The Official Drummer "Welcome" Thread

There shouldn't be much issues with drumming at home, just make sure you're a responsible neighbour- don't drum late into the night and so on. If all else fails, get your drumset muted.

Anyway, it might be cheaper to sell your drumset, except the cymbals and snares and other stuff you like, then ship only those over. Then, when you come here, buy a new set. Otherwise, you'll have to manage the shipping costs... what set are you using now?

I wish I had a neighbour with your kind of mentality... my drumset's in my STOREROOM (the new HDB storerooms with thick concrete walls and a huge heavy metal door), I practice for at most 1.5 hrs a day when I'm free (which is rare, considering I have school and work), and I only practice in the afternoons... I got complains from a neighbour UPSTAIRS :S. My immediate neighbours below, next to, and opposite me tell me to go ahead beacuse they can't hear me playing at all.

hi there, and welcome to both SOFT and Singapore...!

I'll assume that your new house in Singapore will be a rented one, or do you currently own property in Singapore...? If you do own property, I'll also assume that it'll be a condominium (since you mentioned building).

First of all, if its a rented property, you'll be under a contract by your landlord stipulating the terms and conditions of your lease - basically if your neighbours do complain about your playing, you'll be at risk of violating the terms and conditions, and as a result, the contract.

Secondly, if its a condominium, chances are that you WILL receive complains about the noise level because its generally more compact in nature as compared to public housing :)

The law stipulates that your neighbours CAN lodge a report against your for drumming at home, and you can be liable to charges under the public nuisance act, but the police will usually not press charges against you because its not an easy task to prove that you're banging on your drums on purpose to cause nuisance to others. The norm is that representatives from the appropriate departments in the Housing and Development Board (HDB) and the Resident Committee will pay you a visit. Personally I've had complains before, but I've managed to come to a consensus between myself and the affected party - I'll only start practicing after 2pm, and I will not practice anytime after 7pm!

Should mediation fail, the only viable option I see fit would be either an electrical kit, or to use drum-mutes for your drumset.

Will your family be planning on residing in Singapore for a long period of time, or permanantly? If you're not planning on residing here for long, I wouldn't suggest that you ship your drumset over because of the hassle involved, but if you are, by all means!

Once again, welcome to Singapore and do bring more sun block!

we're moving for four years...
and we're moving to a building (my mom told me it's called condeminium)
we get a free delivery from my dad's work (they send us to singapore), so the delivery isn't a problem.. and I have mutes for my drums. so what you're saying is, that I can bring my drums? :)
if it's true, so, that's awsom, thank you for your answer :)

we're moving for four years...
and we're moving to a building (my mom told me it's called condeminium)
we get a free delivery from my dad's work (they send us to singapore), so the delivery isn't a problem.. and I have mutes for my drums. so what you're saying is, that I can bring my drums? :)
if it's true, so, that's awsom, thank you for your answer :)

Ah, a condo? Playing loud might be a problem, but nothing against owning a drumset. Check with your condo's own rules, they probably are stricter than most public housings and will want to evict you if you disturb the neighbours too much =P

...but I think in the middle of the day you can probably blast as loud as you want. Anyway, free delivery is awesome! (you're a lucky person!)

We really should try contacting Yamaha Japan for a special bulk order of the MyRoom II for local drummers :D

myroom2a.jpg

Link to original product page: http://www.yamaha.co.jp/product/avitecs/product/myroom2/index.html

English: http://www.markstechnologynews.com/2008/11/yamaha-myroom-ii-your-own-personal.html

Hi!!

start playing drum at very young age!still drumming up to today.mainly play drum as hobby!!but still get call to do studio drum recording & gigs.I like to use my weekend or holiday to design/build drum....mainly "Mini-drum-kits"...not for sale or $$ just for fun.......up to today I already got about 10 odd drum-kit(cocktail drum too).:-D

For me would be:

Started drumming around 13 years old.

Main influence definitely would be Benny Greb

Musical goals would be wanting to position myself in all sorts of musical situation playing the best I know how for audience!

Fav Cymbals would be Meinl and Zildjian!

Think end of the day my long term goal is to be able to be a drummer that gives what the audience wants and be able to play in a way that people will understand!

Do have a website at www.eck.sg , please do check it out!

Realized i haven't posted my welcoming speech up here.

Played the drums for 5 years. (inclusive of a not-so-productive first 4 years). Mainly a funk, soul, r&b, blues rock, and jazz drummer. Influences include Carter Beauford, Dennis Chambers, Steve Jordan, Brian Blade, Marcus Baylor, Rodney Holmes, Steve Ferrone, Stanton Moore, Will Kennedy and a few others.

My motto is "Less is More". I'm mainly a supporting drummer who grooves with the music and plays simply. My pockets aren't that deep yet (in both aspects) and i'm constantly trying to improve myself. My weaknesses are Latin, polyrhythms and metal/ hard rock.

