Dear Mr Bitter Liberty - Pls dont devalue local musicians!!

wat i wanna stress for gig organisers is pls know wat band u r looking for. if its a pub/ club, get gd mature bands who can attract public to the place. dun get kiddo newbie bands who have underage fans who cant go!! it defeats evryting, u cant pack in crowds with dat kinda bands. dun just pick bands from soft or from werd of mouth. audition them! demand portfolios,demos all that so u can choose. make sure they play damn well in watever genre they play, make sure they can entertain so ppl will come and watch n dat will make ur marketing job easier, not passing it to the bands to sell the tix!! marketing is still ur job. (but it sounds challenging for bands to sell the tix as well arr..)

u jolly well know the rental of space is so ex, then y bother do in pubs? u tink it will do the bands gd by gigging there? u wanna kill ur business isit?

if you find it hard to organize gigs in pubs, then go public, like wat ppl been doin past decade or so. proper public gig w/o the charity or govt or religion banners is so hard to find nowadays as compared to last time, i dunno y.
do more of those gigs, so lesser known/ notsogd bands can practice live onstage. isit so hard to do dat?

well now bands;
u try lah sell the tix to strangers see they wanna buy onot. learn to persuade them to buy. in future u nid the art of persuasion to push ur bands furthur up. if u cant ask strangers to buy ur gig tix, wat makes u tink u can sell ur album, merchandise etc tru private distribution in future??? if they die2 dun wanna buy, prolly ur band mite not be dat marketable, then werk at it i say. isnt tix selling a gd barometer for ur band whether u r gd o not? if u gd, push harder, if not stay as hobby lah.

now u wanna get paid? hehe!! be a solid band first lah, then the payment will come..the audience wanna see a band move, entertain, not some bunch of ppl who dun move an inch, smile, communicate well, bad rapport, dress sloppy, sound imbalance but play note for note oh so well!! the audience mite as well plug in their mp3!!

in the end playing music is much easier than organising an event. tink it tru so called musos!!

attitude said:
in the end playing music is much easier than organising an event. tink it tru so called musos!!

Attitude,
its not so much about whether it is easier to play music, or easier to organize a gig, (besides i think your statement is debatable, c'mon you dont have to be a rocket scientist to organize an event)...Anyway the point here is about being taken advantage of...by organisers who do 10% of the work while the bands do the other 90%, and the organisers make the money while the bands get diddly squat! Well i bet when you get taken advantage of, you'll be singing the same tune too.

nak said:
+1000. the best ways to support local bands is not by paying them to play at gigs, but buying their stuff!.

+696....U want to support local scene buy their CD/album..Why so many bands performing that day for e gig?The answers somewhere in the QUOTE. :smt116 Trust me ppls,organising gigs is not easy as u think.

I do agree that organizers should show some appreciation to bands..Like being paid or something.At least a small token will do..This will inspire bands to make music in positive way..Of course e amount will differ from each band.

I am here to support Bigtokes.

But I also have to say this that many bands devaluate themselves. Please, please...do not be hard-up and grab any gigs. If you and your friends have to pay to perform, there are many alternatives...even in Orchard Road.

If each band can collectively pay $500/- , we can have a party for 10 bands with 1st class food and drink in a first class hotel.

disclaimer: the werd you as in us

dat statement i tot it through oledi, cuz im a so caled muso. n i still tink ist easier to play than make a gig. n yes it doesnt take a rocket scientist to organise a gig. but it takes someone who have gd contacts, leadership n a certain amt of money to make one.

look, the organiser mite be at fault oso, but lets not point fingers at them w/o knowing the problems they're facing. go ask them the problems theyre facing if u want to.

theres a lot of gig organisers nowadays, n based on assumption alone, there are some who are still green. n they mite wanna cut cost on marketing dats y they device dis plan, so bands like urs n mine still can play. nonetheless, theyre still helping us to find places to gig.

wats a bit of werk of selling ur gig tix to the public tell me. if they dun buy its prolly becuz u din do ur own band marketing or ur band is simply not there yet..

even if organisers wanna 'use' us ,thats their agenda. u just stick to ur plans to gig more, or do you have a plan for the band? wen u r out in the real music werld, u will know the phrase of being used. music world is cruel guys!!

