Band Home Recording

jimz : cheers to your drummer man.4 hours is alright (I'd take almost that long but I wouldn't sound as good as him cos i suck heheh) it's all worth it. most of my drums recordings have problems alone cos of crappy skins and tuning. yeah and it's good you didn't DI. cos I bet you , you would have sound worse. guitar->distortion pedal->pre-amp->sound card was never an option for me haha. unless you're using those amp emulator like line6 pod. it's all cool really. the vocals are great. what mic was used for the vocals?

Thanks blueprintstudios...Well, the band that I was recording was a very promising local Chinese rock band called, L'ze.fier. If they have took part in SuperBand they stands a high chance winning..haha...But too bad they disbanded...

As for the vocal mic, I used a Rode NTV condenser mic. It was not a very good mic as the final output audio was abit thin and weak which I had to compress and EQ quite alot esp on the 1 to 4KHz range.

oh I thought that was your band hehe, thought like a sudden big improvement or something..
wow NTV mic hehe. that one's discontinued already i think.. I thought it'd be more suitable for vocals. could be mic pre amp or the way the vocalist sang too. loads of factors. I ever recorded on an ART mic pre. despite using the same mic. even my normal behringer pre amp sounds better. weird. I like rode mics. they look pretty. price's usually pretty too.

Oh..Haha...My band did the recordings as well...The song Yi Wang but surely not as good as Hai You Yi Dian...Yeah...The NTV is a real classic mic I guess...But how I wish I can use a Neumann U87 haha..As for the drums overhead miking, I used a Rode NT3.

jimz said:
Oh..Haha...My band did the recordings as well...The song Yi Wang but surely not as good as Hai You Yi Dian...Yeah...The NTV is a real classic mic I guess...But how I wish I can use a Neumann U87 haha..As for the drums overhead miking, I used a Rode NT3.
haha U87.. yeah real nice mic. but that's way off the home-recording budget level I guess.
yeah I use NT3's for my overheads too, gives that full crash sound I feel. i tried audix f15 condensers as overheads before, not as full as the nt3s. NT3 works well for the distortion guitars too. but depends how you mic up, too much at the center cone will probably sound too harsh/fuzzy

blueprintstudios said:

recording in a bedroom (I sleep on a foldable bed) about 5m by 5m. computer/drums/amps all in here. sometimes I borrow my siblings room for amp recording.

I've uploaded 5 mp3s (1 live + 4 layered), I have permission to upload from the bands btw :

http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3PU4S2BWOGRJR2PTXAXSHCI93R
[EmoPunk] april 05 , layered test free recording (pod 2.0/bass D.I.) will be rerecording this song again in an amp mike up version next month since alot of "fans" msged me on msn saying it's a good song and all hahah..
-
http://s9.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3BCHZ7JJGC8WV1HQL3HPLX7E01
[PunkRock] june 05 , live recording (pod 2.0 / behringer vamp 2.0 / bass D.I.) + layered vocals.haha damn i suck...
-
http://s10.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=14UUI9G9RX8TU1JH2QSSJDSUQY
[PopPunk] this was a $10charge test layer recording in may 05 , very rough mix so you hear the drums kinda out of control. and the amp used sucks as distortion..
---
http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=17348DEUX0JMJ3KAL356OV6FBP
[Hardcore/Rock] err sept 05 work. kinda regret on the highs. had a short time to mix this and "AURAL FATIGUE" would be the cause of screwing up on the highs..
and pardon on the crackles on the vocals haha. my first time recording "screamo" vocals and I thought turning up the tube distortion on my presonus bluetube dp would sound good. end up trying decrackle it..
---
http://s4.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=3Q60H98ERF7LQ1XS58ZJ0U2ES0
[Metalcore] this one would be the most recent oct 05. drummer sounded like he almost tore my drumset apart haha..
---
currently recording my last band @ my room. then i'm movin' on to a different idea..

heheh I posted before, probably you missed it. I've checked the links they're still workin'

imperal_racer, you got to do something or post something and not just wait for us to tell you what to do. really. since you started the thread, is there any update on your status? i mean, you tried to find out more stuff regarding audio engineering, gears, schools ....?

one thing i tell you about audio engineer is, knowledge is king! you are the one person in the studio who is expected to know everything.

