The Official Drummer "Welcome" Thread

Hi guys. I've been properly playing drums for about 1.5-2 years. First time I tried playing drums was in 2000 (I was p3 then) at my uncle's house in australia then yeah signed up at yamaha for a month's lesson in p6. Then funnily my ever random mother went to learn drums and bought a not very good set (Still use it, some weird brand called maxtone). So I just practiced lousily and started lessons again at yamaha in late 05. Still learning now under Anthony Fong.

I used to like Travis Barker a lot, now I don't really have any fav drummer but I like Travis, Portnoy, Weckl, Lang, Buddy Rich haha. Don't have a fav band either but I listen to jazz, blink182, dream theater largely.

I'm doing my O's now - Next goals are to start playing double bass and improve in jazz playing. I'm don't really know much about jazz in general but I do like it. I generally want to be a versatile drummer but less interested in all the brazilian, cuban stuff like samba and what not.

I'm rather biased towards Zildjian, and I like DW and Mapex for sets. There is this set in yamaha plaza sing ... Oak Custom I think that looks really sexy to me haha. Prefer thinner sticks - using Zildjian Jazz and Vater Manhattan 7As.

I don't exactly have a band because I got no vocalist and bassist friends. I play drums in church...Yup thanks for the welcoming :)

breaking the membrane silence!!

alright.. another newbie out here.. hi.. nice to meet u all.. =]

i've just started out seriously jus a couple of months back.. about april-may.. ya..

how i actually got started

i fell in love with blink 182, sum41, yellowcard and green day back in my primary sch days (around 200x).. yeap.. was fascinated by the sounds that how a few round stuff wit some plastic and those pieces of metals can actually produce such nice sounds.. got more influenced when i saw stomp and wicked aura in my secondary sch days.. jrock played a part as well in the upper sec days.. and now im getting an overload of metal (yay!)

Favourite drummers/bands/influences
LP from yellowcard really got me..

Favourite groove (if you can identify one, tab it out if you must)
i always loved tis classic "bom cha bom, bom cha bom bom cha"

Musical goals (what you hope to achieve musically, short-term, long-term)
short term - be able to play in a band
long term - bring fame to singapore drummers!! (if tt's even possible by me) xD

Musical achievements
i can play the drums but i cant read scores for nuts!! (does it count? xD)

fav drum/cymbal/stick
non for the 1st 2 yet.. anything tt sound nice goes i guess.. sticks??? havent played around alot wit sticks yet so its pro mark & zildjian 5A nylon tips for now.. =)

toiletpaper?? anything tt doesnt giv abrasion to my precious impt hole

n hi again! =]

- About a year and a half
- joined symphonic band, got shafted to percussion, touched the drumset after a few months, decided to dedicate to it :O
- Jojo Mayer, Akira Jimbo, Gene Krupa
- Funk groove!
- Hope to teach next time + perform for living
- Grade 8 piano merit, grade 5 jazz piano distinction
- Probably Vater or Tama for stick. Like Zildjian cymbals. Don't use toilet paper. Just kidding.

I'm possibly going to start becoming active because a) i want to experience the singapore music scene by being more involved with gigs and the like and b) i want to tap on expertise to elevate my playing to pro level, as well as c) i've decided that i should take some direction and action with my ambition; i'd like to make my presence known.

No. of years you've been playing : roughly 5 years maybe (12+ to 17+)
-How you got started : me and my friend found a drumset somewhere in our primary school, both played it every week. generally self taught all the way
-Favourite drummers : TONNES. But my true favs are mike portnoy and tony royster jr
-Favourite groove : for some reason i LOVE the drum groove in the song "Chris and Kelvin's Excellent Adventure" by liquid tension experiment. SUPER smoooooooth..
-Musical goals :
Short term - Become better, play well for my band
Mid term - become even better, upgrade my drums after an influx of bling
long term - become the greatest!!! muahahaha. or at least good enough to be recognised easily

-Musical achievements : played piano as a kid so i went pretty far with theory..
-No particular fav drum yet, love the paragon ride, zildjian 7a anti-vibes sticks and that toilet paper with purple-ish designs on the cover wrapping. huggies isit

guess i'll post mine too...

