Cheap method of sound proof room.

Eh guys, how to make a HDB flat guest room sound proof eh? Like paste those black sponge like thing on the wall? Cause sometimes wnana crank up vol also hard, im using a 20 watters and it cant go more than 12 O clock positioning.

I'm using those aluminium windows, no air-con (worst). Any methods like stick what things on wall to reduce to vol heard outside? Sorry i'm a newbie at this, look at my nick lol.

Too bad if your flat does not have those air raid shelter as storeroom. You can close the door and whck as loud as you want.

Either case, find a room which is the furthest from any opening or window. Still the storeroom I guess.

Sponge WON'T help, it difusses sound and absorbtion is only very limited and you have to seal your room air tight to achieve very reduced sound output.

Think of sound as WATER, and your room is filled with water to the ceiling. So the water will seep out ofNY hole or opening, same with sound.

Maybe you should go to the root of the sound source. Your amp. If you are using transistor amp with a 12" speaker, difference in tone when it's loud or soft is little. Unless you have a TUBE amp, then you need the volume to get the sweet sound.

My advise, be realistic and considerate. Elec guitar sound when crank up is VERY VERY LOUD and travel very far. If you stay in a flat, be kind to your neighbours. You want loud, go to a jamming studio, you can go as loud as the owner permit you to go.

so is there realli no way?

my house have the shelter kind of storeroom dats says its bomb proof blah blah :lol: but its pack with things and its so small..

Trying throwing ur clothes around. ( fabric works )

Fabric absorbs sound very well i heard... :wink:

and to add.. mikeman.. i dont think its possible about the store room you said..

once you close the door.. the air vantilation etc.. gets cut to the lowest.. im quite sure u will feel uncomfortable or giddy if your in it for some time like 15mins.. starts to have squeakin sound by ur ear and u will want to faint i think.. unless if your storeroom got air con la -.- :)

Frummer said:
Trying throwing ur clothes around. ( fabric works )

Fabric absorbs sound very well i heard... :wink:

im just thinkin is it possible to place mats or carpet like jammin room.. for those who have carpet on the floor i guess its a advantage for u.. people down u wont get much of ur sound unless ur those thick carpets..den its sound proofed better..

have carpets on the wall .. this im not sure.. anyone noes if it work?

yea.. fabrics absorb sound.. like how fabric absorb water too :) to that theory of mike's

dun mean to rain on yer parade but... unless ure willing to spend some money.. carpets or sponges wont do u any good
wat u need is a rom inside a room.. but dat will cost a bomb. get a good sounding headphone setup. u can play as loud as u want, anytime uawant.
sometimes, if im lazy ill juz go direct from my multi efx to headphones.
my 2 cents

There was this guy I know who made one of his flat room in to a music studio. He spent about $40K to do it, sealed all holes, raised flooring, 3 layer sound proofing partition wall on all sides of room.

He lost at least 6 inch of floor height, and 3 inch of 4 walls and 1 ceiling to do this.
You need to totally "float" the room, just to get it. Or you can also buy a what we call "isolation booth", ready made. Still cost a lot of money and small enough for one person inside, if you were to get one to fit your HDB.

There is 2 different things Sound Dispersion / Diffusion and Sound Absorption factor when sound proofing. Of course any small hole is where the sound will escape.

Like I said, unless you want to fork out this amount of cash, or don't mind suffocating in a closed storeroom bomb shelter. Better just be considerate a bit to your neighbours. We are all humans living together, don't do upon others what you would not others do to you.

mikemann said:
There was this guy I know who made one of his flat room in to a music studio. He spent about $40K to do it...

yes i agree..

but i guess most of us want to play or even jam whole band at home at the comfort where can walk around freely .. etc.. get a can of pepsi from the fridge.. i used to have this though oso.. but realised its a much complicated idea.

Just another pointer, SOUND TRAVEL THROUGH SOLID MEDIA TOO.

This means your wall will also allow sound to be transmitted through it. That is why we have at least 3 layers to consider soundproofing a wall. As sound transmit poorly through different medium of different density.

theres once i was walkin at the pathway with some flats beside.. facin the road at the front.. theres pple jammin like at the 3 storey of the flat.. with window quite opened..

and the way he hit the drum u can see that its not very hard.. but oredy the sound i can hear clearly.. the guitar not that loud though :lol:

Hmm but carpet can reduce let's say 1/2 the vol?

Thats the cheapest and fastest way to erm, make it 'semi-sound proof'?

Newbie said:
Hmm but carpet can reduce let's say 1/2 the vol?

Thats the cheapest and fastest way to erm, make it 'semi-sound proof'?

im kinda sure carpet does help.. even if its abit onli.. but u need air con for sure.. otherwise u sweat like hell... i did before when the jammin centre i went the air con spoilt..

but!.. the cost will not be cheap for sure.. 1 carpet goes for like 100+ for a normal one ( not too thick ).. and u got to get like 4 of them or 3.. den got to stick them up ( dono how to stick it on wall.. who noes pls share )

what abt spunch?

Spunch is cheaper. U can buy those 7x4 spunches and paste it on yoru wall with glue guns. But it will leave marks on your walls. Use the carpets for the floors instead

Re: what abt spunch?

inaba said:
Spunch is cheaper. U can buy those 7x4 spunches and paste it on yoru wall with glue guns. But it will leave marks on your walls. Use the carpets for the floors instead

spunch? sorry ah.. i dono nv hear b4.. can intro more abt it ? if its cheap maybe i wanna get it done?

gordonzz said:
input_output said:
dun mean to rain on yer parade but... unless ure willing to spend some money.. carpets or sponges wont do u any good
wat u need is a rom inside a room.. but dat will cost a bomb. get a good sounding headphone setup. u can play as loud as u want, anytime uawant.
sometimes, if im lazy ill juz go direct from my multi efx to headphones.
my 2 cents

sorry but whats rom inside a room? :?:

room insinde a room is wat mikemann already explained. u build a room insinde yer current room isolate it on all sides (float it) cos the best way to sound proof a room is air... as in space between another physical structrure.. like a sandwich.. carpets do little.(matresses are betta)) but if ure in a budget, heh. anything goes.. be craetive.

Latest posts

Back