WTS: 2005 Gibson Flame Maple J-185EC

dtyw

Hi guys,

Letting a beautiful blondie in my personal collection go. This is an out of production Gibson J-185EC with absolutely gorgeous flamed maple back and sides, and is a real joy to play as I personally had it setup by Malcolm about a month ago.

I originally chose this particular model as it had tonal and visual similarity to the coveted J-200 - I've tried the J-200 and it's just a little too unwieldy for me. This piece is a more comfortable version of the J-200 but still retains the big tonal characteristics associated with the jumbo guitar. It's very well balanced and makes an excellent recording guitar to accompany vocals (probably the best strummer in my guitar stable). Electronics have been tested in the studio recently and are in great working condition.

The J-185EC is no longer made with the higher quality materials and appointments like the ebony moustache bridge, ebony fretboard and gold hardware. It's worthy to note the part of the bound fretboard that is closest to the sound hole is also shaped in a "moustache", unlike the current production ones which are flat. The playability on this guitar is buttery smooth, action is super low and it can still handle aggressive strumming with no buzz. Surprisingly this guitar also sounds beautiful when used for fingerstyle with a lot of clarity and balance across the board, a trait not normally associated with bigger bodied guitars. This one is a perfect "Swiss Army knife" axe to handle most acoustic guitar applications.

There is plenty of fret life left, and apart from slight oxidation on the gold tuners (normal for guitars in Singapore), the cosmetic condition is MINT. I take good care of my gear, and there is not a ding nor scratch on this guitar as it has only been played at home/in the studio and never gigged.

It's tough to see this one go, as I've wanted a blonde Gibson jumbo ever since seeing the great Pete Townshed belt out Pinball Wizard - unfortunately I am shifting to a new house soon and am pressed to downsize my collection. This piece is beautifully figured, sounds incredible and is very much sought after given its vintage appointments.

I have reduced the price on this one to $2,700 - need to let this one go soon as I am shifting house soon. Interested buyers may buzz me at 9128-9167 me for more information or to arrange a test run. Price can be further discussed if we can have a quick deal, however please negotiation within reason - do adequate research and know what you are buying. Also, please do not offer trades.

I hope this beauty finds herself in the hands of a person who can appreciate her!

g2.jpg

g1.jpg

g3.jpg

g4.jpg

Back