bio:
-> played for 1 year ++
-> got interested in drumming after listening to some music. when at concerts, always looked at the drummer
-> started drumming at the age of 16 (kind of late i admit)
-> started learning drumming cuz a friend taunted me for "air drumming" to some rock music
-> did not have family support or monetary support, so had to learn on my own, and fish stuff off the internet and learn the hard way.
-> sat behind my first drumset when i was in sec 3, during a random jamming studio. enhanced my interest to drums. (after that got plenty of chance to sit behind one already, but have to pay $$$, cuz its in the studio T.T)
-> changed genres i was listening to and stuff like that quite often, until i settled for J-ENT stuff
-> got into a band and went with them to a gig in july, then i left. i did go back to them for a while after that, but i still left.
-> now co-managing a band with my "da jie", and still learning as i go.

others:

plays mostly: jrock, power jap metal, jpunk, death metal, black metal, thrash metal

influences from: Girugamesh (power jap metal), Janne Da Arc (jrock/city rock/metal), HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR (jrock), Asian Kung Fu Generation (jpunk), Ellegarden (jpunk), Do As Infinity (jrock), Metal Safari (power jap metal), Dir en Grey (varies), other various death metal, black metal and thrash metal bands, maybe like Nile, Slayer, System of a Down, Old Man's Child, Einherjer, Slipknot

favourite drummers: Ryo, Shinya, Kiyoshi Ijichi, Hirotaka Takahashi, Akira Jimbo, Joey Jordison, George Kollias,

favourite drum equips: none atm, but sabian crashes FTW~

goals: keep on improving, keep on experimenting, keep getting better, and be known

Last edited:
Hello.

Hi guys, I'm new here. :)

-I'm a 15 year old this year and have learnt drumming (Self-taught) for a year now.
-I started drumming as i found love in drums. COOL RIGHT DRUMS !! :mrgreen:
Started learning when I got inspired by one of my favourite drummers of all time, Jimmy Sullivan (a7x). Inspire to be like the man.
-Favourite bands. Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet For My Valentine, Children Of Bodom, Arch Enemy, Silverstein, Alesana, Blink 182, The Used, Scary Kids Scaring Kids. Many more actually.
-Favourite drummers. Daniel Erlandson(Arch Enemy), Eugene Hoglan(Dark Enemy), Derrek Roddy, Travis Barker(Plus 44), Buddy Rich, Dave Weckl.
-Influences. The Rev.
-Likes Grindcore and Blast Beats.
-Hope to be a known, if not, respectable drummer.
-In a band now. Drummer, of course.
-Using Vic Firth 5As, no drum kits for the moment.
-Pleased to meet you all. Honoured to know more drummers in Singapore.
-Willing to make new friends in this forum. :D

Hi there, everyone.....

Though I'm lurking around this forum for ages, I never seem to post anything till recent times. Here's a brief intro of myself.

-No. of years you've been playing:

Hmmm..... Since my school days. Should be around 18 years, if not wrong. There's on and off in between.

-How you got started:

I started playing in my school's military band, that is Bedok View Military Band. I think it's now call Bedok View Symphony Band liao.

-Favourite drummers/bands/influences:

Can say mix and match. Drummers like Buddy Rich, Steve Smith, Dave Weckl, Steve Gadd, Terry Bozzio, Joe Morello, Tommy Lee, Peter Erskine, Tama Goh, Rick Allen and Bands like Def Leppard, Dream Theatre, Bon Jovi, Deep Purple, White Lion, Steelheart, Metallica, Firehouse, Mr. Big, Guns N Roses and many more. (Guess I'm a old time rocker liao. :( )

-Favourite groove:

Nothing fix as I just play to the music. From Rock to Jazz to Swing to Latin to Waltz to Bolero to Samba to Cha Cha to Tango .......

-Musical goals:

To bring out a new eras of drummers and outshine the old ones. :mrgreen: Just kidding. Well, my goals now is to pass on my knowledge and in hope the new generation will glorify the drumming industry of Singapore.

To improve myself further. I can say that I'm still in search for improvement..... though I don't consider myself a full time drummer.

