The AWARE saga

i totally agree...all hell breaks loose,then they catfight and after all that,they go for a manicure at the nearest beauty parlour..;)

i totally agree...all hell breaks loose,then they catfight and after all that,they go for a manicure at the nearest beauty parlour..;)

this is very sexist. the kind of stuff they'd stand up against if they weren't squabbling amongst themselves

well..they are fighting now..so we`ll leave it at that..let them do whatever they wanna do..it does not affect me:)

I honestly think that the media is blowing this way too out of proportion. Okay, so there's a change of exco cause old exco got too complacent and thought they were immune, but they weren't. So new exco changes and the members suddenly realise they aren't sure whether a change in exco will benefit them and so they suddenly rebel when in the first place its their fault for not ensuring that the old exco stays on, and they cry father and mother in an attempt to bring down the new exco.

PLEASE. This is so lame

it wasnt much of complacency. The issues came from the different in ideas between old and new guard towards the direction which the organisation were going, introducing men into the association, pro lebsian stand and some other issues.

anyway, theres long article in today's today on the issues involved. The pro gay/lesbian issues seem to be a bigger issue than complacency which resulted in the power struggle.

the old guard was caught un-AWARE by its inclusive policy....a coup was done and the new guard is always AWAR-Y of the new "environment" it has created....hehehe

so must be aware...be very aware...

the irony of the whole thing is the new guard usurped to power thru back door entry....and the old guard was accused of being pro-gay....

It's all about lesbianism

The CORE issue here is about LESBIANISM, the rest about refocusing and new directions are just sidetracking hogwash, justifications and excuses. Isn't it a coincidence this "takeover" happened only after AWARE reached out to the lesbian community? Also isn't it too much of a coincidence that the new "backdoor entry" exco members belong to the same church and all have the same strong religious conviction against homosexuality?

From a neutral standpoint, what we are seeing here is people forcing their religious beliefs onto others. Obviously when the old AWARE reaches out to lesbians, it is because lesbians belong to a group of women who are to a certain extent discriminated by the society and governmental policies. And it is NOT because the organisation is pro-lesbians or trying to promote lesbianism. In fact, why on earth would AWARE want to do that for? However, good intentions or not, such move doesn't seem to cut it with the "new guard" who likes to take the higher moral, religious and self-righteous ground.

The longer it drags on, the more childish they all look. It's amusing how they unintentionally exhibit the stereotypical, weak-willed, squabbling image of women when they're expected to represent them as a whole.

I pity them.

+1 to visa. I couldn't agree more.

Even those I've spoke to who also share the same anti-gay sediments also agreed that they're making a mountain over an anthill. There are more pressing issues pertaining to women then compared to the pro/anti-lesbian issue now they are constantly bickering about. Settle the more pressing issues then move on to the less important ones la!

Hilarious thread. Someone should show this to the squabbling members, might show them just how silly they make themselves and the fairer sex seem.

hilarious thread, shows how little these posters know about the current saga.

probably reinforces stereotypes of the long-haired, ignorant musician who can recite deep purple's discography backwards in 6 different languages but don't know who Stalin is.

probably reinforces stereotypes of the long-haired, ignorant musician who can recite deep purple's discography backwards in 6 different languages but don't know who Stalin is.

wahaha i agree :D~

Stalin_1902.jpg

Lol women. Whats new. Agree with Vaiyen and Visa haha. Still love women nonetheless, they possess the most beautiful thing in the world, just the thought of it now..ahh..

I figured someone will come and bring out this topic back to life sooner or later. Sheesh, can we just let it die?

It's not that we know little about the current saga. May I challenge you now, to tell me EVERYTHING you know about this saga? From exactly the first time the new exco had been voted in all the way to last night's meeting?

I think most of us prefer to just ignore it. To me, the whole saga had not been about "championing women's rights" at all, neither has it been an issue of "gay/lesbians stuff, etc.". It has been a saga of power struggle.

Trace back to the history. Aware was formed as an organisation to champion women's rights and ensure there is little gender discrimination in Singapore. I won't say no gender discrimination because there will always be discrimination and all of us are guilty.
But that's besides the point.
The whole agenda of Aware, from the first day it was created, was to ensure that women's rights were as equal as possible to the men's and ensure there is as little gender discrimination as possible.

Now why do I call this a mere "power-play"? Because, instead of letting the new exco run the show and let them show what they can do, the old exco have been trying to harass the new exco. Accusations, arguments, fly faster and deadlier than American nuclear missles. Practically, everyday the papers report something about Aware, and an old exco has to chip in something to put more salt on the wounds.

Its like, oh for crying out loud, what exactly is wrong here? I find that the antics of the old exco have nothing but an attempt (quite succesful as of last night) to seize back control of the organisation.
Considering last night's meeting was barely done in a proper fashion, sometimes I wonder what exactly is Aware up to.

I would just like the new old exco to please settle this matter, and get back to work. There are more important, pressing issues then bickering about minor minor things

Back