glass fender stratocasters

u're referring to those transparent clear plastic/glass guitars right?

i think u have to custom shop one from the fender custom shop.

i've seen transparent ones but they're all not fender.

and it doesn't make sense for fender to make one in mass production since their philosophy places tone first over looks. making a guitar with a body other than wood would make it sound different to say the least.

usually they're plastic because glass is too heavy and wont tae the pressure of being hung on its entire weight over 2 strap buttons by the side.

ya, usually they make the body out of acrylic. imagine the massive chipping and cracking that would occur with a solid glass body. Have you seen the acrylic mockingbird at Music Plaza? It's something like that, I suppose you could get it cut pretty cheaply at some art store, if you wanna DIY it.

You know... alternate body materials like plastic aren't that bad? Joe Satch uses Chromeboy, and thats a plastic body... correct me if I'm wrong though! :)

of course... with certain pickups wood is actually irrelevant imo to the sound...

just happens fender is deeply rooted to the "create the vintage sound" philosophy. most fender players are too into the vintage stuff concept and that's how fender markets a lot of their models.

they do make a concerted effort to move on with new grounds though; just depends whether consumers are willing to make the quantum leap with major overhauls.

ShredCow said:
You know... alternate body materials like plastic aren't that bad? Joe Satch uses Chromeboy, and thats a plastic body... correct me if I'm wrong though! :)

really? i always thought Chromeboy was a regular JS model that's dipped in chrome and then finished that way. but the chrome always had trouble bonding to the guitar, so his Chromeboys were always getting airbubbles under the finish. so he has a few of them and some of them have airbubbles and some don't (or at least, they didn't, when i read about the Chromeboy way back)

thor666 said:
of course... with certain pickups wood is actually irrelevant imo to the sound....

Yep, stick some EMGs on a acrylic guitar and you won't hear any difference in the tone, IMO active speakers don't adopt as much of the wood characteristic as passive pickups, but at high gain who can notice anyway? :D

serialninja said:
really? i always thought Chromeboy was a regular JS model that's dipped in chrome and then finished that way.

They are made of luthite if i'm not mistaken. Btw, those acrylic or, plexiglass guitars are really pretty heavy. It's definitely not a good idea to play one for an entire set.

The ones that were in mass production were made of luthite.
Satch's own was a regular JS made of basswood, which was why the finish kept coming off and the air bubbles and all that stuff.

Check out the acrylic fender custom shop strat there.
Rig.JPG

Latest posts

Back