The Official Drummer "Welcome" Thread

Hi there,
I've started drumming back in '83, i did not have any formal drum lessons but i've learned by watching other drummers play.
My drumming inflences-all the '70s heavy metal drummers but now my fav drummer is Tomas Haake because of his awesome odd time signature.:twisted:

Alrite here it goes...

I have been playing for 2 years plus.

I have always been interested in the drums, played guitar previously bu sucked big time so one fine day I just decided to give it a try...and no turning back ever since

The drummer who made me pick up the sticks...John Bonham, other influences are Nicko Mcbrain, Dave Grohl, Dave Lombardo, Billy Cobham, Danny Carrey, Jimmy Chamberlain, Chad Smith...

My goal would always to be a better drummer than yesterday...and to be able to play different genres, styles and to be versertile.

No musical achievements...if I can still play drums tomorrow...it is blessing and I feel grateful for it...

Favourite drums....no preference/no preference/ Vic Firth / Sandpaper!!!

hello this is my first post haha..
joined this forum coz thr r so many fellow drummers here too n lots of really useful info ..like abt drummin in a hdb apartment..
anyway i hav been drumming for like 1 year now.. juz bought a kit abt a month ago... tama imperial star(the budget sch holiday promo 1) n solar cymbals set + bought an extra zildjian A custom crash
fav sticks- vic firth
mostly influenced by trash metal..altho i also listen to other sutff
fav drummers-lars ulrich,joey jordison,daniel erlandsson,ian paice,moose thomas...

Hope to cont drumming even in the future n hopefully i wont get too many complaints frm my meighbours ..hey i havnt even got my double bass pedal yet hahaha!!!

hey all peeps with magic sticks (amazing for a girl to have magic sticks as well =DD)

okay let's skip the horny jokes.
i'm new here but i'm 18, i'm into many instruments,
now i'm a drummer, started in p4, just random hits like a n00b on the drumset
after a while the sense of rhythm came, i started playing for fun whenever it was break time at my school band room. wasn't a drummer, trumpeter actually, but after a while i loved the drums. always thought teh coolest guy in teh band is teh drummar. haha.

well.
i'm defintely rustier than your old iron stuffs at home.
i've been very inconsistent for many months now, been 2 years since i had the chance to drum regularly since i've graduated from secondary school.
continued and got better at it, learnt everything by ear. then started studying rudiments n stuff etc, different genres. i must say i've never done jazz properly, so its quite a challenge. i know it takes the feeling...i've played jazz n latin stuff on wind instruments and yeah its fun and different than any other genre. like, it's got it's own soul.
let me think...the last time i jammed was 3 months ago, and the last before that was 6 months ago. i think i only jammed 2x this year, several months apart.

But once I get my new project complete and ready to run i'm gonna start drumming again.

I don't have a kit, cuz i dont have the space nor the money to get one.

favourite cymbals: zildjians forever. gotta love playing with the fire. but i prefer paiste splash cymbals, and sabian rock crashes. other cymbals, zildjians are the way to go for me.
drum shells, pearl or dw drums, skins meinl or evans, sticks: ZILDJIANS ONLY. =X i'm biased on sticks, i don't know why. =X. I gotta totally fall in love with another stick to make me change my mind.

favourite drummers were said in the other thread, favourite drummers.

jeff campitelli - joe satriani,
mike portnoy - dream theater,
lars ulrich - metallica,
teh rev - a7x,
Jeremy Colson - Steve Vai.

LRRL RLLR! (mutantdiddles xP)

i want to be a decent drummer who can teach basic skills, know the rudiments, play nicely with a band.....etcetc...no big goals. just be the best that i can be. i got a life elsewhere...haha...this is a passion ah.
no musical achievements. School bands are prety much an informal musical education thingy....but to me the paper doesn't matter, it's the talent and the will.

favourite groove eyh.
gotta be triplet flams and paradiddles.
something from the drumlines added into rock drumming.
don't know what to say but hmm.
it just comes to me, what i like to play.

oh, i like Kleenex. =3

Hi all,

Happen to browse this forum in detail and so much stuffs i have missed out.

My name is Bryan and I have played the drums for some time.

My influences are Dave Weckl, Dennis Chambers, Carter Beauford, Steve Hass and Vinnie colaiuta.

Personal Favourite Local Drummers are Tama, Robert Nalin, Wen, Boon Gee and Fairoz.

Cheers!

