GT2 & TRIAC users

Its not meant to. Cos then the output tone gets coloured by the preamp section of the amp, which defeats its purpose. It works best if plugged directly into the P.A. mix or in the FX loop.

i use it as a stompbox. No money to get other stuff. But then i have thought about that before, therefore i u put it the amp's EQ to 12 o'clock for all.

You CAN plug into the clean of your amp, but make sure the settings on it are as neutral and flat as possible. The whole point of the GT2/TRI AC is for them to work more as amp simulators than distortion effects. So you'll have to do tweaking in order to get the most out of it. The best results still come from plugging direct to PA or the effects loop as BlackMoo mentioned.

If you set your amp eq to flat.......then your clean tone will be flat eq'ed? i usually try to strike a balance......acceptable eq for my cleans and then engage the GT2 and tweak my dist. tone from there.

Flat eq on the amp's clean channel. Any eq that needs to be adjusted is done on the GT2/Tri AC.

If it's the Tri AC then its possible cos u can have a seperate clean channel.......as im a GT2 user i don't really recommend setting your amp to flat EQs cos its gonna be quite crappy imo

Yea, you have a point there.

As for myself, i never really use an amp just solely on clean. I like the slight dirt that a pedal can provide, and another to take the gain up for chunkier rhythms and stuff. Somehow i just feel that the half clean sounds of a crunchy amp with the volume backed off a little sounds that much nicer than pure clean. But as always, feel free to experiment and find that settings that work best for you! :D

It's not a good reference point setting ur EQ "flat" on a guitar amp and comparing that to a PA. Guitar amps and speakers are not voiced flat at all in the first place, in fact, they are pretty lo-fi.

pooo said:
Yea, you have a point there.

As for myself, i never really use an amp just solely on clean. I like the slight dirt that a pedal can provide, and another to take the gain up for chunkier rhythms and stuff. Somehow i just feel that the half clean sounds of a crunchy amp with the volume backed off a little sounds that much nicer than pure clean. But as always, feel free to experiment and find that settings that work best for you! :D

+1. I have the first channel with slightly dirty and usually play with the humbuckers in parrallel and volume down to sound clean. the clean on the tweed is too clean for my liking.

nice discussion guys, that was part of the factor pulling me to get the Tri AC cos i've been using GT2 for a long time and needed more options. Though the last time i tried 1 at Sinamex....there was a discernable difference in the california setting tho....or maybe its just me?

The Tri AC is a different animal from the GT2.

Its more vintage sounding and has less gain.

For modern stuff or heavy stuff, the GT2 wins hands down. But if you want a more vintage feel with a more practical live application, get the Tri AC.

If its vintage and low gain, you CAN still boost it up with another drive pedal before it. But if its modern and high gain, you'll find it harder to get something vintage and overdriven.

pseudo tube amp style? putting a ts-9 or sd-1 before it will get nice boosted tone?? this is getting more tempting......best is to get mesa rect-o-verb :lol:

edo83 said:
pseudo tube amp style? putting a ts-9 or sd-1 before it will get nice boosted tone?? this is getting more tempting......best is to get mesa rect-o-verb :lol:

Yup... :) The TRI AC actually does a very close approximation of a tube amp. In fact, the guys at Tech21 actually recommend not using a Tube Amp with their TRI AC, TRI OD and GT2 sansamps... reason being that the sansamps already do a good job emulating the compression of a tube amp, adding a real tube amp would introduce too much compression.

Interesting indeed!

GAS.....Shredcow....you're reliving my interest in TRI AC now. feel like getting 1 to pair up with a SD-1. mind if you do a short sample of california setting rhythm crunch and boosting with ts-9 for lead tones? :lol:

I believe Shredcow plays on the Brit setting? As do I. Boosting the Calif setting with an overdrive might be overkill, but don't quote me on this.

true also....but i like mesa-like rhythms......if need a lead tone, then i might be tap dancing to 2nd setting on tri ac and a booster lol....i dunno i think im too fussy :lol:

sometimes i look at all of us, acquiring and replacing stuffs on our pedalboards just to achieve THAT tone in your head.......maybe it's really better if we just bought the head/combo that its tone is the one you're after :lol: i'm really on GAS high now...don't mind me. Me being anal bout tone is very true afterall hahaha

Latest posts

Back