Budget Strat

J.custom

Can anyone recommend me a budget strat that's great as a platform for modding? Open to any particular brand, any specs. Want to get as many possibilities as possible. Budget's about 500

st30-sb_med.jpg

this is not a Strat but Craftsman's ST-30 fits your bill
happy-smiley-541.gif

thought over the specs. preferably 22 frets, HSS config, body can be anything but basswood, fretboard can be any wood.

lemonade93:will check it out
subversion: checked those out alr, introduced it to my gf's bro to get him started on playing the elec guitar, the hss version. just feel that something's lacking? or i'm too brand consious:D btw love your blog! following it for abt 2 years now!

thanks for following, really appreciate it. i mentioned the Craftsman as the it's the most affordable to acquire for tinkering purposes. however, if you wish for a more formidable tone to measure up to your intentions, Yamaha's Pacifica 112 would be a much better option. then again. it's not a Strat by any means.

I remember reading on your blog that you have a swing guitar? How did you find it? eyeing the swing prism 250 with piezo :D

the craftsman is well built guitar but it's default pickups are quite meh.. it's a good idea to change them after purchase, at least, that's what i'd do!

the craftsman is well built guitar but it's default pickups are quite meh.. it's a good idea to change them after purchase, at least, that's what i'd do!

YES. thats exactly what i thought. it needed a pickup change. seriously considering the swing prism 250 2ts. only thing i dont really like is that the burst isnt done very nicely. abit too abrupt IMO. prolly would change pup covers and pickguard to white as well

I remember reading on your blog that you have a swing guitar? How did you find it? eyeing the swing prism 250 with piezo :D

that's not a Swing but a Smash, the S2 Lite to be precise:

smash+s2+pic1.JPG

i find this guitar exceptional for the money, have no desire to replace the electronics as they give me what i want to hear. it's one of those buy & be happy guitar, highly recommended for those of us looking for a superb back-up or an above-average initial purchase.

ooh while we're at it..lemme hijack abit..i have one of those craftsman.. sss config. was thinking of changing the pickups..
still super noob at it..but i wanna learn to play something of a bluesy..bit of pop/rock? any pick ups u can recommend too?

was wondering when u select pick ups..do u like..get the same type for all the slots u hjave?

Hmm. Whats your budget? First pickup that comes off the top of my head that can handle 'bluesy' stuff and rock would be the Dimarzio Injectors, Paul Gilbert's new pups and they're single coil. Go check out his vid on youtube.

You dont necessarily have to get all the same pickups, just make sure that the difference in output level will not be too large. But if you want X brand pickup in the bridge but Y brand pickup in the neck, I would suggest you email Y brand to check whether the 2 pickups will go well together or not. *Where X brand and Y brand denotes any pickup maker*

Last edited by a moderator:
=subversion

How much did you pay for it? I saw the guitar I just had GAS for on the SV website going for 500, hopefully the sale would bring the price down no? Visually, the only thing I did not like about that guitar was the 2-Tone burst. Close to tobacco burst I would have wanted if I built my on strat, but oh well cant complain, since I'm only paying 500.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, like i said im noob at this.so i've no idea what the costs are. but i am usinG a relatively cheap guitar, so any enhancement would be great?

so what..do i like get three of the same pups ? or three diff stuff?

well, like i said im noob at this.so i've no idea what the costs are. but i am usinG a relatively cheap guitar, so any enhancement would be great?
so what..do i like get three of the same pups ? or three diff stuff?

Not entirely true. before you change your pups, change your amp (if you're using a crappy amp, that is). If not, changing pups would be...hardly any use.

Latest posts

Back