Hi all I'm new here! more about myself.

-No. of years you've been playing- Hmm. Just a year
-How you got started- I got started when my friend wanted to form a small band with people coaching us.
-Favourite bands- I seems to get high on linkin park
-Musical achievements- I have a Piano grade four.
-Favourite drum- pearl forum(i wanna buy one!) Stick-zildjian -cymbal zildjian

Hiya people!!!

Hiya people, I am Dug mcleod, star wars Sith fanatic, and disciple of the drum. I have been playing 25 years, and love 80's kits, notably Tama Granstar and Artstar kits, and Pearl efforts from the same era. I have just completed the first phase of my latest project, codenamed DarkStar, primarily a Tama Granstar, but customised in matt black, with all black racking (four Pearl dr-80 racks, modified to be taller (renamed the DarkTower) finished off with all black Paiste cymbals, and remo ebony's/pinstripes. This kit has been all over drum forums worldwide, and was featured in the UK drummers mag Rhythm. Now I am adding to the set, more drums, and surprises. I am on the Hunt for more paiste visions black cymbals, so if anyone call help me, then get in touch. It is great to be here, I am gonna have a look around and find my feet

All the best,
Dug

ps- my kit is here-

http://www.pearldrummersforum.com/showthread.php?t=206912

... I am on the Hunt for more paiste visions black cymbals, so if anyone call help me, then get in touch. It is great to be here, I am gonna have a look around and find my feet

Nice "big" kit :)

The last time I was a Swee Lee Sims Drive, I remember seeing those old black visions lying around. Since Swee Lee is no longer a Paiste carrier, those must have been real old. But I believe it is still there and it is probably a pair of 14" hats, if I am not wrong.

Call them (67933533) to find out first. Asmat is probably the guy to ask for this. If not - Ranking/Music Theme may have some old stock since I think those are already a discontinued line.

Quite new to this forum, never introduced myself cos i didn't see this thread till now.

I'm Ben, 19 this year, complete noob in drumming.
Intending to put loads of effort into learning drums, wanna jam with a band one day, hopefully I'm not too old to join one -.-

Interest in drums sparked cos I got bored of guitar, plus i wasn't improving for really long le.
I played guitars for 2 years, self taught and I only progressed for 6 months.
The rest of the 3/2 years no improvement in skill, just kept playing the same few songs over and over for friends or when i got emo or bored...
Surprisingly, I forgot most of those songs...

Fav drummer and guitarist: Dave grohl, cos i'm a Nirvana and Foo Fighters fan.

Still schooling now, therefore am very poor XD
Feel free to sell me stuff cheap :p

Last edited:
ni hao!

Name: Jonah Caling

I've been a drummer since i was 15 years old and by year 2000
(professionally) onwards...

I started playing drums in high school... it was grunge days and glam rock era.. since then, i cant stop my self listening to different music.. i started listening to rock music like metallica, meshuggah, tool, alice in chains (jerry cantrel rocks man!), pearl jam, live, Days of the new, STP (any oldschool baby!) and dream theater... Man, 90's rocks!!!...
and after that, as my music grow and encountered more music, i incorporate jazz music and funk,,, and i discovered gospel music/chops (black drummers from different churches) , since im a christian, i want to glorify God and share music to everyone..

I'm a proud drummer because: in all the things God has
given to me I'm a greatful person through small things to
penny. i love music so much that my heart is filled with wild
mornings.

Drums… means so much to me. rotates 360 degrees. God
put me in this position.. It’s my gift that I must use to touch
peoples lives. To see true color, the shade of redden. To
cultivate the birthright of being a moral fiber, to proliferate
the grandeur of the drum… the palpitate of the heart, the
clannish of the ancient and drench the raw ears with
gratifying melody … This is what I want and at the end of it,
still I’ll be as what I’ve become… There’s no turning back
because I have no doubt of what I have. Just the river, the
metamorphosis, the photosynthesis of my becoming. My life
is not that fancy or glamorous nor goldy. My life depends on
how Jesus will mold me, draw me...
He's able.

My favorite musical style/s: funk, soul, jazz, gospel and
groove music...

My favorite drummer/s: Eric moore II, Ronald Bruner jr.,
Aaron Spears, Doobie & Billy Powell, Gerald Heyward,
Third III, Justin Brown, Jerome Flood II,
Thomas Pridgen, Tony Royster Jr., Benjie Mendez (pinoy)
and my first Influence... Akira Jimbo.

