Epiphone SG or Les Paul Custom ?

Sub.. the PRS SE Custom looks very nice. how much is it? is it a more versatile axe compare to 60th ani MIM strat?

Greenie00 you can turn a humbucker into a pseudo singlecoil by actually installing a coil tap push pull. But your humbucker must be of a coil splittable make first of course. It will not sound exactly like a singlecoil, just different which may or may not be a good thing. It will suffice for the occasional singlecoil use either way though.

However, the only way to get humbucker tones from a strat is to go a HSS config. But this will cause you some vital tones that are definitive of a strat. The pure humbucking bridge tone is there though. So it's still up to you to decide.

Moving on, SG vs LP.
SG has a more focused fundamental tone ie. more concentrated in the mids. More bite due to the bolt on neck as well.

LP is more creamy and has extended highs and lows due to thicker mahogany back and maple top. It has the massive low mid range push which is the powerful shiokness when you whack a power chord. Kinda reminds me of trying to tame a wild bull when that happens :lol:

Anyway, listen to Guns N' Roses. The sweet child of mine solo is pure les paul tone. The studio version of knockin' of heaven's door solo, which contrary to popular belief, is done by a korina flying V. Lol some wood knowledge here: korina/black limba sounds richer and more alive than mahogany but lacks the thick fat powerful bottom end.

As for an sg, an a doubleneck for one, watch this vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLOJpImH2UY

WOOHOO long posts ftw 8)

$1K can definitely get you a Burny

26377211_1.jpg

i was talking about LP's but yeah, the sg custom does have 3 pickups.

but somehow, gibsons + 3 pickups doenst look right to me. :?

fir, and you used a strat yesterday. HAHA.

lp's and sg's and everything gibson or copies of gibson, SHALL have two pickups ONLY. coil tap is fine by me. :lol:

How much is the SG custom? Any shop sells them?? and in the Guns N' Roses video, the guitarist is using a Sg right? what set up is that?

mark, no choice lah. never bring guitar. haha. slack day.

anyway, let me correct myself. i don't like three hums. :\

Slash does not use just a les paul. He uses a les paul replica by max =D not even made by gibson lol.

That sg he's playing in the video is a sg doubleneck. Will sound bigger than ur typical singleneck sg cause of the huge amount of mahogany is the body.

ooo...seems like many of the guys here dislike my lp..

neuro182: yea..looks familier right?haha..cos u were shredding on it with it's low action & powerful tones of a vintage LP..hahasee u at ebenex again..i'll let u rape it there again..

Back