Dimarzio: PAF

subversion

DP155_lrg-48c6866fb1a5cff791f5c3a6b7db59d2.jpg

Dimarzio PAF (DP103F)
List: $169

There is this simple magic which came with the original PAF humbucker that got every pickup manufacturer absorbed. It is to no surprise that many of the major pickup brand names have their version of the PAF in their catalogue to lure players to the aforementioned magnificence.

Dimarzio’s PAF humbucker is one from its vintage range (203mv), nothing too excessive in output but still loud & proud. As the name suggests, this humbucker emulates the open tone, clean sparkle of the original, quite remarkably. As such, the PAF is equally adept in the bridge as it is in the neck. In the latter location, the PAF is simply fabulous, what you’ll hear is an impressive tranparency all jazz cats would fall in love with.

Driven, the PAF is perhaps one of the most neutral/ balanced pickup to manifest your guitar’s inherent character. In the bridge, it’ll pull off some of the most respected muted tones this side of metal, no problems at all despite its portrayal as a proponent of restrained gain. For those of us who are too in love with our Tubescreamers (& its counterparts/ other manifestations), the PAF is simply a warm pickup to be had.

The only thing this PAF would not give you is a harsh, midrange projection. It was conceived to be such, so extreme metal mongers would be wise to consider others in the Dimarzio selection.

All in all, albeit its classic image, the PAF is waxed dipped & has a 4-conductor cable feature that would exude equal warmth in split mode. The manufacturer’s intention is rather clear here- all the vintage vibes without the archaic microphonics.

Worthy competitor:
• Seymour Duncan ‘59

Sub: How similar is this compared to the SD-59? I'm very curious to know. I've got a PAF Pro, and I have a 59. But I don't have the PAF.

Any comments?

i received a PM requesting a rating for the PAF, so here it is:

Rating: 90%

PAF vs Duncan '59
the PAF, like a typical DiMarzio candidate should be, has a rounded midrange response, but retaining the classic voicing. if you are in the market for something more biting but wouldn't stray from the basic vintage tone of the PAF, Duncan's 59 would be a good alternative.

i have the PAF in my Ibanez RG560 (bridge), to my surprise, it does high gain very well, despite its restrained individuality. i've sold off my other high octane DiMarzios (Tone Zone/ Super Distortion/ X2N among others...) but retained this one. rather ironic- something conceived to be polite turned out to be an impressive rouge given the circumstances 8)

rather ironic- something conceived to be polite turned out to be an impressive rouge given the circumstances

I dig where you're coming from... I feel the same way about the Kinman Hank Marvin (FV-HMS) set. I like them so much, I got 2 strats equipped with these. Strange thing is, have you heard the Shadows? That's low gain! Polite, well rounded Belltone! But add some distortion to this set, and hang on to your amp... It really growls like no other Single coil should sound. I highly recommend this set to anyone who wants noiseless SC pickups but with fantastic tone. But that belltone isn't for everyone. Many might prefer the Traditionals. I like those too, but the Hank Marvins are just awesome...

Fantastic bleeding harmonic tone...

Back