Cheap method of sound proof room.

Hi gkjung,

You sound very knowledgeable for a 15/16 yr old. It's very good and theory seems quite sound. But if you try it real life, you will get to know it's not that simple.

If you play only guitar in a fully closed air-con bedroom, more likely you will disturb your only own family if you crank up the volume. Your immediate neighbour at most can hear muffled playing. But if you crank real loud or max out your amp, it will resonate through the solid walls and windows.

Then there is the bass and bass drum sounds. These are the worst as their power output is the highest. These cannot mask if the output is too high. Your immediate neighbour will suffer the most. That's why the use of raised flooring plays here.

gjkung said:
I know how, I dunno if this have been mentioned:

Windows: All the windows need curtain closed over it. Heavier ones like velvet works best.

Walls: Use egg cartons, those square egg cartons used to hold eggs at the market. Cover the walls with it, as much as you can. It looks like crap, but it's the best thing. YOu can get them from the wet market uncles. If you can can't fix them to the wall, make big panels of them and cover with cardboard. Sound isn't like water, if you block out a 90% of a wall, only 10% will leak out. This method can reduce the noise by about 75%.

After you've done the egg carton thing, drap curtains from the top to bottom, this will make the walls nearly sound-proof.

Ground: use carpets, and don't put your amplifier directly on the ground. Put egg carton, followed by cardboard, foam then lastly your amplifier on it.

I hope that helps, good luck with sound-proofing your room. The whole thing should cost below $50, use junk, don't go and buy new curtains and new carpet.

if this is the case... most studios will look like dis. it aint as simple as u think.how sound proof it is will remain questionable, it only reduces noise to a certain extent. but if it works for u.. den go for it.

for my situation i think is quite feasible..let's say i wanna put a drumset in my room, which is the absolute corner of my house so i'm not worried about disturbing neighbours on my floor, rather floor below...my drummer tells me to put carpet and stuff under the drumkit to reduce the vibration from the bass drum which the neighbours below definitely can hear..how about bass amp then? how do i prevent the neighbours below from hearing it too much..any other sound proofing suggestions? thanks!

it's a cheap way, probably I exaggerated the values. But at volumes that I can bear while playing inside, people outside will not be consciously affected by the noise. I know it's not easy to block out noise, if it's landed property, a shed or garage that is fully enclosed should allow the person to fully build the "egg carton" structure. I've never seen it tried out in a real HDB flat though. I know it's really hard, sorry if I talked like a noob.

And I forgot to mention that it is almost impossible to fully block out the bass on your own, cos until now I still can't find a way to block out bass without spending 4-digital sums. When you hear those cars with the radio on really loud, the only thing you hear is the bass beats. Goes to show how hard it is to block out bass on your own.

I'd edit my post. :roll:

If you are in an aircon room, and your floor is properly carpeted, you can have a "practise session", with a full set of amps and drum.

This is subjective, you are restricted to at most soft rock or low volume rock. Especially the drums and the bass.

One good way is to use practise amps to 'jam', which is at 15-20Watts output.

Your drums tom and bass drum can overkill on the 'damping'. Use polishing cloth for the tom and for the bass drum, put about 3 adult pillows inside or fill it up to half mark with blankets.

Same to same. everyone must co-orperate. Not to crank up the amp (yeah even practise one). Because you got 4 or 5 "voices", not 1. Drummer must excercise control here.

Yeah, again I must say, PRACTISE ONLY. Do well on your coordination between band members, the fill-ins, basically become tighter as a band.....

Finally, always go to a real JAM STUDIO, so you can practise at full volume. Like that can get real good very fast.

the best to use is 1 thick layer of carpet for floor can go to spotlight for that then for the walls juz use old clothes or go to a thrift store and paste it like 3 layers of dat stuff then this part u gotta be a handy man. u gotta buy some wood and build another wall over the clothes then i spray painted mine so it wudnt look plain like lodge feeling. itll work trust me

fff

Mjollnir said:
the best to use is 1 thick layer of carpet for floor can go to spotlight for that then for the walls juz use old clothes or go to a thrift store and paste it like 3 layers of dat stuff then this part u gotta be a handy man. u gotta buy some wood and build another wall over the clothes then i spray painted mine so it wudnt look plain like lodge feeling. itll work trust me

Thats quite a great idea. i think i'll use this idea in my new flat. thanks bro
u'r a live saver

Back