Bridge Type

Which Bridge type do you prefer?

• Total voters

Blodstyre

Just out of curiousity. Which bridge type do all you guitarrers out there prefer? Just wanna do a self survey...

~meh~

no particualr preferences, depends on the type of guitar & music i'm playing...

Last edited:
Aik? fgl, U into hard tail bridges? I tot u would be more into dive only bridges. albeit strats....

~meh~

There's one missing option. I had not choice but to click dive only bridges. My personal fav are locked down trem bridges. Meaning, it's a vintage style bridge, but it's springs are screwed in so tight, that you can't dive down either...:mrgreen:

now I'd take a string thru body, but if it's not available, I wouldnt mind a hardtail, i hate trems, tuning them is a real B*TCH

can any1 pls explain the adv and disadv of each of them...i dun have much of a clue wat some of these bridges are...i only know the full floating shud be from the floyd rose tremolo, and it loses tune pretty quickly but thats abt all i know abt it :D

I currently have 13 electric with every type of bridge there is ...well almost.. hardtails, floyds, bigsby & this hofner with this internal type trem.. I want it all!

I just changed the diecast trem on my cij strat to a gotoh full steel block one. Its now much louder, fuller and resonant sounding. Wondered how did i even managed to live without the upgrade in the first place. Now it sustains like my biitch.....it even pwns the sustain on my friend's MIA duluxe strat (since the bridges on those use a cast steel hybrid anyways). Beez even configured it so i could do pull ups. And the best part? It stays in tune.

Oh and btw i don use locking tuners. Trem users, consider changing your block to a heavier mass one! :D Shredcow posted on the wonders a brass block does.....maybe i'll try one when i see one available for a vintage style trem!

Last edited:
I'm a die-die hardtail bridge user so I'll explain the pros and cons I've come across. I also used a non-locking, dive-only tremolo before so yeah I'll add some of that too. Basically, I dislike tremolos, both dive-only and free-floating, but its my personal preference.

Pros:
- Better sustain,
- Simpler to re-string and retune, as there is no locking nut, and bridge does not move and upset the tuning,
- More stable than a dive-only tremolo with regards to keeping in tune with heavy usage,
- Because the bridge does not move, you can downtune or uptune one string and the other strings are not affected.

Cons:
- Cannot whammy and cannot dive-bomb,
- Less stable than a free-floating tremolo because there is no locking nut. If tuners are crappy, guitar will go out of tune very easily, and thus hardtail bridges require good tuners.

Well, not going against tremolos but I just don't like them, and I don't need them either. :cool:

On the same note, a good free-floating tremolo is actually more stable than a hardtail bridge, so yeah its not true that good tremolos go out of tune easily. But of course, if the tremolo, locking nut and tuners aren't very good ones, it won't stay in tune very well. Same goes with hardtail bridges, actually. Whether its a tremolo or a hardtail bridge, good tuners and good locking nuts (for tremolos) and of course a stable bridge contribute to the guitar's ability to keep in tune very well.

It will be difficult to tell by looks though obviously low-end guitars will have inferior tuners and parts as compared with mid-end and high-end guitars. But a tell-tale sign is when your guitar has trouble staying in tune. Don't get me wrong though, some low-end guitars are able to keep in tune surprisingly well.

Back