guitar shops

My usual shops that I go to browse around are:
1. Swee Lee, both at Bras Basah and MFO. So far, I'm ok with them as I usually help myself to the guitars and they let me play without bothering me too much.
I usually try both electrics and acoustics.

2. Excel Trading, also at Bras Basah and on the same floor as Swee Lee. At the moment the shop is undergoing some renovation so they moved to a smaller shop on the same floor. Sells mostly Crafter, TGM, Aria Pro II and one or two pretty good acosutics. Price is low to middle. Good place for accessories and effects too. But they are not a true blue guitar shop as they also sell sporting goods. They have a warehouse that sells more guitars. Can ask the lady boss about it.

3. City Music. One of my fave shops as prices are reasonable and I get my strings there most of the time. They stock Martin SP series strings.

4. Davis Music. I usually go there to buy guitar parts for replacements.

5. Ashleigh Music. Also located at Peninsula Shopping Centre, on level 2. Sells low to mid end guitars like Peal, TGM, Santa Fee etc. Also does guitar repairs.

6. Luther Music. Went there only once as was out of the way. But my friend frequents there and always recommend me there. Plan to go there more often.

7. Music Plaza. I'm not a fan of Yamaha guitars. They don't make them in Japan anymore. Besides, pricing is rather steep.

8. Guitar Gallery and the shop next door, all at Park Lane. Mostly high end guitars from Gibson, Fender and Gretsch. There is also another guitar shop one floor up. Small shop that sells accessories also.

9. Sinamex at Park Lane. Mostly Taylors. For the people wih the dough.

10. Esden Trading. At Sim Lim Square. Mostly low to mid end guitars and Kustom amps.

11. On line. Still the best deals for second hand guitars. Bought 2 already and they're great buys. But you need to know what to look for. Let the buyer beware.

Well, that's my top 10 + 1 list. Happy shopping!

8)

Wow george left swee lee? Where did he go ? Dude must have worked there for most of his life. Somehow, even though he can be a bit one kind, guess thats a bit commendable.

veganbleu said:
Wow george left swee lee? Where did he go ? Dude must have worked there for most of his life. Somehow, even though he can be a bit one kind, guess thats a bit commendable.

I heard that George works as a Music Teacher..after he had some problems with Sweelee.... :roll:

Guys,

just to try and present the other side of the story, to be fair to the music retail guys, they get all sorts of customers as well. Its already difficult running a music store in singapore, plus they have to cope with the fact that ever day some teenage punk thinking he's going to be the next malmsteen or vai or whatever coming in spending hours wihtout buying anything. Its only natural that they classify customers into the looking only, maybe buying, and buying kind.

For one thing, Raymond at sim lim may seem a little inconsistent but i went to him to repair my mesa boogie even though i didnt buy it from him and he went out of his way to repair it for me. It was difficult to find the parts as well since mine was a out of production model. he's also told me of unreasonable customers who would go into his shop, demand that he set up a mesa boogie full stack so that he can test his sound. I mean, with the scale of business he runs, he cant afford to open up a new amp just so some guy can get his rocks off and walk out. Even if the customer buys its likley he will ask for a brand new unit. That being said, i can also understand why Davis doesnt really like everyone strumimng on his PRS guitars. lets be reasonable, each of those guitars cost 2-3k, with a small scratch or ding no one's gonna want to buy them. So before, we start flaming each and every person who sells guitars for a living here, lets look at it from their perspective alright?

However, i do agree that they would only be doing their own businesses a favour if they knew more about customer service. :wink:

True... running a music store is difficult especially with those metal head and those guys who just learn guitar went to play on their guitar without buying. I remember this particular ACJC guy went to davis and play romance in the night on a BC rich guitar! The old man face was fuming and i was laughing my head off. There's nothing wrong playing romance in the night but on a BC rich?! There's another amature ACJC guy went to guitar gallery and saw this flying V. He say this is cool, this is what he wants. He didn't even know the name of the guitar and he wants to try it. No offense guys... i just think these people are dumb. They are so well off that they can buy any guitar they want. Unlike me, work my head off just to buy one guitar.

I think beginner guitarist should go do some study on what guitar they want before going to shop and make a fool of themselves. Running a music instrument business is already bad enough, and these people are making their live even worse.

But on the other end, dealers should improve on their customer service. Guitar gallery got a good service, so i choose to buy my guitar there instead of swee lee. I went to swee lee only when that tattoo guy is around (is he still there?) So both side needs to improve instead of killing each other.

Hi guys

A new guitar shop (at least to me) at Parklane Mall (where Guitar Galery is).
It's located at the basement just as you wlak down the steps. It's called Novelty Music. Sells guitars, mainly low to mid-end (eg TGM, etc) and lots of guitar accessories. Also sells stationery.

Yes, that tattoo guy still works at Swee Lee.

8)

Wow i read the whole article from the first..
really enlightenting..
ya..i agree we should take a more friendly approach to shop owner..
but tehy should do same to us... teh genuine buyer..
sometime.. we really got to try before buying ma..
then end up try already dun like..
how to explain to them.... :cry:

BF109E said:
Hi guys

It's located at the basement just as you wlak down the steps. It's called Novelty Music. Sells guitars, mainly low to mid-end (eg TGM, etc) and lots of guitar accessories. Also sells stationery.

