Advice for First time singer

Curly

hey guys, so yeah my first time performing is coming up and as the lead vocalist i was wondering if theres anything that i should do regarding sound settings or anything. Im a total noob with NO experience. So any help or tips you guys cud provide me would be great.

unless you're singing from the live sound mixer instead of the stage.. there's nothing you can do i think. just give the soundman a good soundcheck.

10¢ worth.

dont use your hand to pop the microphone. talk into it. "mic check.. mic check"

check out the video posted in the front page of SOFT. see how different singers do their thing. learn the good habit.

thanks guys for the advice so far. Keep it coming. Im learning as much as i possibly can. No point reinventing the wheel right?

Just make sure you can hear yourself clearly in the monitor mix, with the instrument that's playing melody to stay in tune. Many singers go off tune cause they cannot hear the melody properly.
Let us know how the gig ya?

Dun forget -eye contact to the audience. Dun lock your eyes on your band mates. You are the frontman. If must.. drag along your kakis to support you so you can be comfy on stage and haf ppl you noe 4 u to look at (but dun jus look at ur kakis :p).

alright will do. We will be performing at music mania 3. 22nd OCt 6pm at Gas Haus. Bands Weekend In Paris. Do drop by . Then you guys can tell me wat i did right and what i could have done better lol. Thanks

I'm not exactly a singer, but rather I would say I am replying from a audience point of view.

I think many times, we have seen cover bands at bars and gigs doing what they are best at. To perform, to influence and bring love and emotions through music. But the feel of a song is utterly far from present.

Eye contact with the audience is important. It's a form of "sincerity" onstage, which can somehow contribute to your stage presence.

And also may I suggest, that you yourself feel the vibes of the song as you sing? Why? The reason for being so, we have seen tonnes and tonnes of bands' vocalist sing like reciting dictations in school. We really don't need someone to show the audience that he/she can memorize the lyrics well. Anyone can memorize lyrics and chunk it all out on stage.

It all boils down to delivery... I see that as a very important aspect for bands and particularly the lead vocalist. (Just try and imagine how some Jazz singers capture the attention of their audience.) Sing like as if the song belongs to you...

DD

You should find out more about the mic you're gonna be using. During the soundcheck, make sure you test the mic thoroughly. Try to sing into the 'sweet spot' of the mic as far as possible. If you're gonna scream or sing louder at particular parts of the performance, make sure you pull back the mic accordingly.
All the best for your gig. Cheers!

hey guys, today was pretty ok. Some problems like my mic chord being too short preventing me from walking around, and the worst one was playing to the wrong crowd!! yep it was a metalhead crowd with no place for rock/indie type music. Sad but true. Anyways, overall i think we did alright for the first time out.

Hey Curly,

It's only the first gig... don't go too hard on yourself. Yea, playing and singing to the wrong crowd can be quite a nightmare.

DD

Back