Budget Strat

hey...yea im a bedroom player..haha hardly good enough for anyone else to hear yet. just that i was thinking of tampering ard with the pups thats all. :> don't worry too much about it. just asking anyways

haha, don't under estimate stock ds-1. i remembered dhalif used to use one for the longest time, i'm not sure if he was still using it 4 years ago but should be:

Oh damn. I started a DS-1 war. Ok I have to give it credit for getting people like Satch and Vai to be users and that it is a great platform for modding. Other than that I'm not exactly a big fan la.

@JumpinJellybeans: got it! Sorry sometimes a bit impulsive on my answers. Tone (at least a certain portion of it) is in the fingers, in the gear.

Back to the original topic.

MIM Strats have 21 frets only no? damn getting too used to playing at least 22 fret guitars. I'm ok with 21 fret guitars but sometimes if i forget and i'm soloing and i wanna be able to bend to the highest E, I'll end up embarrassing myself if you know what i mean.

Actually never seen great players make it big using crap gear :/. Not questioning and i'm sure there is, but i'd really like to know who. Interesting facts

Depending on your opinion of 'crap' la.
Billie Joe made it big on his Fernandes, for one. A JB in the bridge of a budget Fender copy. That's considered below average over there.
Josh Homme uses an unmodded SD-1 and OC-3 on his board, and was seen on tour with an Epi LP Special. I'm sure there are more, but these two come to mind. :p

OH I remember someone who made it big on 'crap gear'.

Brian May's first guitar was made out of firewood and parts from a motocycle! beat that.

Remember seeing Billie Joe with his fernandes on one of those best 30 rhythm guitarists..

Brian May's guitar was not made out of firewood. It's made out of ancient Oak from his fireplace. Big difference. And bicycle parts not motorcycle parts. Billie's Fernandes Made in Japan so not crap by any means.

Brian May's guitar was not made out of firewood. It's made out of ancient Oak from his fireplace. Big difference. And bicycle parts not motorcycle parts. Billie's Fernandes Made in Japan so not crap by any means.

Not to us. To them it is. You can ask anyone in America, would they want a Jpa Fender COPY or an American Fender. THe choice is pretty much clear (if you've been reading TGP)...

Thanks for the correction.

Well, doesn't mean that a guitar is made in a certain in a certain country, eg MIA, MIJ doensn't denote that it's high quality, although MOST of it would be.
Must think from a diff perspective also:D

there's a certain threshold, whereby once gear gets out of the "crappy" range, the only thing remaining that can be inferior is one's skills. no point saything that a $1k guitar is inferior to a $3k guitar if they're in the hands of somebody who can't fully utilise them. MIA strats, MIJ strats, MIM strats and even squires, you give it to a real pro and he'll still rip it up effortlessly, the last thing you'll hear from him is "i play like shit cause this squire sucks."

there's a certain threshold, whereby once gear gets out of the "crappy" range, the only thing remaining that can be inferior is one's skills. no point saything that a $1k guitar is inferior to a $3k guitar if they're in the hands of somebody who can't fully utilise them. MIA strats, MIJ strats, MIM strats and even squires, you give it to a real pro and he'll still rip it up effortlessly, the last thing you'll hear from him is "i play like shit cause this squire sucks."

+1 to that. Paul Gilbert has video of him shredding away on the introductory Ibanez beginner's package.

Depending on your opinion of 'crap' la.
Billie Joe made it big on his Fernandes, for one. A JB in the bridge of a budget Fender copy. That's considered below average over there.
Josh Homme uses an unmodded SD-1 and OC-3 on his board, and was seen on tour with an Epi LP Special. I'm sure there are more, but these two come to mind. :p

How in the world is Fernandes strat crap? ANd he rose to fame with a Bill Lawrence pickup which are really good.

Crap to them not to us. Budget Fender copy? When American Fenders are so easily available?
By the way, he switched to a JB which is actually a more common person's pickup.

Oh damn. I started a DS-1 war. Ok I have to give it credit for getting people like Satch and Vai to be users and that it is a great platform for modding. Other than that I'm not exactly a big fan la.

@JumpinJellybeans: got it! Sorry sometimes a bit impulsive on my answers. Tone (at least a certain portion of it) is in the fingers, in the gear.

Back to the original topic.

MIM Strats have 21 frets only no? damn getting too used to playing at least 22 fret guitars. I'm ok with 21 fret guitars but sometimes if i forget and i'm soloing and i wanna be able to bend to the highest E, I'll end up embarrassing myself if you know what i mean.

No problem, we all are sometimes. :p
Yep, 21 frets alright. I've survived with 21 frets on almost all my guitars, but if it's a worry you can try Ibanez RGs, those are pretty good platforms for modification as well.

No problem, we all are sometimes. :p
Yep, 21 frets alright. I've survived with 21 frets on almost all my guitars, but if it's a worry you can try Ibanez RGs, those are pretty good platforms for modification as well.

My current guitar is a RG!(look at my sig) thats why i want strat, for more balance between chord work and soloing.

And for that bluesy single coil tone!

Last edited:
My current guitar is a RG!(look at my sig) thats why i want strat, for more balance between chord work and soloing.

And for that bluesy single coil tone!

Not looking to try new shapes?
Maybe you should try a tele... But if you insist on a strat get a Craftsman and have a lot of spare cash for modding. I'd do that...but i'm not you. :p

Not looking to try new shapes?
Maybe you should try a tele... But if you insist on a strat get a Craftsman and have a lot of spare cash for modding. I'd do that...but i'm not you. :p

Not really, I like my double cut-aways! mm tele's not the thing for me. I've always been a strat guy rather than tele.:p
Mm have you tried the swing guitars before? SV brings them in. they look quite good but have yet to try them

@J.custom Omo... The swing guitars really looks good. I thinking of getting a strat too though I got one smash s2 :/! If you do go down n try :D. Tell me whether they are good a not. Ok I'm not helping anything. Hehe.

Back