difference between keyboardists/pianists

jeifen

correct me if I'm wrong, but i've always thought that keyboard playing was more about chords..can't exactly be playing running notes/arpeggios and stuff on the keyboard cos the keyboard won't respond fast enough esp if your speed is good..it's digital after all..whereas the piano..well it can certaintly show off ur strengths or make ur faults obvious if you aren't so technically secure..

why is it bands don't usually use pianos? (other than cos it's impossible to move a piano around)

Not sure, really. But my guess would be that the keyboard is more versatile... can't do any of those ambient sounds on the piano... considering the amount of gear for a gig, most probably wouldn't want to drag a piano around just for that sound.

Actually, I've heard Jordan Rudess do some pretty amazing stuff on the keyboard. Fast "Guitar" solos... well, that's synth. guitar...

Cheers!

A piano is a keyboard, technically speaking. Keyboards includes everything that has black and white keys - the digital ones and the acoustic ones (pianos, harpsichords, organs). Both can be used to play "chords" and "running notes/ arpeggios" - it is a matter of the genre and type of music one is playing. Many keyboardists use weighted-keyed digital pianos which is very similar to the acoustic piano in feel, thereby narrowing the difference between playing an actual piano and a digital one. In fact, most pianists are very particular about the feel of the keyboard and will like to have one that feels as close as to the real thing as possible.

Why digital? Portability and the ability to play other sounds other than piano. It is not true that digital keyboards responds slower than the acoustic ones. In fact, the unweighted keyed keyboards responds much faster because of the lighter keys. For example, playing repeated demisemiquavers on one note is pretty difficult on a real piano (not impossible) but relatively easy on an unweighted keyboard (this technique is commonly used when playing the B3 organ).

For either digital or acoustic pianos, faults and errors can be picked up easily by the listener if they lack the skills to play a technically difficult piece. Of course, if all they play are pads and sustain chords, the possilibility of making errors are slimmer.

When it comes to rock bands, most people just don't find the time to arrange their pieces to include a keyboard. Except for the "ohhh just a little paddy sound here etc... some organ here etc.." kind of rubbish. This is basically just down to the fact that people write songs while jamming and not really try to arrange things out with the different parts in mind. It's a different ball game when you start to think about the different parts.

quite true....but when keyboardist operating a syntherizer, does he/she need any special electronic course or hardware flow control to learn?? or just need to know how to play piano/keyboard???

LuciferX said:
quite true....but when keyboardist operating a syntherizer, does he/she need any special electronic course or hardware flow control to learn?? or just need to know how to play piano/keyboard???

Depending on the keyboardist, type of music, type of keyboard used etc. If he just plays pads and tingles a little here and there, not much extra knowledge needed - just need to know where the "on" switch is and how to hit the right notes.

IMO, a decent keyboardist should at least know the some of the bread and butter cc - like mod wheel, pitch bend, expression pedal (not damper), aftertouch and some midi functions - how and when to use them.

ic....currently i doesn't own any digital piano or synthersizer, my parents couldn't afford any of these gadgets.... i only have a 2nd hand casio CA-110 keyboard...my only chance to touch a synth is at jamming studio...but i dunno how to operate that synthersizer.....what should i do to learn how to use a syntherizer???

LuciferX said:
my only chance to touch a synth is at jamming studio...but i dunno how to operate that synthersizer.....what should i do to learn how to use a syntherizer???

which synth is that? are you referring to selecting sounds or playing a synth?

i think the idea of having a piano in a band is quite cool.. like a real grand piano :) then you'll have the most realistic piano sounds you'll ever have..

but at the same time u'll have to most realistic limitations as well... no sound patch change, burning fingers from all that finger tapping and quick strokes..... but the sound..... its like a Steinway to Heaven

well said

cheez, i was reading one of your postings above and you mentioned that piano players are very particulat about the touch of the keyboard.
thats very true, i am a piano player and thats exactly how i feel when i play on a keyboard.

cheers

yeah i so totally agree wif leon. although most people would juz say "aiyah keyboard and piano the same lah" but i disagree wif this saying.wif a piano and the right touch , ur audience will somehow be able to feel your playing.but wif a keyboard , i feel that the note produced on the keyboard is the same no matter how delicate your touch is.so u can say it's just as good as being "monotone" when playing the keyboard.

Welcome to the forum Leon.

Same here! I feel that touch comes first for me even before the sound. You can always tweak/ change the sound but there's nothing much you can do about the touch of a keyboard short of getting another one.

Even for pianos, I am particular about the touch. I remember getting so used to the Petrof Grand piano of my former piano teacher's studio that when I switched to playing a Bach upright piano, I just couldn't play it because the keys were too light. Then I found out that I got too used to the grand that most upright pianos (even the reknown Bach pianos) don't give me that touch I want.

i find the touch of my piano too heavy as in i can't generate a better touch as compared to my piano teacher's piano.i find that i can generate a better touch on her piano and i got a feeling that she sent her piano for voicing. i dunno but i think i can juz sense it somehow.the sound of it is juz too "warm" for an upright piano.

try a bosendorfer man... guaranteed u'll like the touch and the action. even the notes are crisp and crystal clear, from bass to high notes. only problem? a little too pricey. i can't even afford a kurzweil mark grand!

a LITTLE too pricey???? woah.. i'd think 'BLOODY' would do it justice. 8O

anyway.. heavy pianos aren't really all that nice to play. when it tires you out too much it takes out all the joy of making music. i've played the 9 foot steinway in VCH and i absolutely loved it. sufficiently heavy for expressive playing, yet light enough to ensure you don't swallow up your fast notes. sheer perfect balance.

erm, where are petrof and bach pianos availiable? i have never heard or seen them before although i have been playing piano for quite some time... i live in the east and the music shops that i came across does not have any of the brands u mentioned, where can i see them?

Latest posts

Back