Coil Splitting and other mods.

hullabalooeeks

Hey guys, i'm thinkin of doing a coil split on my h-s-h RG570CT on the tone knob. Any info on how to do it??? Btw does it truly made it a single coil sound, the fenderish type or is it just reduced output??

Oh ya, do u guys know where to buy a tapping pot??? Cuz davis only sells push-pull pots.

It doesn make a true fenderish single coil sound but this may not be a bad thing since it can sound pretty nice and have it's own unique tone to it. Why do you want a coil split on a H-S-H guitar when it already has a true single coil?! hmm if i'm not wrong you can check out the manufacturer's webbie of the pickup on wiring diagrams?

If i'm not wrong the onli guitar i've seen use a tapping/push push pot is the yamha aes series. Wad's so bad abt push-pull? Furthermore u can tell if u are engaging coil split by feeling the rise of the tone knob... tho u can tell from the sound too =D

You could wire it to push-pull out-of-phase as well, that produces a single coil-ish sound.

If you engage a coil split on your HSH guitar, the coil split would only affect positions 1 and 5...

Also, you might not have a notable tone difference since you already have coil split on positions 2 and 4, UNLESS, your middle single coil is very different tonally from your neck and bridge hums.

Your positions 2 and 4 already handle a fenderish or tele-ish tone.

IMO, you don't need the coil tap... perhaps a phase switch would serve you better... gives you a weak output that sounds very thin... nice for funk or a campfire kind of strum-a-long.

Or how about just a pushpull on the tone... to disconnect the tone pot from the circuitry? You would have a boost in brightness... nice for a more cutting tone.

You can purchase pushpush pots online, form sites like www.universaljems.com They are better than Push Pulls IMO, since all it takes is a push to activate the switch... rather than you have to take the time to push/pull. Anyway, the quickest switch is the mini toggle.

phase switch... thats cool. can explain more to me???

The normal ibanez wiring is in phase or out of phase? and wad exactly is it??
Btw shredcow i'm thinking of getting a humbucker from hell for my neck, how much is it??? cuz i find that the stock V7 pups are too muddy.

hullabalooeeks said:
phase switch... thats cool. can explain more to me???

The normal ibanez wiring is in phase or out of phase? and wad exactly is it??
Btw shredcow i'm thinking of getting a humbucker from hell for my neck, how much is it??? cuz i find that the stock V7 pups are too muddy.

The phase thing does sound cool.. but it wouldn't be used a lot IMO. Here's a desc from online

• Another tone option for a guitarist is to put a pickup out of phase with another pickup, producing a thin "inside-out" squawky kind of sound. When 2 pickups are in phase, they work together and reinforce each other. When they are out of phase the 2 pickups are working against one another and the resulting sound is the "leftovers" from these cancellations. The closer the 2 pickups are, the greater the cancellations, the thinner the sound and the lesser the volume. Therefore, the neck and bridge pickups out of phase is the best choice for this type of sound.

Its cool for funk or if you want to really clean up your tone from a gained up setting.

Normal Ibanez wiring has no out of phase wiring.

I am not sure how much DImarzio pups cost at Swee lee... give them a ring.

DiMarzio pickups should cost roughly $120+ (about $130) with a 25% discount.

Which sorta explains why some of the 2nd hand Dimarzio sellers on luthermusic are nuts. :|

oh well. you don't get many choices for pickup colors at sweelee though.

I agree with ShredCow on the issue of push-push and push-pull pots... It takes time and strength to pull a push-pull, and your guitar body and strings will vibrate after you manage to pull the pot. I have a 24-fret HSH Rira guitar which has a push-pull pot for coil-splitting...

I have been wondering about push-push switches on Yamaha guitars... Now I get it... haha

Well, jumbo... like what I said, the pushpush pot is a nice alternative to a pushpull... much easier and makes less noise. However, expect it to wear out faster than a normal pushpull lah... not a big deal since it will still last you long! :)

Best IMO is still a mini toggle...fast and silent, and mini toggles can come in many configs... on/off, on/on, on/off/on, on/on/on ... so you see... esp for Strat users who don't want the additional tone pot, they can replace it with a on/on/on toggle for some serious switching! Too bad if you dont have a pot to space, you got to drill a hole! LIke what I had to do!

ShredCow said:
Best IMO is still a mini toggle...fast and silent, and mini toggles can come in many configs... on/off, on/on, on/off/on, on/on/on ... so you see... esp for Strat users who don't want the additional tone pot, they can replace it with a on/on/on toggle for some serious switching! Too bad if you dont have a pot to space, you got to drill a hole! LIke what I had to do!

But where can you get an ON/ON/ON switch in singapore?

I have seriously no idea. :) I know GC has on/off/on toggles... check with them if they have the triple on switch.

Vaiyen said:
eh Dan, OT here, but why you selling your pickups? Thought you were very happy with them.

Truth is.

I want a white Tonezone. Not a black one. :lol:

AND.

I want to try something else now. I STILL find the HFH awesome... simply great..never muddy and very clear... but I'm looking for something more unique... something that can mix well with the TZ. The TZ has a unique tone... that awwww to it... And besides, I realised, I have a coil split switch! With the HFH, that switch is kinda useless for it... heh.

Anyone interested in my HFH?

Back