Wat's your favorite country made for Fender?

I've tried good ones and bad ones from America, Mexico and Japan.. Never tried a Korean one before though.. Judge the instrument individually, not by it's make!

Hmmm.. What country bothers me the most? I'd be pretty wary if it is a Made in Singapore Fender or something.. LOL.. Cause it shouldn't exist!

America produces the best sounding fenders with the best specs

Japan might not produce the best sounding, or have the best specs, but the higher end models are also really good for the lower price.

"Never tried a Korean one before though.. Judge the instrument individually, not by it's make!"

+1

applies to every single guitar out there

the Lite Ash stratocaster/telecaster is made in Korea instead of mexico. most of their acoustic guitars are made in Korea too.

for me Fender USA has more to offer in terms of product range. MIJ models are based mainly on reissues of old fenders. if only Japan made Fenders offered relics and stuff. that might be worth considering.

I find CIJ strats more consistent than mexican or american ones....I can go to any store, pick up any cij 57 strat and it would sound almost like the one i have (albeit without the modifications).

In general most of the american and MIM strats i've tried you need to try at least a few pieces to hear the subtle varying differences between each one. American guitars have more QC and you are less likely to get a lemon compared to MIMs....but i find the Japanese makes the most consistent guitars.

Also more often than not, the Japanese makes come with better stock pickups...you mostly get Dimarzios, Fender Texas Specials , American Vintage in them compared to the US and MIM standard models. The main drawback is almost all of them are 21 frets....cos most of the American standards come with 22 frets.

Also more often than not, the Japanese makes come with better stock pickups...you mostly get Dimarzios, Fender Texas Specials , American Vintage in them compared to the US and MIM standard models. The main drawback is almost all of them are 21 frets....cos most of the American standards come with 22 frets.

Actually somehow I don agree, only Mexican Standard series comes with standard pickups, the rest of MIA & MIM comes with good pups. Although the MIM Standard comes standard pickups, the ceramic-made pups have pretty good tone unless you prefer smoother, less punchy tone of alnico-made pups.

haha im referring to the pups in the CIJ strats as "branded" in particular compared to the generic stock pups in MIM and MIA strats cos these pups are of the aftermarket variety compared to your usual Tex Mex and the likes. I'm not referring to whether the pups sound good or not, ceramic or alnico or otherwise cos those are of course subjected to one's personal tastes which constitutes to the word tone.

Higher perceived value aftermarket pups are easier to sell too if you plan to swap it out.

Last edited:
Many years ago I had a Fender Squier made in Mexico. Bought for a mere $375.00. It was the only guitar I owned as a teen and when hooked up in all the right ways, was probably the sweetest one I'd ever played. I can still remember its yummy clean tone.

I've had a couple of fenders in my history. I would seriously have to say the CIJ's pack in a bang for the buck. They are really well made and beautiful and very much up to par with the MIA's. They will catch up sooner or later.

I just bought my first fender american standard 2008 yesterday at SL and was very surprised that the factory setup is really amazing *maybe i was lucky*. almost needs no setup. only had 2 do a very slight intonation on the B string and thats it. everything was perfect!

I'm not too sure about the MEX models after owning a few. They are not bad but they cant match up to the CIJ's and MIA's in terms of build and QC. And the price tag for the mex models has risen significantly as well. might as well get a good premium CIJ for that kind of money if you can catch one.

The best MIM piece i have used by far is the 60th anniversary in blizzard pearl model! It's really one of those you hate to keep but love to play axes. Nice build and great tone that has a reasonable price tag. Still have regrets selling it.

I would rate:

1. MIA
2. CIJ
3. MIM

have not tried a korean made fender so i cant relate.

:D

Last edited:
I've had incredible experiences with my MIM 40th Anniversary Strat, it really is quite amazing the playability and quality.

Then also recently the feature laden Fender American Deluxe has been a real treat to play as well, Noiseless single coils with S-1, ergonomic body design, three bolt neck all well worth it.

I'd go with MIA then MIM, I don't have much playtime with MIJ but from what I've gathered so far they hold up pretty well to the other respective makes.

I find CIJ strats more consistent than mexican or american ones....I can go to any store, pick up any cij 57 strat and it would sound almost like the one i have (albeit without the modifications).

too consistent perhaps? loses the fun of trying out the guitar discovering something surprising ;)

Back