The unofficial Youth Olympic Games 2010 thread

=loldude333

yeah later for uni admission you bring your YOG ticket stub they sure let you go any course you want

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say that our young boys were extremely impressive to watch, loads more pace and creativity than the senior team, which is built on discipline and defensive solidarity. Even though they were smaller than the Montenegro boys, they hassled the hell out of them. The first goal was a great pass and finish, the 2nd partially due to the Montenegro keeper's Almunia-like grasp of the ball and the 3rd a wonderful assist..........from the Montenegro centrebacks. Jeffrey Lightfoot was immense in defence, and he can distribute it pretty well too. In midfield, no fuss, just pass, and up front the movement and creativity of Brandon Koh, Jonathan Tan, Muhaimin Suhaimi and Hanafi Akbar was pretty, if not extremely fluid. I feel Hanafi can do a lot better, he needs to keep it simple. They will probably go into the final, but then it'll be a hell of a test against Bolivia, who scored 9 goals against Haiti and are the firm favourites to win.

the young cubs showed more tenacity & determination than their senior teams who often let the pangs of demoralization get the better of them- they tend to give up when falling behind, not this team. they were also more involved in the game, just look at them having a go at the ball even if it's in the posession of their bigger opponents. must say i enjoyed watching the match & it's kids playing, mind you.
sport-soccer-smiley-24.gif

I was impressed to see the young cubs played yesterday, in fact I was glued to the TV screen. Although I will say that they could not last the whole 80 mins, as you can see towards the end, there's more of mis-kicks/passes and injuries (cramps and pull) etc. But nevertheless, they played well with great determination and desire.

Just hope that they don't get too overjoyed and over-confident over this victory, just look at the Germans after they've thrashed England and Argentina. They've just won A game, not the tournament so let's hope they remain focus.

I've always enjoyed Singapore football but I've stopped supporting them so much after they were thrash by Malaysia 4-0 in 2002. Friendly or no friendly, so long it's Malaysia, they're our arch rival, a game with them is considered our derby. Sometimes they just don't know how they should value the jersey they put on every time they play a game. However they still improve over the years. If only they have that fighting spirit and discipline like the Young Cubs, maybe they could even reach South Africa. They were almost there during the qualifiers.. but they play like crap. Sometimes i think that a strong determination, discipline and fighting spirit can overcome technical abilities. A fact of how much will and desire that you want..

Just my thoughts.. :D

Hahahaha yeahh the flagbearers. My friends and i were laughing away at the farce of it all. Today's newspapers also said it all: YOG venues empty despite all tickets being sold out. Why? Schoolkids, PRIMARY school kids are the ones going! FAIL. Isn't it supposed to be the secondary school and JC kids? Why aren't they there? Oh, because education comes first, so poor JC kids like me have to have prelim exams right during the YOG so i do't really have time to go down and watch. And if i do find time at the last minute, the tickets are all sold out. FAIL. C'mon, China had a 2week holiday prior to the Games for preparation, and they also had holiday during the Games, i saw many teens in the crowds attending the various events. But noooooooo, we can't sacrifice our studies can we? Seriously, Singapore organises some bigshit thing, oh its the first Youth Olympic Games EVER and it won't ever come back to Singapore our lifetime. What then, am i doing worrying about prelims when i'll gladly take time off to support the Games? FAIL.

This YOG event in Singapore has seen so many FAIL already, that we are already losing count.

1. YOG bus lanes are created - first time in Singapore. Motorists will be fined $130 for not giving way to olympic buses - first time in the world !!..........FAIL

2. Ridiculous and meaningless "monster" display in the opening ceremony..........FAIL

3. MOE and other government organisations buying up most of the venue tickets hoping to fill up the stadiums so as to "look good", leaving the public shortage of tickets........FAIL

4. YOG volunteers who sacrifice their time to make the event a success were rewarded with lousy miserable rations, while the foreign visitors feast like a king at the buffet table.........FAIL

5. And then the thankless souls suffered food poisoning.........DOUBLE FAIL

6. YOG bus drivers abuse their rights by speeding above speed limits, tail-gating and flashing headlights at motorists, recklessly endangering the public..........FAIL

7. Well, it has to happen! A YOG bus was involved in a seven vehicles collision along PIE..........MORE FAIL

8. Parents of Singapore's young athletes could not watch their children in action because of shortages of tickets due to point #3...........FAIL

9. Empty stadiums all over event venues because point #3 has backfired. In another words, the government has screwed up...........SUPER FAIL

10. Way overblown budget from a planned $110M to a now whopping $400M (of tax payers monies)...........MAJOR FAIL

Finally.......

Foreigners pleasing PAP telling us to be gracious and adopt the YOG spirit despite the on-goings of point #1 to #10.............EPIC FAIL !!!