but to have the performing bands get paid in a gig? i assume u are a regular gigger. n i assume ur band is very gd in watever genre u play, n u have ur fans oso. maybe ur band deserved to get paid. but the effect of the threadstarter is dat it will make other bands demand money to play as well. this will lead to some bands dat will play for less, n dats the big problem. already dat problem is so glaring in the top40s bands scene.

money might help but certainly is never a gd incentive to knowledge.

y not we educate each other all musos how to market our bands by ourselves. technology is there to help,not like wat it was last few decades, so now we shud be more informed than the last time.
how to move the band, how to have gd rapport with audience regardless of wat music u playing, wat o do if tings fail onstage? theres a lot of tings to find out how to make ur bands better other than play more songs or more licks.

dis matter is always debatabe, n as long as i have time i will chip in ideas n factors to help fellow musos. or we can chat in msn, fone, cafe. but i oso nid to practice wat, n attend to my band as well, dats my priority, hehe.

if the gig organisers are reading dis post, pls guys can u help to chip in ideas to solve dis matter? theres a lot of communications nidded between u guys and the bands in order for tings to gel imo..

In conclusion IMO.. Spore's music scene is still not "there" yet.. :wink:

But still, improvements cld be done, understandings between organisers and bands must be secured.

understanding is good. on that note, i gave up reading attitude's last post after the first 4 paragraphs because the spelling is so bad i thought it was in a different language and couldn't decipher it.

argh. now my vision is blurry.

haha, serialninja!! guess i am so used writing thesis with txt msg language.

i agree with shred5 oso.

but pls explain 'devaluate'..

A loose union can be formed to protect bands from such gig organizers. This way, musicians will not work unless there is a base rate applied to it.

There will always be ppl who will undercut, but ultimately, if all bands stick to this rule, the base rate will apply.

Singapore isn't 'not there yet'.

Isn't this the same as what's happening everywhere else? The corporate world is taking over yet again. Very few people would want to organize gigs just to help the music scene here, a majority would definitely want as much a profit as possible from it - or be recognized in some way for being able to organize good gigs. Profit will be cut if they paid the bands, right?

I mean come on, this bitter liberty guy(yep, below his 20s) was one of the people who organized the freedom gig. Where bands had to PAY to play.

It's quite ridiculous isn't it.

But the thing is, the bands were the ones who decided which was more important - getting exposure from a gig or keeping their value. If you think you're getting paid too damned little or nothing at all, and not worth the benefits the organizer is going to enjoy, walk away. Simple as that.

The same thing applies to everything, doesn't it?

Want to stop it? Then bycott it.

If every musician knew that their band Could get paid for pub gigs, anyone thinks they wanna play for free?

The bottom line is this: Its not really about money money money, but the fact that things work a certain way - organizers, performers, equipment/venues, funds/sponsors etc.

In response to Attitude's post: If playing were easier than organizing the gig (which i'm not disputing), then what are the organizers organizing in the first place? Music Events. Even if the bands arent rock stars, they are still crucial to the event, and many things pivot around them. At least pay em...

Hey people,

I know not many of you understand. But full time musicians have to eat you know. Especially those who dont do much studio work and rely on gigs. COUGH.

So if you play for free or less money now, it'll just get worse and worse for everyone, and the most affected people would be the above-mentioned full time musicians. Spare a thought for them ok?

Theres a huge gap in terms of payment amount between professional bands and amateur bands for bookings. For big events, some musicians can earn around 1k+ per head for 2-3 sets. Do yourselves a favor and stop being whores.

Aiyah go and organize yr gig lah.N Take all e profit.So much fuss. :roll: 8) :lol:

Make sure only your band is playing so u get more :lol: :lol:

If theres a profit, pay the bands. If not then nvm. Thats my opinion ah, surely its not easy and cheap to organise a gig. Some more the organiser has to rent equipments and shit, get a crew for the gig. and if its a rowdy gig and some gig goers ruin some stuff at the venue, the organiser is responsible and would have to pay for the damages.

I'm sure the performing bands don't mind if the pay is not a lot, maybe just enough to cover the transportation/jamming expenses. And yes, promoting the gig should be the organiser's job.

Back