what bout roland microcube?

shattered

hey ppl,
im starting out soon.
im thinking of getting a beginner amp and i heard that roland microcubes are actually quite good, are they better than the line6 amps?
need some reviews on it too. i know that cube 30 is better but its way too ex for a beginner like me. my budget is only about $200+ and i know that the micro is bout $220. Not really sure of what type of music to play yet though, maybe rock a lil and stuff.
Or are there any better amps preferably preamps?

hello, this is the REVIEW section where REVIEWS are posted... if you want ADVICE go to the guitar gear forum.

what i heard bout the roland cube...
tube amp sound.
fantastic.
if you dont want the cube 30...
there's a cube10...10 watts with quite a few different modes... overdrive. acoustic. a few others.
under two hundred...

And the cube15, is a poor entry IMO. Only 4 amp models (right?) and no efx.... Its micro or the cube30 IMO.

Hi

I have a Microcube and I love it.

Pros:
Cheap ($167 from SL BB)
Good selection of reasonable sounding amp models (best are Jazz Chorus and Rectifier IMHO)
Runs on batteries if you prefer (more than 20 hours 6 x AA)
Reasonable effects for the price
Highly portable and rugged

Cons:
A little aftertouch noise on some of the high gain models
speaker can't handle much volume or low-end and distorts
Would have been nice if the AC adapter wasn't external

Yes - sorry should have mentioned that. :)

One other con: - power switch is at the back of the amp. Highly annoying and slightly puzzling placement.

1325_gd.jpg

Roland MicroCUBE
List: $280

This isn't s pocket amp by any chance, neither is it a proper entry-level pracrice amp as its nature suggests. The MicroCUBE (MC) is really a compressed unit, aimed at the travelling performer but not exclusively.

Like its other CUBE siblings, the MC sports a compact top deck control panel. What you get is a selection of very useful tone modulation features (flanger/ phaser/ chorus/ tremolo), an amp modelling reference & the obligatory volume/ tone/ gain knobs. The bonus feature here is an on-board tuning fork, a practical inclusion. The overall built of the MC is unquestionalbly sturdy with handling attributes in mind- a carry strap/ edge protectors. The only gripe with the externals here is the location of the power switch which is placed at the rear of the amp, so if you have any plans to place the MC against the wall, do keep this in mind.

Tone-wise, the MC means business. The inclusion of an amp modelling section is the manufacturer's clear intention for variety. As the labels suggest, the player has a selection of mild-drive type output to an all-out gain. Tone purists would demerit the MC's tonal accuracy in this aspect but the voicing replication here remains convincing albeit sounding a little synthetic at high volume levels. This reviewer is particularly implressed with the Classic Stack selection where the MC's version adds a touch of polished midrange while other manufacturers are bent on offering an overtly fizzy setting.

The EFX & reverberation pallette are the gem in this little ditty, these are very rich sounding effects patches which do not interfere with the overall volume response, unlike plugging in pedals in one's effects line-up. The setback on the other hand is the lack of EFX volume control, so for those of us who are very much in love with a certain effect input but would like a subtler background mix, no such option is offered.

Besides serving the guitar player, the MC has a mic option on board. While it is aimed at versatility, any enthusiastic shouting would only give off a fuzzy response. The battery power (6 X AA) option is also one to appease the busking individual. The tones at full power remains unscathed, but dying batteries would only serve to fuzz-out majority of the settings, the accoustic option being the primary victim.

All in all, the MC isn’t a pocket amp in the like of a Marshall MS2 for instance. There is a serious array of tones to be had, a cheap sounding compromise it is not. If you have auditioned many entry level amplifiers (think of a 15 watter...) in the stores, be prepared to hear a better sounding unit from the MC. In fact, the features it offers beat most starter amps in the value-for-money category, hands down. Whether the MC serves you as a practice unit or a reliant in small venue performances (maybe a groupie show-&-tell), it is a worthy investment. The feeling of having bought a cheap, small amp, is simply absent.

Rating: 8.5/ 10

• Tuning fork inclusion
• Light-weight
• Battery option

Dislikes:
• Power switch rear location
• Adaptor induces hum
• Lacking a dedicated EQ section
• Flimsy carry strap

Worthy contender
• Vox DA5

Back