Warped guitar neck...

So here's the thing, my friend just gave me a really beat up Ibanez GRG. So i decided to learn how to set up a guitar using this piece.

So the 1st thing i noticed when i got home was the neck was quite drastically warped. And even after some drastic adjustment on the truss rod, there seems to be no difference... And a youtube video actually stated that if you have to use force to turn the truss rod, it means it is actually the guitar neck that is too warped...

So i was wandering how the HACK do i solve this problem. BTW, the neck is warped in a concave manner meaning the strings are further away from the fretboard.

Any help would be much appreciated :p thanks

Hmmm.............well if its as bad as you say, might wanna get a tech to look at it? I understand you're using it to practice setup but it'll be absolutely no use if the neck stays as warped as it is.

hm

i assume u mean its bowed, not warped.
remember righty tighty, lefty loosie...
if u tighten the nut, it tightens the rod, and compresses the fretboard so it gets flatter and vice versa.
so tightening is what u have to do...start with 1/8 - 1/4 turn...go order pizza and come back again.

if its warped everywhere...only way to fix it is to remove all the frets, replane it and refret...

refret is too tough LOL . get a replacement neck would be cheaper i think. Like the eden guitar necks at standard value would be about 120 bucks maybe

it is indeed removable, the reasin it could be attached in the first place... if it's a prized possession, you wouldn't want to detach the neck for the costly entailments (might require re-finish if necessary).

never force tighten a truss rod under any circumstance. if it SEEMS stuck at first, spray contact spray and try again. if the truss rod breaks the repair costs could be more than buying 2 Ibanez Gios depending on how bad it is.

Set neck can be done too. :p
Except it'll cost quite a sum. I think there was a discussion on whether set necks can be removed...

i know it can be done, but it'll be dumb.
about 13yrs ago i called up gibson to get a quote on a neck replacement, USD400.
now i wouldnt dare to ask :p

and that USD400 does not include refinishing etc...

Back