female drummers

yosh

your thoughts?

are there actually alot of female drummers around? as in drumset players?

know any good female drummer?

or do we all drummers are MCPs and feel females arent suited for the instrument?

opinions?

I heard of a local one. Audrey, Berklee graduate. Her band is Walking On Water.

Some famous ones include Sheila E and Terri Lyne Carrington.

There are quite a few. It's just that compared to the amount of male drummers, it pales significantly in comparison.

I know some female drummers who can kick my ass in a drum battle or something like that. I think female drummers are so few in comparison because they usually don't like to bang stuff (heh heh) or they just prefer other instruments that are deemed not as violent.

true but we girl drummers are on the rise okay? you MCPs better get outa the way :D it's true that there are fewer female drummers (my class has 2 out of 9 people) but we are increasing in number! haha.

My first drum instructor is a female! Heh... Think she kicks butt then, and is continuing to do so now.

And yar, Sheila E's great! Caught her at the Abe Laboriel and friends concert last year! (Hope they'll come back again!) It was really Rad!

Hmmm... don't know that many locally. See them sometimes in jam studios, but mostly in churches... Though there are many good female drummers internationally.

Apart from those already named in this thread, there's also Cindy Blackman, who, as a teenager was Art Blakey's protegé and also rehearsal drummer. Now she plays regularly with Lenny Kravitz and when she's not touring she's gigging in NYC jazz clubs... Met her once when she played in a little dive in NYC called The Zinc Bar. She was so killer good... and a nice person too...

Those of you who went to see Robben Ford play here, was it last year or 2 years ago? His drummer is Hilary Jones. Went to her clinic at China Jump. Almost wanted to give up playing drums, because she had all that drum corp technique down! And she's got polyrhythms and odd meters down too!

Alison Miller, who toured with Natalie Merchant, also plays some mean bebop!

Then there's Caroline Corr, of The Corrs. Hmmm, ok I prefer her on Bodhran than on drumset...

Karen Carpenter. Yes, the singer with the smooth alto sound. She used to sing and play drums -- not easy ok? Then because of marketing, the record execs got her out from behind the drumset and made her stand in the front. Apparantly that made her so self-conscious, that she began starving herself and later died of anorexia nervosa.

Debbie Peterson, drummer of 80's band, The Bangles. Think she played drums and sang too. Anyone can verify?

I used to know 3 very good Japanese female drummers, Masumi Inaba, another Masumi (forgot her surname) and Emmi Kurosawa. They told me that there are quite a few female drummers from all genres in Japan.

For those who are more curious there's a whole listing in www.drummergirl.com :D

Honestly it's so NOT about gender. It's about commitment to the craft, lots of listening & learning, humility and generosity in spirit. I guess that's what makes a good musician.

Eva From Fluer De Smal Kicks serious ass too. Grinds and fires the pedals way better than some male drummers in SIngapore Here today. Wonder how she's doing now ...

maybe its issues of like physical strength?

i wouldnt expect a gal to double bass at 180 bpm for like 20 mins non stop...
that would be monstrous...

on the other hand, i find that gals are more sensitive to sounds and tend to pick things up faster then guys...

however i must admit to say that its pretty cool to see gals drumming... really puts many guys to shame..haha..

at yamaha i also find quite alot of gals learning drums.. b4 i went i expected to be my class to be all boys but quite surprise to find about 4 to 6 ratio..

eh just an observation ya? not meant to be derrogatory...

lots of females want to learn how to play drums and quite a few start taking up lessons, but only a small number actually get past the "3 minute" phase. *shrug*

^ that applies to every instrument what. Not only drums. I think it happens with guys too. Just that there are many more guys who pick it up. And guys have more motivation - can play = get laid.

Anyway my band's got a female drummer too. (Tainted Friday! hoho) And she's pretty damned good I might say.

:lol:

i guess its time to throw away that concept.

Yep Eva kick ass...one of the few metal grind drummer ive seen ard , know her personally too.

Apart from that, ive seen lots n lots of female drummers at studios mainly Weelee and Boons. But most of em either play punk rock, or pop..

Am still waiting for the rising of more rock/metal f.drummers! 8)

Heh, and dble pedaling not really that diff...

It is all abt practice and practice and practice.

You gotta be serious, like what vio says abt the '3' mins thing, ive seen 2 much peepz out there playing an instrument just for the glamour and "cool" aspect, not to all but i do see a lot.

:roll:

WiZaRd said:
Eva From Fluer De Smal Kicks serious ass too. Grinds and fires the pedals way better than some male drummers in SIngapore Here today. Wonder how she's doing now ...

Eh syed, its fleur du mal lah 8) :p

fored said:
^ that applies to every instrument what. Not only drums. I think it happens with guys too. Just that there are many more guys who pick it up. And guys have more motivation - can play = get laid.

Anyway my band's got a female drummer too. (Tainted Friday! hoho) And she's pretty damned good I might say.

hello shld i start a thread on female guitarists and say the same thing! anyway it's hard to find female drummers! and i daresay i havent seen a single female drummer playing in jamming studios before and yes, the only good ones i know so far are those playing in churches. my church has a power female drummer. actually two. they take turns and when one isnt playing, she plays the tambourine. lol.

LoL...i guess u need to see wher n when.

Seriously, there was a time at one go, i saw 3 jammin rooms occupied with 3 female drummers at Boons.

one playing kylie minogue 8O one playing punk music and the other pop-ish stuff..

Ive heard one of decibel(all girl band) originals b4, i think the drummer`s pretty gd, very groovy music and beats.

Hoping to see more blues jazz rock metal or watsoever drummers out ther :wink:

Lombardo said:
Seriously, there was a time at one go, i saw 3 jammin rooms occupied with 3 female drummers at Boons.

one playing kylie minogue 8O one playing punk music and the other pop-ish stuff..

Hahaha quantity no quality right? That's damn saddening.

Latest posts

Back