Cheap method of sound proof room.

sound proofing

Hi, Try fixing rockwool sheet directly to the wall. I intended to use rockwool attached on plywood boxes with insulation inside [tightly sealed] fixed on the wall by four hooks with rubber foot.

The rockwool absorb sound, the air inside resonate, insulation absorb the frequency, the rubber foot prevent contact of the boxes on the wall. I hope this will work for me. I have choosen this because I want to upgrade my HDB flat in a couple of years.[I can diamantle everything easily]

In addition planning to make [myself] bass trap and slat resonators for sound treatment.

The price of the rockwool sheets are as follows : -
1) Focus A - 600 x 600 x 20mm = S$9.00 per pc
@ 28pcs/box
2) Focus A - 600 x 1200 x 20mm = S$17.00 per pc
@ 14pcs/box
3) Master A 600 x 600 x 40mm = S$17.00 per pc
@ 20pcs/box
4) Master A 600 x 1200 x 40mm = S$35.00 per pc
@ 10 pcs/box

btw.. i heard usin egg crates or sth.. ( those u get when u bought 2 dozens of eggs ) stick to the window of what helps oso?

or stack up empty boxes?

anyone noes anyone in singapore doin soundproofin? for home?

Re: sound proofing

KMA said:
Hi, Try fixing rockwool sheet directly to the wall. I intended to use rockwool attached on plywood boxes with insulation inside [tightly sealed] fixed on the wall by four hooks with rubber foot.

sorry i abit blur and i dono these stuffs.. whats rockwool? and those prices are for what? where to get and how to fix on? :x

egg creates help only in the treatment of sound. like dispersing OR scattering & of course some absoration

KMA said:
egg creates help only in the treatment of sound. like dispersing OR scattering & of course some absoration

plus eggs' smell.. and ugly decorations :lol:

but i heard thats what people back in those days does.. as things are not advanced as now :roll:

i think mostly dont do for homes bah..

but i guess its going up to at least 1k.. for a small room.. for the materials' and the works

lol. u guys r dreaming la. acoustic engineers will do acoustics for homes but at 1k? lemme noe if u can find any doing sound proofing at tt price. haha. will be considered lucky if u pay abt 10k for gd sound proofing la.

Re: sound proofing

KMA said:

The rockwool absorb sound, the air inside resonate, insulation absorb the frequency, the rubber foot prevent contact of the boxes on the wall. I hope this will work for me. I have choosen this because I want to upgrade my HDB flat in a couple of years.[I can diamantle everything easily]

In addition planning to make [myself] bass trap and slat resonators for sound treatment.

The price of the rockwool sheets are as follows : -
1) Focus A - 600 x 600 x 20mm = S$9.00 per pc
@ 28pcs/box
2) Focus A - 600 x 1200 x 20mm = S$17.00 per pc
@ 14pcs/box
3) Master A 600 x 600 x 40mm = S$17.00 per pc
@ 20pcs/box
4) Master A 600 x 1200 x 40mm = S$35.00 per pc
@ 10 pcs/box

Hey dude when you intending to fix this up? I would love to help ya out if yuo DIY since i would like to do mine in the future too and the experience would be good. This will definitely be a very good eye-opener for anyone with such aspirations.

Anybody else wanna chip in too? I few like-minded people would make light and merry work~.

Hi,

I am planning to hire some one to fix the rockwool, after explaining him what to do. I am looking for some one who can do simple but neat and clean carpentary work, [through my contacts/friends]. Please PM me, I'll keep you informed.

I can do bass trap & resonator myself [as it involves some aqustic measurements/Calculations of the room/set up].

Correction: The quote given [Focus A/Master A etc.] in my previous post is not for rockwool. I think Rock wool cost less than that

How mcuh everything? Wah like not worth it leh, just to crank up a guit amp. not like a studio or anything...

About the sponge thing, i saw garage studio doing that, but their room is rather big. So it only works for BIG rooms? 500cm by 300cm by 300cm room? Haha thats mine, my estimation, thats the free space left, after deducting the cupboards bla bla bla. Sponge can work for this?

anyway.. let us noe here if anyone succeeded.. would like to noe how its done also.. if its ok maybe i wan to.. thx

I'm not a sound acoustician, but have read much about how professionals do it... for one pro mention he only spent $30 on it....
I think the difficult part is knowing what is needed...
Simple tip....
Identify what is really making the noise;
Fan? Computer Fans? Aircon??? Cars through the window??? etc....
Then condition those acoordingly...
Computer fans can be improved by using better computer fans or isolation cases, through sim lim quite cheap...
Windows can be blocked by many ways
Aircon damping is kinda hard, so just don't use it!!!!
Other issues include the fact of things like dead spots... you don't have to condition every thing, if two parallel walls are facing one another, they cause a dead spot, where sounds aren't heard very well due to signal cancellation, do put an absorbent on one wall to refract the waves. But only needed if that spot is where you are sitted mixing.
Egg Cartons suck, do you know you suppose to leave the egg in there, ouch!!! stink!!!
Try acoustic foam, it looks better!!!
You want the signals coming directly to you when you mix from the speakers, can put some absorbent behind the speakers, else your ears will be hearing much reflections.
Carpets are best for floors, not too much for walls, kinda ugly putting for walls and very hot... though not best option to put them, cos they can cause vulnerability to fires. Try fibreglass, dunnno where to get them...
But again put that where your signals bounce off to your mixing position...
I know this is not the pro method, it just cost too much a bomb to do it the pro way, that would cost things like double windows, double doors, etc.... a lot of contracting...
One trick if your ears are really solid, get a 31 Graphic EQ and compensate bad signal deficiencies...

good tip parablue... juz condition wat u need.. in my case i dun want to get counds coming in rather den my sounds going out...
or in thread starters case, juz to jam real loud without compensating for tone
hehehe. keep the ideas rolling.. im absorbing like info a sponge
haheah

I know how, I dunno if this have been mentioned:

Windows: All the windows need curtain closed over it. Heavier ones like velvet works best.

Walls: Use egg cartons, those square egg cartons used to hold eggs at the market. Cover the walls with it, as much as you can. It looks like crap, but it's the best thing you can get for free. You can get them from the wet market uncles. If you can can't fix them to the wall, make big panels of them and cover with cardboard. Sound isn't like water, if you block out a 90% of a wall, only 10% will leak out. This method can reduce the noise by about 50%.
After you've done the egg carton thing, drap curtains from the top to bottom, this will help to block out mid-ranges.

Ground: use carpets, and don't put your amplifier directly on the ground. Put egg carton, followed by cardboard, foam then lastly your amplifier on it.

I hope that helps, good luck with sound-proofing your room. The whole thing should cost below $50, use junk, don't go and buy new curtains and new carpet.

EDITED: 15/11/05 9:43pm

Latest posts

Back