Re: topic hello

imperal_racer said:
hello i thought yall would relate to the problems i am having at home and help not about studios and all...

As I have said, you can go to library@esplanade under section number 621.383XXX to find audio related books to read up and understand the theory first. There is this book called "The AudioPro Home Recording Vol. I, II, III" by Mix Book Series which is very good for beginners who want to learn and know all about home recording or even studio recording. It comes with an audio CD for each volume. I have read all the 3 volumes before I entered SAE and it has helped me alot as a student. Another book will be "Home Recording Power". You can find it in the library too.

As for my bedroom home studio setup, its pretty simple. I stay in a old 3-rm HDB flat. I have attached a pic on my crampy desk. I only have one Shure SM58 dynamic mic, a behringer UB802 mixer, Pro Tools MBox and a Pentium 4 PC running on windows xp with 1 GB RAM, a behringer DSP 2024P. Last time, I can't afford a PC and Pro Tools and I record my stuffs on a Zoom MRS-4, a 4 track porta-studio. It was one of the cheapest and efficient recording/mixing hardware you can get. If you listen to my demo, http://www.bingmayou.com/buyaolikai.mp3 that was recorded and mixed on that $375 Zoom MRS-4 machine in 2001. My room doesnt even have an air-con or sound absorbers/panels. It was still acceptable for a home recording.
20786234365428l.jpg

imperal_racer said:
hello i thought yall would relate to the problems i am having at home and help not about studios and all...

dude , don't be spoonfed now. you lack of enthusiasm on your side, kinda asked ya like 2 weeks ago.. no reply.

blueprintstudios said:
equipment wise you got some pretty okay stuff, although I've never regarded creative as a recording soundcard. the mixer's good enough too.
with 6 XLR channels, y'know 3 channels - 2 overheads mics. 1 of your mic put on top of your kickdrum aiming at the snare. hopefully should pick up both "kick + snare"
2 channels - lead/rhythm guitars. (but you only got one guitar amp.. hmm)
1 for your screamo vocals (if you're gonna be screaming, watch the volume level)
and bass.. probably line into your bass amp's pre amp then direct line in into the mixer or something.
and if ya got a compressor, plug it into your inserts for your vocals so you can scream all ya want without worrying the vocals overloading badly.
thats all for live recording.. if you wanna multitrack layer (like record drums first then guitars then bass) , you'd probably need to get more mics + mic stands.

so what do you use to record? that? from mixer to tape output L/R -> 1/8 jack -> your creative soundcard -> your recording software?
you got any recording of your band on myspace?

show more enthusiasm and some of us will be more than happy to talk about it. no insecurities, no "trade secrets" bullcrap. =)

hahah the MRS-4 looks cute. i never got to handle anything like that in my whole life before. hey jim any constructive comments for my recordings?

Hey blueprintstudios, I cant listen to your recordings as it promted me this:
"Your file has expired.

Unfortunately, your file has expired. A link is valid for 7 days or a limited number of downloads, whichever occurs first.

Once the link expires, the file is deleted and cannot be recovered. "

jimz said:
Hey blueprintstudios, I cant listen to your recordings as it promted me this:
"Your file has expired.

Unfortunately, your file has expired. A link is valid for 7 days or a limited number of downloads, whichever occurs first.

Once the link expires, the file is deleted and cannot be recovered. "

i'll add ya on msn and send ya . heheh

hi guys,

im very interested in everything on what you guys have been discussing so far. Im 16 this year too, like Imperial Racer, and would love to gain more knowledge on Recording/Audio Engineering/SAE,SP,Laselle Music Technology courses. Although i wont be graduating this year but next, i need to visualize a career path for me to look forward to. And i was thinking of taking the Diploma in Music and Technology in SP but am still not sure if should, i mean there's a whole gallery of Audio-engineering related courses. so i dont know which to choose. help!

Back