-Musical achievements:

Honors in music performance
Cert in Conducting
Music Theory
Public performance
Conduct a local school band in public performance locally as well as overseas

-Favourite drum/cymbal/stick/toiletpaper brand:

Tama (Drumset), Zildjian (Cymbals), Vic Firth (Drumstick), DW (Drumset), Paiste (Cymbals), Sabian (Cymbals), Ludwig (Timpani), LP (Percussion Accessories), Yamaha (Bass Drum, Xylophone)

Whatever goes lah:

Glad to know that there's so many new future brightstar in Singapore. Bring glory of Singapore to the world stage.

re: Sound..

hi..

i've been playing for bout 2 years now(collectively)..

I started out playing seriously after hearing Nirvana's Nevermind album..

Favourite drummers?
1) Dave Grohl from Nirvana
2) Morgan Rose from Sevendust
3) Adam Morgan from Hopesfall
4) Joey Jordison from Slipknot

the above mentioned drummers possess various skills that i truly admire and hope to emulate..

Hope to explore indepth musically, with a current band that im in, comprising of Zul and Ajay, both who are members of this forum. We're looking for a bassist though..

I learn by ear mostly. i like going for local gigs alone. its nice seeing drummers playin well.

the two local drummers that have stunned me with their playing style are from Trella and Firebrands respectively.

Sometimes, it appears to me that it doesn't really matter when a drummer plays well. cos he's either not appreciated by his band members, he gets kicked out by the band or his band members simply compare his playing style to that of an international band's drummer and conclude that their current drummer is crappy.

since this kind of band members make it sound so easy to play the drums, they should get behind the kit and try it for themselves.

Such band members deserve to be shot.

i've been seeing alot of hype about the drum exchange. wld like to come down to see what actually goes on in this exchanges.

Krist..

hi Krist,

welcome and hope you enjoy hanging out here.

interestingly, i started jamming in bands when i first heard nirvana nevermind album in 1991 too.

i was only playing drums and percussion in the school brass & military band before that.

the next drum xchange will be 17th november (sat) at the ulu pandan cc wind symphony room. there's a thread at the ' How-to Drums' section of this forum.

feel free to join in, and also the various on-line discussions.

see you around! :D

Please join us in our comming 17th November 2007 Meetup (that's next week) - it will be an interesting and exciting afternoon.

PS: - Guess I will Put This Thread Up As Sticky.....(Good Thread By Bro Weckl)

Eric

Hi all
Hi tim!

How I started:
I've been playing drums for bout 9 years now. I picked it up from a friend and subsequently went to yamaha (Back when it was still in Suntec). I trained under Anthony too! Got afew other teachers along the way after that

Favorite Drummers:
I used to listen to RadioHead and Cranberries when I was starting out. I later got hooked to Carter Beauford (Dave Matthews), but my favourite drummer of ALL time HAS to be Vinnie Colaiuta (When he was playing for Zappa, and even more so now!). Lately tho I've been listening intentively to Ari Hoenig and Roy Haynes!

Favorite Groove:
Small Jazz band ensembles all the way!

Goals:
To not play drums but to make music. wAAHHHhhh

Musical Ahievements:
Had a band once and played in afew small time bars

My Kit:
Although its not much, I'm very proud of my kit.
Pearl Rhythm Traveller
zildjian k Constantinople 22" Med Thin High Ride (My absolute love!)
Pearl 15" Masters Custom Snare

i thought u were derong after reading the entire message and ur kit. haha. then i went back to the top and saw "hi tim". heh

hi everyone!

i don't post often, so here goes,

been drumming since i was like sec 3/ sec 4, (2003?)

learnt classical piano, till grade 3.
1st started trying to play for church, then just wanted to lern more and more. took some lessons, took a break cause army is a bitch, switched to open hand when i picked it up again, as i couldn't rewire my brain to lead fills wit my right hand.. hha

my main influences include cater beauford, dominic howard (muse), pearl jam, tokyo jihen, and recently, the drummers from matisyhu and jason mraz, to name a few.

i love the groove from #41 (DMB) Himitsu (tokyo jihen) and personally, i love to fiddle with triplets in my grooves.

