Gloves that prevents wrist injuries

RayKnight

I'm not sure if this is a 'glove' but does anyone own one of these products that actually helps protect your wrists from injuries when playing the guitar or bass? I went to a couple of shops selling sport equipments but they are not sure if the 'gloves' that are for sports-related injury-prevention can also be used for guitar / bass playing.

Might anyone own one of these products or can recommend? Thanks in advance.

Is it really necessary? If you are straining to play at certain angle, then... change the angle. No need to look cool with the guitar slung so low that your wrist has to bend at an acute angle.

Jonny Greenwood of Radiohead was known for wearing an arm brace (yes a arm brace that restricts movement not just glove) due to repetitive stress injury, but unless you are that aggressive when performing I think you should at least consider changing your posture/playing angle first.

From what I know those gloves would just restrict movement when playing. Is the glove for your picking, fretting or both hands?

If its for the fretting hand then it wont really work, just follow carboxymoron's advice strap the guitar higher so that the fretting hand isn't in such an awkward position. Wearing gloves like that is probably like wearing ankle guards to prevent sprains while running on uneven ground, its not very effective.

I play sitting down most of the time and I adjust my strap to a suitable level when I play standing, slightly higher than Joe Satriani's position and slightly lower than Tom Morello's. Somewhere in between. Just so my arms are not over-stretched or discomfort. And the glove is for my picking hand, not the fretting one. My fretting hand is okay, just that my picking hand sometimes get kinda strained.

Hmm, that shouldn't happen if you don't play like jonny greenwood... Or do you? haha.. What kind of strain do you feel? If its a muscular strain like you've been downpicking fast for hours then its just a matter of learning to relax your picking hand.. If its an over stretch strain then you should reposition your picking hand.

I don't think you need sports gloves for that.

No, I'm not taught to anchor my pinky on my guitar when picking. I did that when I first started out but it's a habit that I stopped.

Thanks wck. Perhaps it's the muscle but there's this 'nerve' that seems to be 'twitching' after guitar practice, I'm not sure if it'll develop into something major, carpal tunnel?

It could a number of things ranging from your picking technique, how hard you play, the way you hold the pick and where you rest your hand when picking etc... Are you doing any repetitive movements that are strenuous? Even if it strains your hand slightly, it can develop into some form of repetitive stress injury.. Just a matter of time.

Its better to see a doctor about it if possible rather than listen to my advice haha. Cos most of us aren't experts and we haven't seen you play to tell whats wrong with your hand.

Thanks for the feedback. It's okay so far, but like awhile ago, have been experiencing a bit of pain and ache. I'm not sure if that has something to do with me weight lifting and over-exertion of strength so that might be one causing factor.

I saw something about anchoring picky on guitar body; is that a wrong thing to do? I realised that I do that quite abit.

Been playing guitars for 18 years...
Gloves..???
If you want to be good, you have to take the pain.. your body will get used to it.. it's muscles..!
Just the same topic of new guitarist who keeps complaining about their finger tips skin peeling off and all the pain when they started learning guitars... My finger tips are soft.. not hard, no peel, nothing..!! Even when i play hard acoustics, no pain, no peel!

Been playing guitars for 18 years...
Gloves..???
If you want to be good, you have to take the pain.. your body will get used to it.. it's muscles..!
Just the same topic of new guitarist who keeps complaining about their finger tips skin peeling off and all the pain when they started learning guitars... My finger tips are soft.. not hard, no peel, nothing..!! Even when i play hard acoustics, no pain, no peel!

Actually, if you experience pain while playing, it isn't good. It means that either you've been picking wrongly or you are overstraining your wrist. Overstraining of your wrist can result in many unwanted and unnecessary injuries. Pain in wrist can also be a sign of carpal tunnel syndrome.

The type of gloves I'm talking about would be something that will ensure that your wrist is positioned properly, you don't see people swinging dumbbell recklessly while weight lifting, you don't see people flailing their drum sticks while drumming. Sitting in an upright position while playing the piano is important, posture when playing classical guitar. They aren't just there to serve as a "rule" but there's a reason behind the rule.

So no, it isn't the same kind of topic about skin peeling and callous building. It is about preventing injuries while you play and enjoy your activity.

Back