Busking

i've always felt like busking as well :) i don relly care bout the money, i just wanna noe the feelin of playin in public :p

hehe thanks for the info man, i probably wont be busking any time soon. o level this year and im as busy as a monkey in a banana farm 8)

nah, you go the NAC website find, should have to form.
NAC = National Arts Council.

get a license from them i think

From what i know, last time u need to be handicapped, which is kinda lame. But now i think u don't have to. But u can't just busk anywhere even when u have the licence. U will be allocated certain venues and you are only allowed to busk on certain times that they allocate you to, or should i say, U can 'booked' the time, date and venue for your buskin business.

There used to be a 'cut' of certain percentage from your busking wages for contribution to Charity. I'm not sure if that is still been practice. If you guys want, I can check with some of my old friends whom some are still buskin I presume. ;)

hay88 said:
plus u gotta bring or rent your own equipment...it's more like a diy gig...

Just an idea i saw in the streets of Paris some years back...

A bunch of Eastern European Busker even trained a monkey to collect money and sell their CDs while they play their music! Very intriguing!
Busking is not only playing covers on the streets, it can mean playing ANYTHIN , even ur own originals and selling them DIY on the streets! In My opinion, if u wanna busk or play music, Rental isn't the option. Purchasing them is. I mean, come on, how expensive it is to own a simple DIY sound system for busking these days? If places like Sri Lanka can do it. Why not Singapore? Singaporean these days can eat 3 meals of Macdonalds, n cannot afford to buy guitar, mike and amplifier? Not possible lah... rite?

Just read the rules ... sounds troublesome ... dont know whether it's worth it.

One of them is that the sound can't exceed 70dBA ...

Kinda tough if you wanna do Bands ... perhaps playing solo or light music would be ideal ... oh yeah another rule is that you cant use amp as well only battery powered ones...

Mr_KeyboardMan said:
Just read the rules ...

One of them is that thr sound can't exceed 70dBA ...

Kinda tough if you wanna do Bands ... perhaps playing solo or light music would be ideal

If wanna do bands, can also.. maybe acoustic set lor.. I saw some in Far East or Scotts road some months back. But what u pointed out was a cool fact to note. :)

Haiz ... to think that lots of talents are discovered through busking in other countries ... In Japan, even Bands are playing on the street to promote themselves ... too many restrictions in SG .. this may hinder the music development

yarr... AFUA hosts a lot of busking, look out for them, they give out slots for bands to busk for charity...

approx how loud is 70dbA?

CrispyEgg said:
yarr... AFUA hosts a lot of busking, look out for them, they give out slots for bands to busk for charity...

ya ya.. i think that was one of Afua show.. btw, who is Afua? Seems to hear about it quite alot these days.

Arts for Us All. It's a charitable organization if I'm not wrong.

I busked for them in December last year, an acoustic set. The people helping out are really nice, though I'm not sure whether they're volunteers or from that organization.

They were allowed amplifiers, and even full bands were playing. If we were to apply for busking licences from the nac... I don't think anyone would be able to hear along the busy streets. People would just think you're blocking the way.

It's quite a big-scale thing, whatever they're doing. Busking, informal gigs, large gigs... They've done it all.

Am just hoping for another one of their busking fests to sign up for. Less troublesome than having to apply from nac and everything, yes?

i'm glad to noe there quite alot of ppl who wanna busk, hehe, i got a few friends who shun that idea cuz they dun wanna lose face. well, i got nuttin to sae bout it la, buskin is the bez way to promote ur music, btw, how do i contact AFUA?

CrispyEgg said:

Decibel (Loudness) Comparison Chart
Environmental Noise
weakest sound heard 0 dB
normal conversation at 3-5 ft 60-70 dB
dial tone of telephone 80 dB
city traffic inside car 85 dB
1983 OSHA monitoring requirements begin 90 dB

train whistle at 500 ft. 90 dB
subway train at 200 ft. 95 dB
regular sustained exposure may cause permanent damage 90-95 dB