how do i apply scales to playing songs??

fenderrules

Humph....im really really tired of being a ryhthm guitarist already....

Okay, my question is.....how do you lead guitarists use scales into becoming rock slammin' solos?? And how long does it usually take to master this skill??

Orite thats what i wanna know

Thanx guys!!

People usually play major, minor pentatonic scales to start off. Pentatonic usually you can just play over all the progression changes without sounding out.

Pier.

but it tends to get boring. cause pentatonic shapes are rather restricted.

anyone got tips on making major scales and other scales sound rockish? apart from pentatonic scale.

skip strings?

pick attack alone makes a world of difference.. i usually accentuate notes which i feel forms the main melody of the solo ...etc... or use a more percussive picking attack.

also use both different pickup positions to solo ... i constantly alternate between neck and bridge... for added experssion ...

hifi_killer said:
frankly i think pentatonics is good enough

Bleh, I personally find modes sound more "matured" if you will ehehe. Then again, thats just me, cos i stink at workin with pentatonics...

Jiro said:
Whats pick attack?

pick attack is basically how HARD you pick. by varying the strength you use to play ...it will enable, to a certain extent, a way to show emotion.

its kinda like making love...

Pentatonic restricted? i beg to differ...

You can use pentatonic to switch between major/minor sounds above dominant chords. In addition, you can add one extra note to the scale to make it a blues scale. Chromatic can also be applied wisely between the pentatonic notes. Besides, you can connect pentatonic shapes with major/minor shapes. Start simple, take your time. My advice is to start with blues.

It also depends on how you want to tell your story. Guitarists like jimi hendrix or bb king needed only 5 notes to express themselves.

Lastly, don't stop playing rhythm. No rhythm = no solo. Rhythm here doesnt always mean playing chords, it's also like what drummers like to do.

okay guys thanx a lot....i think i understand the whole scale thingy....well, i should say i know a 2 scales, the G pentatonic and one blues scale someone has taught me...here it is:

e-5-8---------------------------------------
B-5-8---------------------------------------
G-5-7---------------------------------------
D-5-7---------------------------------------
A-5-7---------------------------------------
E-5-8---------------------------------------

Do any of you guys know this scale??

Oh...and last of all......what kind of scales are popular in punk music?? I really need to cuz im having a band trying to meet Green Day's standards

Thank you sooooo much..
:):)

ok here goes

these are the 5 different shapes of A minor penta

e|--3--(5)-
B|--3--5--
G|-(2)-5--
D|--2--5--
A|--3--5--
E|--3-(5)-

e|--(5)--8-
B|---5--8--
G|---5--7--
D|---5-(7)-
A|---5--7--
E|--(5)--8-

e|--8--10--
B|--8-(10)-
G|--7--9---
D|-(7)-10--
A|--7--10--
E|--8--10--

e|--10--12
B|-(10)-13
G|---9--12
D|--10--12
A|--10-(12)
E|--10--12

e|--12--15
B|--13--15
G|--12-(14)
D|--12--14
A|-(12)-15
E|--12--15

basically thats ur a minor penta scale, its movable

IMPORTANT, u can play the notes in there lyk nobodies business, try to land on the bracketed notes, but note, DO NOT BEND....hahaha, beginnin to sound lyk mi guitar teacher

Yep...pentatonics are very repetative and mundayne to me...would prefer to pick an arpeggio over tow octaves on the V chord :D

Latest posts

Back