Chester Tan at SoundClick Acoustic Piano Charts Top 10

ohhh my goshhhhhh....that is sooooooooooo nice.

hey chester , keep up the good work yea? =)

hey btw..could u give me some piece of advice on how to compose an original piano piece? i've create a short piece on the piano probably lasting no more than 40 seconds but i'm juz too caught up wif my other piano pieces dat i'm suppose to work on dat i tend to neglect attending to my original composition... lolx...anyways i would like to know how long u took to compose dat song,the amount of time devoted to composing it each day and tips for orginal piano compositions.

especially when valentine's day is fast approaching in less than month's time , i think i'd do something meaningful for MYSELF for this year's valentines day.instead of wallowing in self pity watching couples making out at orchard road during dat day , i would rather challenge myself in composing my own piano solo for MYSELF , MYSELF and no one but MYSELF!!!! whahahahahahah =)

DoubleBlade said:
ohhh my goshhhhhh....that is sooooooooooo nice.

hey chester , keep up the good work yea? =)

hey btw..could u give me some piece of advice on how to compose an original piano piece? i've create a short piece on the piano probably lasting no more than 40 seconds but i'm juz too caught up wif my other piano pieces dat i'm suppose to work on dat i tend to neglect attending to my original composition... lolx...anyways i would like to know how long u took to compose dat song,the amount of time devoted to composing it each day and tips for orginal piano compositions.

Thanks for appreciating.

There are no hard tips, but fundamentally your music theory must be strong to compose a good piano piece. Composition comes from within you. I do not put a lot of effort in composing a song, I always let my inspiration take over. If I can't get a good song in a few plays, it's probably not good enough. Of course, there will be days when I get a really nice riff and I would try to work into a complete song.

Start by taking out your 40sec piano piece, try to play it again from the beginning, then let your mind take over to finish the composition. The 88 keys are the dancefloor for your fingers - make use of every inch of the ivories to paint the musical mood in your mind.

Composing for your Valentine? That's so sweet. Alternatively, if time and inspiration runs out, you could gift-wrap my album for that special someone. :D

haha...maybe u can call me self centred cause i'm doing it specially for myself...yes my own valentine's day gift from my most beloved piano...whahahahahahhaha. actually i was thinking of composing a song for myself on valentines day for quite some day but juz did not have the time to work on it cause i can't possibly get my rhythem and timing right for juz one bar of notes.i juz started playin the piano 2 years back in november 2003 but i had to stop in june 2004 to concentrate on my O levels so yea..dat would about 8 months plus i resumed my piano lesson a few weeks back...so i guess it's just 9 months of piano playing for me.my song is very basic...i use a combination of chords , appaegoes and hopefully add some nice scaling into it. well my teacher said it was nice and thought i learned it from some music score but she was damn shocked when i told her i composed it entirely myself.hmmm...is it normal for an average person who has been playing the piano for 8 months to be able to compose a short melody? or should u consider dat "abnormal"? lolx..i guess my teacher's praise was a kinda morale booster for me but i juz cant find the time to work on it. =)

just to share wif u my experience...i did the exact same thing as wad u said...wrote a song , got a band to help me wif it , got it recorded.basically it did not help at all and i was rejected nicely by dat special someone...so yea...this year's valentines day i ain't gonna share my heart wif anyone =)

Back