My musical influence/s: Incognito, D'sound, Carribean jazz
project, Pauline Wilson with Seawind, Workshy, Head
hunters, Tower of power, Erykah Badu, Jill Scott, Israel and
New breed, Kirk Franklin, Jay Durias, Dream Theater...

I played drums for: Luke Mejares (1 album and shows), Sofia (2 albums, 3 MTV and shows), Guji Lorenzana (1 album 1 MTV and shows), Aliya Parks Kayla, and many artist from the Philippines...

My favorite things are Pearl drums, Zildjian cymbals, Gator cases and Vic firth drumsticks

Last edited:
Sup to all drummer! :D My name.. call me Gx will do haha(too shy say my name out yea) hahaha well started drumming like one or two years ago so im not that good yea and i dont have much exposure well mayb my chance are not here yet yea hahaha Fan Of Linkin Park ALWAYS!well currently drummer that influence me the most Is Matt Flynn drummer of maroon 5.

buRpiE !! started playing on tin cans when I was 5 and dad got me my first acoustic set when I was 12.. funny brand called Lucky Star... didn't take any formal lessons as there weren;t many of those drum tutors those days... sold off the set when I got married (no, I am not hen-pecked) but been jamming at studios and performed in our own band (Sovereign) at gigs in NUS (university hops) in the lecture theatres as well as the open canteen area near the central library (not open anymore), also did gigs in army camps during my NS, all for free. The best gig Sovereign did was to be the resident dance band at CJC (catholic junior college) back in... er... 1977.. LIVE on stage with teenagers dancing to "Shake Your Booty" (KC n the Sunshine Band) and the rest...

ha ha, so now you know how old I am...

Lived without a drum kit for decades, survived at studios (there was once when Swee Lee rented out 2 studios for jamming) and a friend's place - he has a Pearl Vision set up in his living room; he's a bassist...

Chanced upon a second-hand Yamaha DTXreme, the "equivalent" of the highest-end Roland TD-20 and had it for about 2 years before finding a second-hand Roland TD-20 on yahoo auction... been playing on the Roland for 3 years... had a Pearl Eliminator double-bass pedal and sold it off cos I couldn't master it, then decided I still wanna master it so I have a Tama non-Iron Cobra double-bass pedal... but somehow, playing on the v-drums does not give the real drum-drum player relationship.. I can effortless do a thud on the bass drum without effort... not real at all..

Took lessons from Jimmy Lee and convinced myself that I need to return to the real acoustic drum kit for the real thing!! Life is short so...

Sold off my Roland TD-20 kit recently, bundled with the Roland PM-30 (don't really like the sound, not so real in the end... but the Roland is really good over headphones)... really hated the "took took" sound when hitting the hi-hat and ride...

Just got myself a Tama Superstar Custom with Paise Signature cymbals and gosh, it rocks!! Love playing even at low volume and realise how much of my life I have wasted in between my Lucky Star and my new Tama... oh well, better late than never!!

To all the young, budding drummers out there... here are my life experience tips for you:

- Learn the right way from start - read notes and learn from a drum tutor
- Invest in an acoustic set, not in an electronic drum kit... totally different feel and response
- Don't sell off your acoustic drum kit when you get married.. instaed, take the kit into consideration when you're looking for your matrimonial home... if it's a part of you, it deserves a space in the home...

hi guys. I'm not much of a drummer but recently I've been drumming quite a bit. Been drumming for bout a year by now. Derek Grant from Alkaline Trio has got to be one of my main influences. I don't plan to be a drummer. Just doing this for fun (I'm actually a guitarist/vocalist) I picked up drumming from playing too much Rock Band. Nowadays i practice on a custom E-drum kit my dad built from a Lazer practice drum set hooked up to an Alesis D4. I use Lazer sticks btw. Currently in search of other drum sticks. Well I guess that's it:mrgreen:

RLRR LRLL~ XD
(bleh, to be frank i hate doing paradiddles, i either have problems with my speed or with my clarity! ><)

ehhh anyway, im a aspiring j-rock drummer here. been interested in playing drums for coming a year or two, but i have only like, 5-7 months of not even actual practise. thats coz my folks don't take too kindly to me 'making that banging noise(coz i ain't got a drum set, so i practise rudiments on my textbooks! XP)' or else i go to the arcade to play the drumming game, drummania. and frankly, i think its getting me nowhere, coz the drum is not positioned to what im comfortable with, and i rely on the auto bass function a little too much (ok, actually i rely on it WAY too much).

