Bassists stand up!

currently using a passive '86 ibanez musician to a SWR LA 8, i use a NE-1 and a boss bass chorus occ~~

I plan to own an urge II bass~~ and loads of SWR amps!!!

:p

bass newbie here

a mean green yamaha RBX765 thro a zoom 708II

one qn though, ive seen dis guy tuned his bass at swee lee by litely touching the string and dis bell like sound came out. how he tune like dat? i was too intimidated to ask him, so i use my built in zoom tuner for now, hehe..

press lightly and directly over the fret and strike the string. Release your fretting finger as soon as the sound comes out.

felytone actually wad u are talkin about is harmonics.... Its a advanced technique of tuning or even playing. It exist strongest on the 12th fret.

Anyway i'm also a bassist haha been playin for a yr plus now . Usin a Yamaha RBX 774 Silver w/o effects haha

press on the 5th fret on the A string and pluck both E and A ..and turn the knob of the E string until both sounds the same..e is tuned...u can do that for any string.this is how i tune..u need to know what to press too.

wat if all ur stirng all out of tune.. lol.. how to tune? if ur ear izzit good enough to tune by ear.. if u do.. it still out of tune alittle :D

HearseDriver said:
press on the 5th fret on the A string and pluck both E and A ..and turn the knob of the E string until both sounds the same..e is tuned...u can do that for any string.this is how i tune..u need to know what to press too.

5th fret on the A string? i think u're mistaken.. it should be 7th fret. and also, to tune by harmonics u should harmonic on hte 7th and 5th frets of two strings, in this case 7th of the A and 5th of the E. tuning by the harmonic on the A string alone is not favourable cos it's still possible to go out of tune when judging by an octave jump.

oh dear... the dreaded topic of tuning by harmonics again... :p

i would personally advise everyone not to tune by harmonics. it's not by far anywhere advanced for guitarists. The guitar is an even-tempered instrument, so the tuning on the guitar will ALWAYS be slightly off from the actual pitch. if tuning by harmonics, you'll always find the chords that you play will eventually sound slightly off because of this. (also, without an extremely accurate intonation, it's almost impossible to tune by harmonics.)

my advice would be to follow what Eric Johnson does, which is a very nice and thought out way of tuning. Get the G string to be in tune, and then tune all other strings relative to the G string. The shortcomings of the tempered guitar would be balanced by the fact that the guitar is now tuned from a (rough) centre pitch of the range of the guitar, so it doesn't feel "off". (the other reason also is because we play so much barre chords that involve using the G string to sound a major/minor.

aiyah....

im so blurr now 8O...

yalah, like dat you nid to know the sound of the E or G string really well then...how ah??

hmm... sorry i just jumped in... eric's tuning concept is for a 6 string guitar.

i still won't recommend tuning via harmonics though... best is use a tuner. for bass, make sure ur intonation of the bass is very accurate... it's much easier to spot bass sounding offtune on the higher frets.

hi all, new to the forum and bass too...
i'm using a Fernades Jazz Bass copy 4 strings currently using a guitar amp -_-|||

my dream bass will be a jazz bass or an ESP-ELT the bass used by tetsu of l'arc-en-ciel(jap band)

dream bass? any of u?

Latest posts

Back