8)

The shop also sells Garrison and Seagulls, think the owner can bring in Godins also. Cheap strings too.

Hi guys

Is that the shop that sells pianos too? That's the nicest, well renovated music instrument shop in S'pore. i almost though it was a boutique for clothings!

marshall_law said:
Hi guys

Is that the shop that sells pianos too? That's the nicest, well renovated music instrument shop in S'pore. i almost though it was a boutique for clothings!

No the shop doesn't sell pianos. That's another shop in a different building. The one that I am talking about is at Park Lane Mall in the basement, where McDonalds is located.

8)

Lifehouse said:
BF109E said:
Hi guys

8)

The shop also sells Garrison and Seagulls, think the owner can bring in Godins also. Cheap strings too.

i just perchase my garrison G4E 1 week ago.... i must say they sound very good. canadian guitars sure are good buys......

No the shop doesn't sell pianos. That's another shop in a different building. The one that I am talking about is at Park Lane Mall in the basement, where McDonalds is located.

Eh... no? Maybe i mistaken it. Is the shop you talking about has very nice refurbish?

Park Lane seems to be the hip place for guitar shops now. Let me just list the shops I know down there:

Basement:
Sinamex,
Novelty Guitar (facing McD's and near the main entrance, can't miss it),
And another new shop near the corner entrance (can't rem the name) which has very nice expensive looking refurbish and sells grand pianos, but cheap guitars.

2nd Floor:
Guitar Gallery

3rd Floor:
D'Music, sells cheap guitars, strings, a lot of instructional books,
And another new shop i can't rem the name, they do repairs and it has a studio too.

All the shops seem to have good service. I like Park Lane, it's my favourite haunt now :eek:

Park Lane seems to be the hip place for guitar shops now. Let me just list the shops I know down there:

Basement:
Sinamex,
Novelty Guitar (facing McD's and near the main entrance, can't miss it),
And another new shop near the corner entrance (can't rem the name) which has very nice expensive looking refurbish and sells grand pianos, but cheap guitars.

2nd Floor:
Guitar Gallery

3rd Floor:
D'Music, sells cheap guitars, strings, a lot of instructional books,
And another new shop i can't rem the name, they do repairs and it has a studio too.

All the shops seem to have good service. I like Park Lane, it's my favourite haunt now

You left out music factory. I think it is one level above D'music. They customised guitars, repairs, recording services and sells 2nd hand guitar.

Ah Music Factory. That's the one i was mentioning on the 3rd floor..hmm now i can't remember is it the 3rd or 4th floor. Haven't actually gone inside there yet, i should check it out one of these days.

marshall_law said:
Samick guitars in davis. Around $200 you can even get a flying V. Got to stand their attitude though.

I can not agree more. When to Davis shop and ask the spec of the lower range guitar and the obasan said "This type cheap one, we don't know lah" :x . Hearing that I show a discontent face, then she added "if I tell you wrong you also don't know". :evil: So I walk out.

Then I go to the other small shop at bra basah. Though that lady don't know the spec , she is apologetic about it :) and assured me that a lot of customers have bought the guitar without complain :D .I am planning to buy from them when they move to their new shop next week.

If for the same guitar I don't mind paying 5-10% more to get some good customer service and respect. Why should one pay to get humiliation. And I am sure someday I will buy a 2k range guitar (Unless my finger are being chop off :lol: ) and I will surely remember my experience.

alternatively, you can ask for guitar specs HERE. we are not guitar shops/ dealers & would help you out if it's within our means... :)

eh........I've end up buying a guitar from Davis :oops:

ok, ok I can explain :lol: ...... what happen is this. My friend insisted that they are ok, so I give them a second chance and visited their shop again. This time round they are much more attentive. Especially, that middle age gentleman (I suppose he is the owner). He is very knowledgeable and skillful and even help to fine tune the guitar give me some guidance. I am very much impressed and so end up buying from them.

But I've to say only if he is around then the situation is different. The rest of the staff are quite a guitar idoit. They are merely keeping a watch and make sure you don't play around with their guitar.

There is this young man in the shop that I've tried to ask some questions, All he does is simply say "I don't know". He don't even want to put in the effort to ask his boss. I feel sad for him, I mean if he is going to be like that he is going to loss his job (Unless he is the son of the boss) OR Davis is going to loss more customer.

hackernox said:
There is this young man in the shop that I've tried to ask some questions, All he does is simply say "I don't know". He don't even want to put in the effort to ask his boss. I feel sad for him, I mean if he is going to be like that he is going to loss his job (Unless he is the son of the boss) OR Davis is going to loss more customer.

Ohhh... that useless guy. I think he just some employee of davis. He pretty much useless in the shop. He arrange the guitar, take them down for trying, clean the guitar and most of the free time he just stand do nothing. Even the young girl know more about guitar than him.

If you're going, you make sure that know what you are there for. They don't welcome look-see shoppers. I've gone there, and most of time i don't have problem with them. I've even talked to the obasan quite a couple of time. They also introduce me whatever new items they have. The bottomline is be polite and don't be a fool when you go in there. Davis don't welcome idiot who come asking stupid question. But if you know nuts about guitar, you should approach the pretty young lady. She will introduce you about guitars in details. So it's all about finding the right guy.

Back