I'm not a good drummer. Decent, yes.

That's about it.

Hello Everyone!
Finally i stumbled upon this forum! ive been looking for a drum forum for sometime now. My name is Brandon, Im 20 years old. I have been playing drums since Secondary School, so i suppose i started in 2002, 7 years of on and off drumming! I started playing after I joined my school military band (St. Patrick's School Military Band), and i was a percussionist there. Naturally, my interest in drumming grew, and right now, im raring to take my drumming further. ( since im going to ORD in 4 days and gonna have alot more time to myself! ) My favourite bands right now are Trivium, Children Of Bodom, Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, Sanctity, Krypteria, Nightwish, Atreyu, Catharsis, Static X, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Hammerfall and many more..I hope to find a band and improve my drumming skills in the short term ( i admit its abit rusty and there is alot of fine tuning to do), i want to master the double pedal properly, and in the long term i want to play in a band and enjoy drumming and playing music!! My muscial acheivements are just those won with the band in secondary school, winning two Gold With Honours in the SYF 2003, 2005. I havent got a favourite brand etc cos i havent been drumming for some time now, but now that im going to ORD im looking to pursue my interest! So if anyone is looking for a drummer for their band im game to give it a go! Cheers!! :)

Hi, am new here. :)

Well..

17 this year.
Had been wanting to take up drumming since i was 14.
But parents forbade.
Finally took up drumming and went for lessons this year in April.
Constantly wants to improve but my drum lessons are only once a week.
Half an hour lessons(OMG)

Fav bands are:
The GazettE and Simple Plan.
Listens to some Avenged Sevenfold, Green Day, other English and J Rock songs too.

Short Term Goal:
Save up money and get a drumset.

Long Term Goal:
Becoming a good drummer and playing in a good band as well.

Cheers :cool:

Where should I learn drums?

Hi, I'm 18 yrs old. I've just finished O's and I'm now waiting to enter poly. I want to take up drums, but i was wondering if Yamaha is the best way for me to go. I would prefer having a private class 'cause I believe group lessons won't be as effective. any ideas?

also new here...

Hi there,

my name is Jan, more or less fresh arrived here in Singapore (since Oct '09) just found your forum and had to register.
I'm already 30 years old, playing drums since i'm 10, was lucky that my parents supported me from the beginning. I had lessons for the first three years, after that tought myself and after another 3-4 years met a drummer / teacher who just returned from the PIT. Really learned a lot from him in the following years, not just technique, etc but groove and what's it abt tp play music with(!) a band.

my all-time favs are David Garibaldi (Tower of Power), Vinnie Colaiuta (especially the time with Sting), Manu Katche (div), Steve Gadd, Jeff Porcaro, Chad Smith and Ringo Starr (he started this whole thing...) and so many others...
My sister introduced me to A7X (The Rev - RIP), in my eyes he played very "refreshing", on a quite high level but always "for the song". Really talented guy, hope he will have a good time in the "big band" up there with Elvis, Hendrix and all the other great ones.

best grooves, would always name "50 ways to leave your lover" by Steve Gadd, "Rosanna" by Jeff Porcaro, "Soul Vaccination" + "What is hip"by David Garibaldi but those ones are more from "drummers pov", I love to hear a straight AC/DC-Beatles-Punk-4/4 as they just feat the song.

I played in bands since I'm 14, from Blues, Rock, Funk, Punk, D&B, was teaching as well for many years, did tons of live gigs + recordings.

My set (=fav drums) are Yamaha Recording Custom, Sonor snare drums, Sabian cymbals, dw pedals, sticks Vater "Fusion" + Regal Tip Jeff Porcaro Sig Model....toilet paper : no fav, alyways happy if something is available ! :)

Thanks for reading, would be nice to get in touch here with other maniacs. :)
cu
Jan

Hello guys!

I've been playing drums, self taught for 6years.
Played with many bands of different genres such as Punkrock, Ska, Rock 'n' Roll, Alternative Rock, Post Hardcore etc. I'm now a drummer for band called Seasonscape.
You can check us out on myspace: www.myspace.com/seasonscape
ps; The track on their myspace is not me on drums as they've just replaced their previous drummer with me

I was 10 when i had that urge to learn drums after seeing my elder cousin playing with such skill. I told him that i wanna be a good drummer one day just like him and he gave me a cold "aha, you wanna be a drummer? you?" reply which further burnt my passion to learn even more.

Started with pens(drumsticks) knocking on stacks of books of different heights(drumset). haha! Eventually played on a drumset at 12 and im 18 now :D

I was first influenced by Travis Barker(Transplants, AquaBats, Box Car Racer, Blink, +44) because besides his creativity, i find his musical background interesting and how brave a musician he is by tattooing his whole body so that he won't get a decent job.( I don't have one though :D)

I'm also influenced by Tony Royster Jr, Thomas Lang, Tre Cool(Green Day), Adrian Young(No Doubt), Ringo Starr(The Beatles), Jimmy Sullivan(A7X), Aaron Gillespie(Underoath) Alex Rodriguez(Saosin), Riley Breckenridge(Thrice), Dominic Howard(MUSE), Zak Starkey(The Who, OASIS), Chad Smith(Red Hot Chilli Peppers) etc etc.

