What should I buy next?

hellmurderer

Hi guys, I've been pretty bored of my gears. Currently using an Ibanez SA 120 + Marshall MG15FGXMS. Do you guys think I should buy pedals to improve my sound or change my pickups?

Please also give recommendations on the pedals or pickups? Thanks!

Improve your sound? If you believe in the adage that tone is in the fingers, then perhaps spend the time improving your technique. Also like jumpin'jellybean said, we need to know what kind of tone you're looking for and what you feel your current setup is lacking.

I would recommend getting an amp change. IMO there would be a bigger difference in getting a good 1 x 12 speaker amp as compared to changing a set of pickups. Of course, you'd have to tell us your budget so it's easier for us to recommend stuff.

How about a new toothbrush? You'll never know when you'll need it, so buy a new toothbrush next.

But pertaining to your gear, i'd say.... a drive pedal as said above, whats your budget?
If budgets not a problem how about a new guitar :p:p:p

i think u should get a multieffects pedal so u can play around with all sorts of effects and have a feel of different amp types. Maybe u can have a look at the new pod hd300, quite a big hype on this newly launched multiefx.

This is a demo of hd400, the "brother" version of the hd300, but essentially has the same sounds, just different features
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GELZpuo7ZA8&feature=related

If u are interested in multieffects check out zoom and vox multieffects too. Search for sound samples and compare features etc :D

I think you do not need to change your pickups unless it is noisy(could be due to bad wiring oso) or has really bad definition and clarity.

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies. I guess I'm just bored and need some new gears to play around with. Multi efx seems like a good choice. My budget would probably be around 300 bucks, though I will be willing to top up more if necessary.

The HD400 sounds bloody good! How much would their (HD300 and 400) list price be?

If you're to get a Line 6 HD series multi-efx, my suggestion would be to save like crazy and wait til the year end sales, then snap up the HD500. Its one hell of a multi-efx, in my experience its one of the best i've ever tried, scores high marks in all departments: tone quality (both the effects and distortions sound frighteningly good), tweakability, user-friendliness, looks. Only thing is, it weighs a ton. I've done a side-by-side comparison with the Boss GT-10 and the HD500 won hands-down. The only thing that would really make me declare this the best multi-efx of all time (this sounds far-fetched but its IMHO) is the addition of a tube preamp, i felt the distortions could be a little creamier but that's just me being my anal self.

Changing the pickups may seem enticing but you must really think hard before you opt to change them, because you might regret them if you don't choose wisely. Getting a multi-efx might do the trick though. The Boss ME-25 should seems nice, but that's me. :)

Back