Whose your favourite guitarist in the world?

Steve Vai, Jimmy Page, Tom Morello, Slash

well even though its boring to see the same names, but these r those guys i liked the most.

I recently started listening to Danny Gatton. I don't care much for country music but whoa..his tone is not what you normally find in this genre. His signature Fender Tele rocks too!

Ragus said:
I recently started listening to Danny Gatton. I don't care much for country music but whoa..his tone is not what you normally find in this genre. His signature Fender Tele rocks too!

The late danny gatton's stuff is great!!! Pure rocking tele tone. His style of playing is more than just country, with shades of blues and jazz. Supered guitar skill and he "shreds" on the tele. Great choice of music!!

FOr a metal head

I'll just name my fav's in no order of merit

Jeff Beck (gosh! He plays with his fingers!)
Steve Vai (crazy quirky songs)
Paul Gilbert (speed monster)
Yngwie Malmsteen (another speedo...+neo classical)
Joe Satriani (out of this world)
Jimmy Paige (I juz love him!)
Ritchie Blackmore (Deep Purple...)
Steve Morse (Deep Purple part 2)
Eddie Van Halen (for tapping)
Slash (tone phreak melodies)
Billy Sheehan (sorry..he's a bassist but he puts guitarists to shame)

well here are my list...

Racerx duo (Paul and Bruce)
Ron Thal
Freak kitchen (Mattias*)
Richie Kotzen
Frank Gambale
George Lynch
Angra duo (Rafael and Kiko)
Troy Stetina

too many ..other guitartist...

pretty rockin....stringed players:

john frusciante
johnny greenwood
jimi hendrix
graham coxon
bernard butler
tom jenkinson
fennesz
jaco pastorius

Mike Einziger of incubus , his talents .. words cant describe. He definitely one of the best modern guitarist out there, his works on a crow left of the the murder is totally awesome,u seldom hear him playing power chords in the album , lots of clever riffs, the solo in priceless does show that he can come up with ingenious shredding licks just like any of the classic rock guitarists.

he can connect his guitar playing very well to the lyrics of the song(the song stellar is a brilliant example of that.), not many people can do that. I think this is a very important quality of a good guitarist.

Eric Clapton....I just got hold of his unplugged dvd....he made guitar-playing look so easy and he still have time to shift his specs, smoke....

i chanced apon this late guitarist on 92.4 fm. By name of Guilliani i think. The most celebrated spanish guitarist in all time. Any info on this fella? Any fans of classical guitarists too? I'm always in awe of what classical guitarists can do...as such, rock/electric guitarists tt can cross the boundaries always "floor" me......like Jeff Beck...Yngwie...etc

Have ya guys heard of the classical guitarist Remi Boucher? He's great, the way he plays the classical is just magical. Not to mention he has got expressions too, much like vai, just not as exaggerated, cool nonetheless. The other fella i admire is John Williams. Extremely composed look when playing with the instrument. Sometimes i wonder how much time these people take to master the instrument..

I wonder how some players are strum, lead melody and percussion at the same time too on a flamenco piece. It's amazing.... I tried to learn it but it's just too HARD!!! lol....

Before guitar heros glorify the 2 hand tapping technique, those latin old men are stroking dual melodies on their classicals....and the arpeggios... simply magnificent....

However, I'll still prefer a cool looking Steve Vai than a balding guitar maestro.....coz a JEM is definitely cooler and meaner than a gentile classical ...

That percussion thing, the way they slap their guitars for the drum sound in a heated flamenco piece is simply cool. But then again, in terms of difficulty, a flamenco piece, or any old, real classic for that matter is really much harder to play then the modern songs performed by Vai, or even shredders like Malmsteen. But then again, the electric and classical guitar are two different instruments for different music so i suppose we shouldn't make comparisons :)
Really, the way i see it, I'd put Stevie Ray Vaughan and Eric Johnson at the top of my list.

Greg Howe, Ritchie Kotzen, Yngwie J Malmsteen, John Petrucci, Michael Romeo, Marcel Coenen, Paul Gilbert, Nuno Bettencourt, Reb Beach, Shawnlane(RIP), Ron Thal.. many many many more.. cant stop..
main one is John Petrucci .. :D

I think Mark Knopfler is THE BEST guitarsit.
He was the front man for DIRE STRAITS and he is now going solo.
Anybody who play lead will know that his style is one of its' kind.
He uses finger style and also a pick.
And lastly..he sings and at the same time..play a lead...
Who can do that......
Vai,joe satchi,eric johnson..etc...are great..but they can't sing and play at the same time.
Go hear DIRE STRAITS....sons like Sultan of swing,telegraph road,tunnel of love,romeo and jiliet.etc..are difficult stuff to play..
If you can play note for note....I salute you.....try and sing and play the solos.....You will be the best of all.

Many years ago,I once asked request a band to play dire straits "sultan of swing" cos i think the lead guitarist was great.
He told sincererly...Money for nothing...is what he knows....Sultan of swing....NO WAY....!!!
Any body can play sultan of swing....?

Back