I can't identify a favorite groove, its just too many! Maybe..... The verse part during Voices by Saosin? I love that, and many more grooves that sounds challenging :D

As a drummer like any other drummers, i hope to be known out there by fellow musicians in our homeland Singapore.
I'd love to have drum collaborations with our local drummers as i've never had one before. and maybe get signed/endorsed by a good drum company out there too! :D

So far i've yet to have any achievements. still young and kicking, long road ahead for me so.... slow and steady!

I dig Drums by DW, Yamaha, Gretsch, Tama.
Cymbals by Zildjian, Sabian.
Drumsticks by Zildjian, Vater, Carlos 5Bs.
Paramore posters as toilet paper.

Last edited:
Hi all! I've only started playing for like, 6 months? And yeah. I'm finally getting my 1st electronic drumset on thursday. It's a Roland TD4KX. I'm new to this website so, yeah hi.

"RLRR LRLL!"

hello to all drummers in soft!

its really nice to meet people with the same interest :)
i've only started playing drums recently and am currently learning from a friend.
guess i still have long way to go~ :D

Ardy here,

-No. of years I've been playing - 8 Years
-How I got started - Listenin' to Metallica, Lars Ulrich got me into drummin'
-Favourite drummers/bands/influences - Lars Ulrich, George Kollias, Hans Grossman, Derek Roddy, Buddy Rich, Paul Bostaph & Marco Minnemann
-Favourite groove - Not sure about it, i do loads of blast beats. I like incorporating all kinda grooves.
-Musical goals - Long termgoal..hopefully my band will be as big as Nile..Haha
-Musical achievements - My previous band was featured in Live! Magazine
-Favourite drum/cymbal/stick - Pearl Masters Premium, Zildjian & Sabians, Vic Firth 7A

Hey everyone! Such a nice thread to welcome all drummers! Ok i'll introduce myself and hope to chat with other drummers too!

- ive been playing for 8 years now
- i started a band so i picked up the bass instead but after a few months i found out that i love drumming more than anything else!
- fav drummers are DAVE GROHL & ATOM WILLARD
- goals are being in a serious band and do shows and stuff like most bands do
- achievements, cant remember much but i did open a school event with drum solo and the rest were just great local/overseas shows
- favourite drum are mostly tama. yamahas are great too! i wanna have ocdp though!
- favourite cymbals are paiste pst 5 sets. they are GREAT!!!
- favourite sticks are Vater Power 5A. long enough for reaches and enough power!
- toilet paper.. i dont have any yet hah!
- besides drumming i like to ride my bike around :)

currently doing some studio work. hopefully i can bring it up on myspace to share with you all!

heh. hi

just got my kit about 3 weeks ago and im 15. im practically a beginner haha.

i listen to all sorts of music, from beatles to muse to metallica to pearl jam :)
i think neil peart is currently my fav drummer. i just love his awesome solos and creativity !

fav groove? hmm, none at the moment :p

well i just wanna learn all the important stuff and i do hope that a few years down the road, i would be able to have my own unique style :)

hmmm. i currrently using a ludwig cs custom birch kit with sabian brass sbr's :) they sound quite okay.

well thats all. at least for now. anyone know of a good drum school thats not too expensive ? hahas thnx

Hello Gang!

My name is mizzarli...when do i started to play drum..well it start when i start listen to thrash metal,heavy metal,hardcore and more street punx drum...guess it will be 28 years i been listen to this heavy music and the drum beat keep playing in my drum and my blood keep boiling to play drum...and i remember one of my fren said to me...u been listen to thrash metal all your life and u dun drum...tat is nothing...so from tat onwards i start to seek teacher to teach drum but did'nt get it :(....so have to postpond...but one day i saw this jamming studio at j3...i always there..and i try to play drum in fornt my fren...they said u got talent to play drum y not u go learn...i said wokay...then i start to go gig and learn their stoke...and slowly i learn....and upon tat i get to noe one of my band member drummber from local thrash metal band thy fallen kingdom...he teach me alot of thing of two...i did go for lessons and it only 3 lessons and i get it...for me i learn by my ear...and apply to my pactise pad...tat is my tips and go jamming and learn from your mistake

My fav drummer mostly all the thrash metal drummer and myself
My fav brand vater and i love the stick..and now using gibralter avenger double pedal and it lovelovelovelovelovelovelove g8..
My short term goal is to buy my own drumset ddrum
My long term goal is to play drum everday and promote my band and i also a composer of a band

Back