Which heads should I get for Sensitone Steel snare?

Beansprouts

Hi guys, I've been looking for suitable snare heads for weeks now, still don't know what to get. :(

I am looking for a sound like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFazkAHnJvQ

I believe that's a quite dark sound right?
But yeah, I've tried tuning and all sorts of stuffs online to get it sound like that.

My snare has the stock heads, does it matter too?

Thanks! :D

Depends a lot on what your snare is? Is it a brass snare too?

What stock heads on them? Single ply like ambassadors should give you that sound. If you want something more to control the ring, you can try Controlled Sound. I think EmperorX gives you that sound as well.

All with the right tuning of course.

It's a steel snare, 14 x 5.5.
The heads are the Pearl Pro-Tone ones.

Talking about tuning, I tune the batter tight while the resonant moderately tight. Can right? :l
I'm a very tone deaf person. Haha.

I've just got a Coated Ambassador and a clear snare side on my brass Sensitone and it sounds great at a few different head tensions

I always find this head combo a good place to start with new drums too. Then you can decide if you want to go heavier, darker, brighter etc... from there

Remo coated ambassador/ coated CS dot over hazy ambassador should sound good with proper tuning.

If you like Evans, try the power centre reverse dot over a hazy 300.

Good luck! Let us know what you get!

malmbas: Oh, may I ask, what is a snare side?

jukebox: Hmmmm, CS is the Controlled Sound right? Most likely I would be getting Remo heads. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions!

jukebox: Hmmmm, CS is the Controlled Sound right? Most likely I would be getting Remo heads. :)

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Hey bro!

I used to own a Steel Sensitone, and one head combi I really liked was G2 coated over Hazy 300! G1s are nice too, but rankin didn't have stock, so I had to settle for G2s :(

@malmbas
May I know where you got your coated ambs from? SL said they were sold out :( drop me a PM if you can!

sorry It took me a while to check back on this post. I was just referring to an clear 'ambassador snare'. It's Remo's standard weight resonant side head for snare drums
hope the snares sounding good

@malmbas
May I know where you got your coated ambs from? SL said they were sold out :( drop me a PM if you can!

Sorry man I'm in Australia, I buy them over here. But attack and evans make great single ply coated heads too

Sorry man I'm in Australia, I buy them over here. But attack and evans make great single ply coated heads too

DAMNNNNN haha... yeah I'm using evans G1s for both my snares and toms, but because I tend to be a bit lazy and leave my snare/toms in the car after I perform and leave them for about 2-3 days, they tend to melt a bit and start to become sticky.

the snare head has small dots on it because i left it in my warwick case in the car, and it melted, and the soft interior got stuck on the snare head!!

:(

Alright, I think I shall either go with Coated Ambassador over Clear/Hazy ambassador
OR/AND
G2 over Hazy 300!

Thanks guys! :D:D

Back