Wooden Hoops

7earsDoFall

Umm, I was just wondering. What's the purpose of wooden hoops (esp for snare drums)? Does it affect the sound in anyway? I suppose that with wooden hoops you cannot do rim shots and rim clicks?

I've seen a youtube user who plays a set of drums with all wooden hoops. Very interesting...

I'm just wondering if it is ok to use wooden hoops on metal snares?
I konw steve gadd's signature is a metal snare (brass or something) and it looks like it has wood hoops on it, but when I went down to PS yamaha to check it out, it didn't feel wooden, more like plastic..

Sure can bro. I've even seen people put wood hoops on free floaters...acrylic snares...piccolos...etc etc.

depends on the type of metal. you dont wanna dry it out too much, you know. like putting wood hoops on an aluminium snare, or those hammered snares.

My personal opinion:

I never did like wood hoops on my snares. Cross-sticking may be nice but somehow, it always affect the way I execute my rim shots.

They're all right! Sound changes drastically and you get a drier sound as well though somewhat fatter sounding. Makes the snare sound really huge. Rimshots sound crazy man! You'll likey if you dig the woody 'thang' sound you can get from rimshotting it.

I know cos' I have snare with wood hoops on and off. ;)

oh. sounds interesting. how much do wooden hoops usually cost? What wood are they made of? If i'm not mistaken, drums resources sell them? But other than there, is there any place that I should look at if I want to buy them?

Thanks

Back