Musical achievements: erm, grade 3 piano?

i would love to use a yamaha stage custom, would like to get more turkish cymbals, 13-inch hats classic series, just started buying stuff, so still looking ard. i love tama jap oak sticks and promark lightning rods.

yeah, haha hi all!
=)

Last edited:
hey forum peeps(=

Got to know this place from some other drummer friends, yea... and i think it's really cool to have such a forum for musicians. hmm, been learning for about 4+ years. play most of the time for Church and certain school events. haha, been wanting to get more exposure by watching more gigs.

fav drummers DAVE WECKL,JOJO MAYER,BENNY GREB. yep, these three are at the top of my youtube list. favourite tune must be ' the chicken' by Dave weckl's band.

fav part of the drumset would be the quite recent( perhaps getting old liao) meinl trashhat. and most fav genre's funk.

yep so hope to know more drummers from this site(=

Intro

I've been playing for ... 1 month =)

Ask me how I started. I remember that I was msging my friend, she said she was going to her guitar lessons soon. So I commented that I want drum lessons. She told me to go get drum lessons. Then I told her my parents Don't allow.

Then she said 'Most drummers are self taught anyways. haha' That very afternoon, I went down to Yamaha to get my first pair of sticks. I came home, went on to YouTube and started playing to Green Day songs.

I practiced 1 hour or 2 a day since, but now I'm going to work on my basics.

My favourite drummer is Tre Cool. Yeah, my inspiration. He plays very clean strokes, and he has a very simple setup

My goals are to play at gigs and school concert, and to play like Tre Cool himself

My favourite sticks to date are the Tre Cool Artist Series from Zildjian.

Yeah. I missed the drum xchange ytd. When's the next one

Hey ryuxdragonx, welcome to the drummers family! Our next meetup will be in March. Stay tuned to the How-To-Drums section. We announce the meetups there.

Meanwhile, our very own drummers from SOFT Drum Xchange Singapore will be having a little performance on 23rd Feb. Thread here:
http://soft.com.sg/forum/showthread.php?t=49173

Enjoy drumming! :D

hello, my name is melvin, yes, melvin. haha how boring..

-No. of years you've been playing
lots of years but i still suck.. let me think.. percussion as a whole, ard 10 years. but for drumset, ard 7 years la.

-How you got started (yes, tell the whole story, no matter how short/long)
wow.. since pri 2, well i started off with classical percussion (in a brass band), i.e. accessories, timpani, mallet percussion and all, only started playing behind e drumset seriously ard pri 5 and 6 when my dad intro-ed me to the beatles, led zep and deep purple. self taught all e way until around 2 months ago when i decided to go for formal drum lessons.

yes. no led zeppelin, acdc, and all e old 70s bands, no me.

-Favourite drummers/bands/influences
john bonham (led zeppelin), chad smith (rhcp), brad wilk (ratm), david garibaldi (TOP), ian paice (deep purple), dave grohl (nirvana).

i really like rage against the machine alot. haha n i love funk drums! funky grooves get the girls! haha. but my roots are still with led zep! most of my drumming styles are somewhat bonham-inspired. and i love jazz/latin.. these are the drummers that "wow" me e most. AND GRUNGE!! GRUNGE, garage bands, i.e. the strokes.. i love garage bands!! ah heck. i like everything drums. and my influences are kinda versatile. as long as it sounds good, i'll like it.

-Favourite groove
mostly latin stuff. the grooves are hot.

-Musical goals (what you hope to achieve musically, short-term, long-term)
be a better drummer everyday, and play in bars/clubs/pubs at night, maybe become a drum teacher? who knows?

-Musical achievements
ABRSM music theory grade 6
classical piano grade 4
drums grade -99

-Favourite drum/cymbal/stick/toiletpaper brand
i like yamaha stage customs. they are consistent. always chance upon yamaha drums for gigs.
cymbal-wise, i like paiste/meinl.
sticks, vater 7As or 5As.

and i use stock toilet paper. so if u wanna hammer my toilet paper or do rivets on it go ahead. :)

Back