Earplugs

Yeah.. As a drummer, my ears are the most vulnerable to constant pounding.. I once had a concussion and it took me a few days to recover...

The worst was when I was in ICOM, kudos to ICOM because they had this drum practice room with a complete drumset. But the minus point is that the room is pretty small. About 4 foot by 4 foot. That small!!!

So U could imagine the noise when U hit the drums and cymbals crashing.. My ears were at its limits.

My first practice lasted 15mins as it was to loud..

Small Room + Loud Drums = Ear catastrophe!!!

In the end, I got myself an F1 earplugs!! And for free some more!!

U can get at Sepang circuit for RM20..

Yup U guessed it correctly, those earplugs are worn by the Pit-stop crew when the monsters are coming in for their Pitstops..

Those comfys yellow buds reduces the noise level up to 30db and really helps when U are playing loud and when U r doing a drum tech job..

I never regretted wearing an earplug for every jammin session as it helps.. I don't give a damn if ppl says its uncool.

Its my ears, not theirs!!

redjackal said:
I don't want to go deaf.
that is part of the concern i have when there are blasting gigs on. some people think it is the cool thing to do, to blast to have feel. this is evident also in the jam studios. extreme loudness doesn't equate good music. (note, i mention 'extreme').

To me, safety comes first..

When I first started out. I don't care about all these safety measure. Can say that immaturity plays a part..

And then when I start to experience the symptoms of ear discomfort, thats when I start to press the Panic Button..

In the end, I realized that if only I were to look at how to prevent this mishap from happening, then this thing wouldn't be happening to me...

For those who thinks that they are Superman, please think twice..

Once our ears are deaf, its no the end of the world but how to play music??!!!

redjackal had similar exp as you once...my left ear around the slightly lower the temple area had this sharp pain when i press after jamming...after a week then recover...glad didn't puncture ear drum or something...btw i got quite a few pairs of soft spongy 3M ear plugs...those any good?

i've got tinnitus(ringing in the ears) for 2 days after watching a jam session. Thank god it wasnt permanent, and went away

a lot of things damage your ears, but i think mine is very bad. Was a vice president of the student council, and i have a very loud voice, so was in charge of 'shouting' to lead during school cheers, and i love loud music, and jamming.

i think the combination of this three, coupled with other things, like laughing out very loudly for a long period of times and stuff, caused damage to my right ear.

at first, i felt 'air-rushing in' into my right ear whenever i cough, laugh out loud or shout. then it was the 'slight loss of sound' in my right ear when i listen to music on headphones, or ear phones. My ears become less sensitive to the bass and trebles.

was quite afraid, and i turned down a lot of things, music, even me talking. the ear's getting better, but i still do have the 'air-rushing' thing if i shout out too loud. sigh.

well, when i jam, usually, i just stuff some tissue, or use those big headphones, like brad of linkin park? lol..

well...its not 'not cool' to wear ear plugs. its knowing what's best for you, and nothing's cooler than knowing how to take the best care of your own vital organs!

wow, it looks like many SOFTies here have experienced some kind of hearing impairment. time to seriously consider using ear-plugs OR why not consider not blasting too loud in the first place? can?

i dont blast anything heh.. during jamming.. i tell everyone to turn down and control.. rather than loud and compete dB with each other..

where to get those musician ear plugs huh?
like those musicians always hear (i dun think it's earplug)
but something that look like those. (mould nicely on the external ear)

i'm currently using those cheapskate sponge type and it be bigger than ur ear, therefore i cut it smaller :lol:

shred5 said:
U can get at Sepang circuit for RM20..

can anyone please shed some light on where to get our hands on those good ear plugs.. after going through the links that you all have provided, i'm still at a loss of where to get them.. i don't go malaysia that often so WHERE CAN WE GET IT IN SINGAPORE~?

thanks

ear-plugs1.jpg

My precious F1 paddock..

Try finding any ear plugs at any hardware shops.. Very cheap.. Not more than $2..
As those cheap ones are made of rubber, U have to constantly clean the ear plugs in hot water after every use. Why?? All those ear wax and dirts tend to accumulate la.

And no sharing of earplugs for hygiene purposes!! :lol:

After 3 pages, no one has told us where to find some decent pair of ear plugs. Come on people! :smt021

As I said before, any hardware shop!! The best place would be at beach road army market. They're practically hanging all types of earplugs like chicken kena hang for display.. :lol:

All the best for ur search..

i think he meant by those earplug which will decrease the dB but won't affect the frequency of the sound rather than buying any cheap earplugs and hearing gibberish while using it.

IMO, most earplug's role is the same. To keep put excessive noise that our exceeds our hearing range..

The choice for consumers is the comfort when U wear them whether is it for a short or long period of time..

I can recommend U guys a comfortable but a bit ex earplugs at Guardian. It'll cost abt $6++ and it's made so that U can mold the plugs according to the size of ur earholes.. It reduces sound level up to 29db(its more than enough)..

Hope that the info is useful...

LIVERPOOL!!! Champions League Champion!!!!

Hmm.. it is soft, squishy and can be molded to our earcanal size..

Ask the counter ah.. sure got one..

Do they actually make a mould specially for you? Or is it just a one size fits all thing? So, can I expect to pay only $6 or a little bit more?

All I have is this small orange sponge from the airbase to protect my ears... I wanna the proper musician earplugs but no money liao.. Oh well..

Back