The essence of Jazz

Indigo_blues

I picked up a book from the library recently about Jazz and i finally understand what this particular genre is all about. In one word, its Improvisation! The heart and soul of Jazz is improvisation.

Once I understood this concept, listening to jazz takes on a whole new meaning. Once what was 'rubbish' to me became very dynamic and interesting. :D

Welcome to the world of Jazz music :) been listening to jazz music when I was in my teens , always been fascinated by all the aqoustic jazz trio as they have the best grooves

I donno why, but I like only few Jazz instrumentals ( sax, drums guitar etc) mostly smooth jazz....but the ones with vocal jazz looks strange to me ...i mean i cannot feel that it is natural........excuse me jazz fans, this is just my opinion on jazz music...once i heard some instrumental with sax....the player was playing as if he is going to blow away the instrument....it was too irritating....can't understand what so fun in it...I actually like SAX for its CRAZY feel....(like the one used in DIDI song of Khaled Ali)....but in many Jazz songs I think they make it sound irritating

lol ... that's exactly what the mass feels about how guitar shredding sounds like ... why dont u go get a perfect pitch ear training, learn more about harmony or even how saxophone and vocal works. U will hear jazz in a new light and be able to appreciate the technicality and phrasing of the playing. Not only that u will be able to appreciate other kinds of "alternative" genre like traditional music as well. U will be able to expand ur view on music and enjoy it fully.

or if u feel all that is too much of a hassle, just get the same book indigo_blues has

yeah, go pick up a book on what jazz is all about.. ahh, can't remember the title now.. but it was written by a new yorker who is a lawyer by day but a jazz afficionado by nite..

Jazz is all about improvisation.. thats why there are so called 'jazz standards', songs on which improvisations can be made and have become made many times in the past, and which have become sort of like the 'standard' towards which all new jazz artists are measured against.. even simple songs can be played in 'jazz' style, meaning that the song is improvised as the musicians go along.. its really not about a set of chords or a certain sound.. its really all about how well the band improvises together on a certain set of chords or melody.

So jazz is dynamic in the sense that when there is a new kid on the scene, people will want to check out how well he/she improvises on both old and new stuff.. that's what makes it fun, exciting and fresh..

:)

yes I agree....few things can be enjyed more the more u know abt them...but no patience to read any books...hehe..but already learning concepts of harmony as that will be of more use for me now....iam even working on perfect pitch training....but just wonder how knowledge of perfect pitch is going to make me feel jazz music good....donot suggest me to read any books for knwing that ...i cant do it now...explain only if it s simple enough to be explained...ne way at some point of time...i will have to know theory behind jazz also

keep continue that path man. having a perfect pitch and knowing more about harmony enables u to know what exactly the soloist is playing ... Soon u will get it 8) ... maybe in few years ... it takes time ... but dont give up ... Jazz is an interesting genres to learn cos there's just always something to learn no matter how good you are. Just drop me a pm if u wanna learn more about jazz

Nice thread... :D

I remembered about 10 years ago, I walked pass a CD shop as I was captivated by the song playing in the shop. I love the music and I was swinging to it unknowingly. Along the way, I noticed that I like pop songs better if it sounded more "different". Not sure what was the difference I was looking for.

Many years later, my piano teacher told me that thats jazz. The difference I was looking for is improvisation. Jazzed up pop, rock, swing, fusion, japanese jazz, etc. Haha...got hooked ever since. ;)

Back