In any case, one of my main objectives is to see whats the average age people actually start having an interest (coz a friend of mine once told me im a bit late to be practising, and that the successful people started early. i don't believe in that, but i must say it unerved me a little) so i hope i can receive the guidances of the people around here, and hopefully improve, and find some people to jam with after my Os, and by then, hopefully i've improved! ^^

In any case, my dream is to actually be in a serious band, be it in Singapore or Japan, and through our music, pump up a person, liberate them from anything that is holding them back from rocking out and being themselves, inspire people, so that they will be inspired to do the same for the next generation, and so on. i really hope to be a important part of such a phenomenon. Damn, what i wouldn't do or give to bring my dream to reality!

I don't really have preferences or a favourite drum/stick/toiletpaper brand. i just go with whats good. and i got influcened by the drummer of the band, L'arc~en~ciel, yukihiro! ^^

Ok, enough of the loooong intro, i look forward to meeting some good musicians to jam with, and hope that the people here can give me your guidance! That's all! :D

*drum rolls*

hello peeps! joined chinese orchestra when i was sec 1 and joined percussion :D lucky there was a drumset in CO and started playing it in sec 2..started going serious during sec 3 and i'm j1 now :)

genres i listen to are metal (a7x, cob, cof, slipknot...) and other bands such as i am ghost, the used

fav drummers are the rev(a7x), jaska(children of bodom), thomas lang (ownage pedals!!!), buddy rich and jojo mayer

went jamming a few times with my friend but cant manage to play any metal songs as i dont have any chances to practise double pedalling T T

favourite brands are tama and pearl. cymbals zildjian since the drumset in CO uses tama and zildjian. condition is really poor though :(

still learning in yamaha now though...trying to get my first drumset :D and my double pedals

hello

well.. it's kinda weird to just start writing when I don't know anybidy here but ok...
my name is neta, I play for like two years (maybe a little less), right now I live in israel but I'm moving to singapore in two monthes so I decided to look for drumers in singapore (I didn't thought there will be some but I guess I was wrong :O)
And I have a question.. I never lived in a building, just in privte house.. so i was wondering... can i bring my drum kit to the new house in singapore? i have an acoustic kit and some people told me that its not allowed in singapore or somthing.... but they're not living there so... is it fine to cring my kit?
and also.. do you have recommendation for a place to learn?
I'm leaving for four years (!!!) and i'll have to keep progress :p
and of course, if anyone needs a drummer, send me a massege :):) (i'm a girl)
(and i'm 14)

[QUOTE=neta

hi there, and welcome to both SOFT and Singapore...!

I'll assume that your new house in Singapore will be a rented one, or do you currently own property in Singapore...? If you do own property, I'll also assume that it'll be a condominium (since you mentioned building).

First of all, if its a rented property, you'll be under a contract by your landlord stipulating the terms and conditions of your lease - basically if your neighbours do complain about your playing, you'll be at risk of violating the terms and conditions, and as a result, the contract.

Secondly, if its a condominium, chances are that you WILL receive complains about the noise level because its generally more compact in nature as compared to public housing :)

The law stipulates that your neighbours CAN lodge a report against your for drumming at home, and you can be liable to charges under the public nuisance act, but the police will usually not press charges against you because its not an easy task to prove that you're banging on your drums on purpose to cause nuisance to others. The norm is that representatives from the appropriate departments in the Housing and Development Board (HDB) and the Resident Committee will pay you a visit. Personally I've had complains before, but I've managed to come to a consensus between myself and the affected party - I'll only start practicing after 2pm, and I will not practice anytime after 7pm!

Should mediation fail, the only viable option I see fit would be either an electrical kit, or to use drum-mutes for your drumset.

Will your family be planning on residing in Singapore for a long period of time, or permanantly? If you're not planning on residing here for long, I wouldn't suggest that you ship your drumset over because of the hassle involved, but if you are, by all means!

Once again, welcome to Singapore and do bring more sun block!

There shouldn't be much issues with drumming at home, just make sure you're a responsible neighbour- don't drum late into the night and so on. If all else fails, get your drumset muted.

Anyway, it might be cheaper to sell your drumset, except the cymbals and snares and other stuff you like, then ship only those over. Then, when you come here, buy a new set. Otherwise, you'll have to manage the shipping costs... what set are you using now?

Back