:p

Hahahaha yeahh the flagbearers. My friends and i were laughing away at the farce of it all. Today's newspapers also said it all: YOG venues empty despite all tickets being sold out. Why? Schoolkids, PRIMARY school kids are the ones going! FAIL. Isn't it supposed to be the secondary school and JC kids? Why aren't they there? Oh, because education comes first, so poor JC kids like me have to have prelim exams right during the YOG so i do't really have time to go down and watch. And if i do find time at the last minute, the tickets are all sold out. FAIL. C'mon, China had a 2week holiday prior to the Games for preparation, and they also had holiday during the Games, i saw many teens in the crowds attending the various events. But noooooooo, we can't sacrifice our studies can we? Seriously, Singapore organises some bigshit thing, oh its the first Youth Olympic Games EVER and it won't ever come back to Singapore our lifetime. What then, am i doing worrying about prelims when i'll gladly take time off to support the Games? FAIL.

Hahah yea mine are ending though. Prelims for A's that is..

Its because Singapore's O and A level systems follow the UK British system which it originated from anywhere. So they definitely wont push or delay the papers in light of this. Its not as though everyone is participating though.

=guitarsan

9999% agree.

agree

and yes i agree totally.

cool man theres a I hate yog facebook group. they even changed their name to i hate YOG organising commitee FB group.

Cool stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
guitarsan, I think we should put aside the political preference and celebrate the sporting instead. The many youths who trained hard for this competition and travelling all across the world for this is enough reason to be given the credit.

We should encourage everyone involve in the event by saying "If you have tried your best, you are a winner".

If anything, it's a pity that Singaporeans are not more involved in YOG. Just look at other countries, everywhere will be packed to the brim with supporters and every one will be in the spirit of the event. It's just not the same, maybe we're too busy earning money or studying to have time to come down, maybe we're just not a sporting culture people, I don't really know. All I know is that a worldwide event that was right at my doorstep is going to end in a few weeks and it didn't affect me at all. Which is sad as hell.

I guess people have to remember YOG is really cater for youth/kids. and for all the kids to put their heart and sweat on this events to show the world. it's really amazing.
It's the first major event singapore did and with only 2 years to prepare unlike all the other olympic organiser which have 8 years in total to prepare. we did a decent jobs.
Mind you, i'm not from the YOG committee or the government sector. I'm just thinking if we ourself not supporting the younger generation of sportsmen to grow, how can we mature the sports scene in singapore. like wise for music.
complaining is not the way to show support. the least we can do is not complaining and try to support them by watching them play their sports. even if they got beaten badly, we tried their best. YOG is not all about winning, it's a great stage for youth athletes to gain more world stage experience.
Again, Hope i didn't offended anyone. If we can't support ourself. nobody can. :)

Watching on Channel 5 now. Singapore is 2 goal behind Haiti. Few more mins before the final whistle.

the Cubs deserved the defeat. they lack the competence & composure of their previous encounter. a let-down to say the least. they have a bronze medal match to go, hopefully they won't end the olympics empty handed.

And i'm glad to say they didn't look as woeful as against Haiti. Montenegro looked tired to be honest, but the Cubs were extremely clinical this time around, save Muhaimin Suhaimi's decision to shoot from range when he was clear through on goal. Hanafi scored twice, set up Ammirul Mazlan's header and i believe he also won the penalty, although it was rather dubious. Dukhilan Jeevamani is seriously damn good, his fierce tackling and cool head meant that Singapore weren't made to pay whenever he was under pressure. However, few sides Singapore face will have as low energy levels as the Montenegrans, we really need to work on defending from setpieces, the Montenegro goal was absolutely terrible.

@superpotato: I believe we're from the same school then. Only my school has prelims this early.

why are there so many haters towards the YOG?

for me, i honestly feel that Singapore has pride itself on her economic stability and i think the YOG is more of a showcase to attract people to Singapore rather than to show our sports prowess. despite being small, we can take on monumental tasks, though there have been some faults, i think its not unforgivable since its our first time hosting something as major as this.
true, more could have been done. but i think we're learning as we go, so do be forgiving.

i believe, at the end of the day. even if we get fined for not giving way or whatever. i think the larger picture would be to attract more people to Singapore to invest and everything economic related. i think at the end of the day, we benefit if Singapore grows. or at least our children do.

and its really sad to see that not many schools were given holidays to get into the YOG spirit. i had prelims during the whole YOG period.
and its touching to see Singapore winning a few medals, considering how small we are...

And i'm glad to say they didn't look as woeful as against Haiti. Montenegro looked tired to be honest, but the Cubs were extremely clinical this time around, save Muhaimin Suhaimi's decision to shoot from range when he was clear through on goal. Hanafi scored twice, set up Ammirul Mazlan's header and i believe he also won the penalty, although it was rather dubious. Dukhilan Jeevamani is seriously damn good, his fierce tackling and cool head meant that Singapore weren't made to pay whenever he was under pressure. However, few sides Singapore face will have as low energy levels as the Montenegrans, we really need to work on defending from setpieces, the Montenegro goal was absolutely terrible.

@superpotato: I believe we're from the same school then. Only my school has prelims this early.

ACJC? What class haha..

Yea i saw that match too. Singapore looked more organized than Montenegro.
Everytime one of their players got the ball the cubs would steady the defence leaving them with nowhere to go. Interesting indeed.

^Personally, I agree with you, but that 'economic benefit' argument has been used by the government to explain the large influx of 'foreign talents' to National Service. Personally, even if it does work out, how many people will it benefit at most? Probably only the top 10% of the population.

Back