Fender: 60th Anniversary Commemorative Standard Stratocaster

subversion

320327.jpg

Fender 60th Anniversary Commemorative Standard Stratocaster
Nett: $800

Unlike vintage collectibles, commemorative guitars remain to be true contemporaries, decorated with commercial appeal, enough to make them unique & desireable. There isn’t any time tested elements as default investment accessories; so if you choose to invest in a commemorative product, value appreciation shouldn’t be a primary criterion. This 2006, Fender celebrates it’s Diamond Anniversary as a commercial entity, true to their commemorative practices, the 60th Anniversary guitars were conceived to mark this glorious longevity.

Fit/ Finish
There is no vintage recreation in this commemorative Standard, what you get is the Standard Mexican model typical of its series. However, upon close scrutiny & personal handling, this guitar’s presence is special. The feel of its finish in whole, is virtually above that of its non-commemorative siblings. You can definitely feel the extra measures taken to make the satin tinged neck very welcoming. Even the Standard hardware equipped in this guitar exudes a certain specialty. The manufacturer did not reveal any special features in this aspect so it all boils down to the extra meticulous quality control which account significantly for its top offerings here.

One would usually lament the minor but evident flaws present in many of Fender’s Mexican selections but this commemorative Standard is free from those short-comings.

Playability tone
Owing to its superb fitting, this guitar’s playability is naturally top-notch. The modern C-profiled neck, coupled with the 9.5” radius is a spectacular combination. The default action here might be a little too towering for shred proponents but it is necessary to prevent bend-type string chokes (especially at the upper frets); with a neck this addictive, string bending is inevitable.

The other gem in this guitar proves to be the trio of default Tex Mex pickups. Do we often not resign in annoyance after hearing a Standard Strat in action simply because the default single coils are singularly spectacular? Not with the Tex Mex; these were designed to ensure outstanding performance both clean & driven. The Tex Mex thrives on overdrive but nothing excessive please, these aren’t noise-free like their stacked counterparts. Armed with an equally capable amplifier, this guitar is an ace plug-&-play performer. This is a very astute move by the manufacturer; as opposed to merely offering a visual commemorative, fantastic pickups were included to ensure the guitar is marked for its accomplished voicings.

The only annoyance here was the guitar’s poorly lubricated nut but it will only torment excessive whammy employers. This isn’t a frown-worthy anomaly; many guitar proponents here would deem this an expected aberration. In fact, the onus is on the owner to ensure this component is well lubricated for their personal needs. This Strat isn’t a locking bridge/ nut variety so return-to-pitch issues are part & parcel of its nature.

Conclusion
This Strat is a brilliant player, that is all there is to it. Price-wise, it’s still the most affordable Mexican make, a good $300 off the list price of its nearest rival- the Satin Standard Strat (List: $1,100), but the tone, playability & sheer finesse it exudes is very much beyond its asking price. If you are the snob who dismisses non-American/ Japanese Fenders for its sheer pariah status, judge the 60th Commemorative in light of its brilliant feel & tone. Keep in mind that an anniversary commemorative isn’t as appreciative as a vintage collectible, purchasing one for the sake of investment is a fatal gambit (unless the very product itself proves to be collectible subsequently). This guitar has a limited production run, limited to this 2006- a highly recommended gem that won’t cost you an arm or some kidneys.

Rating: 9/10

• Neck feel
• Preferred pickups included (Tex Mex)
• Price

Dislikes:

• Limited finish/ options (available in one finish & one fingerboard type only)
• Nut needs lubrication

hey i gt this guitar n the thing dat bugs me is dat my A string keeps breaking...n the rest is juz awesome...u will regret if u dun buy it..

Agree with u arthur......my best buy so far :) .....but....i dun have the same problem as u.....and I'm a string bender kind of person....what string u using??

was usin stock gauge den start to snap...brought to the tech den he sae no prob so now i use slim to heavy bottoms...n now nv break liao..

string breakage- most likely due to sharp saddle/ improper nut cut. the review model did manifest nut-related issues but no strings snapped during the audition.

Got 1 piece of it just not long ago! Definitely a bang for buck guitar, same gripe of only available in 1 finish

swee lee: bras basah/ sims drive warehouse showroom 8)

to anyone interested in any 60th Ann models, be reminded that these are limited run units, make efforts while they are still available...

when i tried the guitar at sweelee BB....the 1st one that i tried was the display piece....which is really bad imo....the action was high, 2nd tone control doesn't work properly and the volume pot a bit stiff....So, I asked them to let me try a new piece.....they gave me the out of the box piece....it's awesome! so I just bought it without trying other guitar....thanks so much for subversion who wrote the review...... :wink:

i'm really glad you tried the display unit with due consideration- sometimes, these get overplayed in the store & they kinda deteriorate in certain aspects but it's definitely not the true representative of a fresh piece.

the Std 60th Ann model is really a good guitar through & through.

also, if you have really made up your mind as to which guitar to get, you'll find the sales people more accomodating, for a simple reason- they know their efforts in serving you would not come to nought 8)

Was these sold during the SL EOY sale? If it did, means it was sold at $400?
I went but didn't see. Maybe I missed?

yes they were. these are NETT priced items, it's NOT subjected to the 50%, but it was discounted nevertheless...

the guitar rulez...do u guys find dat the finishin of the neck change wafter a while?mine became shinier n smoother...cos i prefer the more rough kind..lyk the oringinal feelin..

pnokio- if memory serves me right, it's a 10% off

ARTHUR- this guitar's neck has a thin satin finish, it'll wear off very nicely over time compared to nitro cellulose type (think Gibson), especially so when you sweat like crazy every time you play.

Does this model comes with Medium-Jumbo frets?
I've read from fender site that 2006 standard strats all come with that?

Latest posts

Back