Getting seperate tracks Help!

jupzones

Hi all!

Currently to get recordings, I record my band 'live' by plugging in all the instruments into my behringer mixer, and using the usb interface to connect it to my laptop.

the usb interface looks like this

UCA202_big-c5c66c5ee06b3a89a1fe3b25a7ba0cb3.jpg

one end goes into the mixer output, the other into the back of my delta audio loud speaker.

then i'm able to get a single track input in audacity with all the instruments being recorded live.

my question is, would it be possible to set it so that when i record, each input comes in with it's own track/channel?

eg guitar 1, guitar 2, vocals 1, vocals 2, kick drum, snare drum, tom1,tom2, bass

so that i can adjust the volume of each instrument after recording?

cuase right now what we have to do is just jam and listen and make the suitable changes.

cant edit individual instrument volume at the end.

my mixer is a behringer xenyx 2442FX

2442FX_big-36442c373cb8e85fd97f62418d49a006.jpg

hope you guys can help me!

jupzones : thanks for the details. most ppl who post often leave out their gear details then end up we gotta ask "what mixer are you using?"

1st of all you got a nice mixer there.
2nd , the bad news is, you pretty much bought the wrong item for the wrong purpose. or at least you're 50% right.
getting a huge mixer with multiple XLR channel inputs for your whole band = correct.
with the purpose of "INDIVIDUAL MULTITRACK RECORDING" = wrong.

kindly read = http://soft.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?t=38326
you'll find your answer in : "Cost-Efficiency for purpose "

here's a quick highlight of what's going on in your setup :

"vocals/instrument > mic > preamp > soundcard > USB/Firewire/PCI > PC > DAW"

in your case...

"the whole band > mics/etc > behringer xenyx (preamp) > behringer USB interface (soundcard) > USB > PC etc."

apparently behringer USB interface ONLY records 2 channels a.k.a STEREO a.k.a LEFT AND RIGHT

the presonus firepod/FP10 mentioned on the FAQ I typed does multitrack recording. but some ppl insist on a "mixer" feel, then I can recommend what I'm using currently :
http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=D888&category_id=3

or something more powerful

http://www.korg.com/gear/info.asp?a_prod_no=D3200&category_id=3

other softies like unsane (inversion studios) mentioned a Phonic Helix firewire mixer or some sort also. if not mackie onyx.

so.. yeah if you want something multitrack, you can go ahead and sell off this mixer and start saving for something else. and do take note, it'll hurt your wallet hehe. multitrack is not cheap.

50¢ worth

blueprintstudios: thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

with regards to the second korg mixer you linked to me, how would plug in more than 8 inputs? i only see 8 xlr, but the website says up to 32 are allowed.

right now im using

1) Kick drum
2) Snare
3) Tom
4) Floor Tom
5) Mic 1
6) Mic 2
7) Guitar 1 (miced)
8) Guitar 2 (miced)
9) Bass

also, i'm not a drummer so i have no idea how to eq drums on the mixer, would it be possible to share some links/resources to eqing drums and vocals as well?

right now i find i sound very whiny on record, which doesn't sound like how i do i real life.

here are some links to some recordings, any tips?

excuse the poor playing, we're kinda rusty and we were jamming for the first time with a new drummer.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=770690

The D3200 provide up to 32 tracks of simultaneous playback and up to 12 tracks of simultaneous recording.

Are you good with computer? Do you have a power power computer set up currently? The reason I am asking is so that we can recommed you to go with computer-base DAW or stand-alone DAW.

jupzones :
32 tracks simultaneous playback
12 tracks simultaneous recording @ 48 kHz / 44.1 kHz 16-bit, (16 tracks, using 12 analog inputs, S/P DIF and Session Drums™)

16 tracks simultaneous playback
12 tracks simultaneous recording @ 48 kHz / 44.1 kHz 24-bit

----

i don't know if prices have been updated or accurate but this's my say -

Presonus FP10 = $640. 8 channels, but need PC+firewire to record.can record at 24bit 96khz quality. not ideal for those comfortable with the feel of a Mixer.

Korg D888 = $1.2K+/- , 8 channels, only 16bit 44.1khz , standalone. mobile.

Korg D3200 = $1.8K+/- , 12/16 channels depends 16/44.1 or 24/48. quite heavy. but power house effects processing , you probably won't need a PC at all and mix on it purely.

do discuss with mr wallet.

50¢ worth

Back