Singaporeans and Perth

liverpool is kind of a rough neighbourhood. i buy lot of my shisha stuff in lekemba, bankstown auburn area. can't say i like sydney. its alright. mel is damn nice though, but soooo cooooool

All Chinese are referred to as "Chinks" in Aussie.

Maybe they are just trying to uplift their own disposition by bringing others down. They are mostly the descendants of British criminals after all. It is in their blood.

What??? that was a very blatant and inconsiderate remark you've made .you have created animiousity amongst races and beliefs. you are a very pathetic ignorant person. have you ever been close with arabs or talked to them personally mate? have you been to their houses? dine with them? attend their functions, worked and played soccer with them? NO. so dont be saying those hateful remarks.

Most arabs are kind and considerate. they are very warm, friendly and hospitable people. especially those from kebab shops, butchers, convenience stores and more. through my personal experience, its all been good. only those young arabs brought up in the modern way nowdays, influenced by western culture are corrupted and have no moral values. just like MOST of alll young and upcoming adults in our time now from EVERY race.

yes i do think they are flirtatious like ALL men of ALL races. do not blame and judge the whole lot just because one or two black sheeps spoiling the whole image of arabs. you are being selfish and disrespectful. they've come to australia to seek a better life. freedom is the right of every individual.

i reckon you are not aa educated person. Globalisation is taking place. everyone is marrying of a different race. the world is becoming one. so please racism and people like you can tip the f*&K OUT.

and now conservative howard's no longer in power. i welcome the new pm rudd. hes gonna make progressive positive changes tha will benefit Australia.

Insane fellow...

What??? that was a very blatant and inconsiderate remark you've made .you have created animiousity amongst races and beliefs. you are a very pathetic ignorant person. have you ever been close with arabs or talked to them personally mate? have you been to their houses? dine with them? attend their functions, worked and played soccer with them? NO. so dont be saying those hateful remarks.

Most arabs are kind and considerate. they are very warm, friendly and hospitable people. especially those from kebab shops, butchers, convenience stores and more. through my personal experience, its all been good. only those young arabs brought up in the modern way nowdays, influenced by western culture are corrupted and have no moral values. just like MOST of alll young and upcoming adults in our time now from EVERY race.

yes i do think they are flirtatious like ALL men of ALL races. do not blame and judge the whole lot just because one or two black sheeps spoiling the whole image of arabs. you are being selfish and disrespectful. they've come to australia to seek a better life. freedom is the right of every individual.

i reckon you are not aa educated person. Globalisation is taking place. everyone is marrying of a different race. the world is becoming one. so please racism and people like you can tip the f*&K OUT.

and now conservative howard's no longer in power. i welcome the new pm rudd. hes gonna make progressive positive changes tha will benefit Australia.

Mind your language first... I worked in Middle East for 3 years and returned back an year ago...

If you lived in Middle East, probably you know how Asians are treated...you insane fellow... Sitting inside mud pot or in front of computer typing stupid comments doesn't make you smart...

I am a victim of atrocities by Arabs in Middle east... don't talk like a smart ... as if you know everything... No one welcome these people here...:mad:

we live in a country with out natural resources.... but we have the humanity, care for others and service oriented... how many mid-eastern countries have that... they always "howlian" that we beg them for oil ???:confused:

Whenever, I took a taxi in Perth, the cabbies who are particularly mid-eastern people start preaching about the religion... I have to tell them to shut-up... why they need to do this in Australia ?? who wants this ??

See "Ang-moh" cab drivers there... far better..... :)

Singapore cabbies..far..far.. better....:)

PM me or face me direct...

Why do you all say perth is boring? Its slow paced.. But i think its the right pace! LOL

What does melbourne and sydney offer ? In WA is just a laid back 'country' kinda thing going on.. People go to wineries to have sunday lunch with their family.. etc.

I feel more comfortable there than here.. Less mofos chasing you ard to do things.. And the govt doesnt adversely interfere with peoples lives.
However food is more expensive than i am used to here.. Say bye to $2.50 nasi lemak.

Last edited:
I came from perth - was working in the club industry over there, its seriously more vibrant than most think. There is a very healthy underground scene too with warehouse raves, bush doofs and bands truly have to "tour" to play more than one city.

Hi all, will be going to melbourne prob end of this yr / start of next year to work and perhaps do my masters or some professional qualification. have been working in sg a couple of years at a pretty fast pace and most of my contacts there have told me that life there is less hectic so i'll (finally) have some buffer time :)

so... I'm also a bass player (~10 yrs) and considering teaching or gigging part time, more for the love of music than the need for pocket money (no family so shd be able to support myself ok). would someone care to cue me in on what teaching / gigging is like in melbourne? (ie what are the hourly rates there, any big music schools, hows it like finding work as a musician, is live music popular, is the music standard really high etc).

thanks so much :)

Last edited:
Haha damn the last post is what I'm going to be doing in about 5 years or so :S

But yeah, I'm thinking of studying Music/Audio Engineering in Australia somewhere, is Perth a good place to start / Any recommendations?

Most of my Family (on my Da's side) lives in Sydney but I think we're going to be moving out West instead. But then, who knows, we're moving in about 5 years so yeh.

Also, does anyone know good courses to take... ideally I want to be a Musician who does Mixing/Engineering and such.

Ta in advance, and Merry Chrissy! =D

I went to Perth 2 months ago.
But to me it wasnt like Perth,it was like Singapore.
I see asians everywhere.
But overall the weather there is lovely but the shops there close
earlier than in Singapore.

1800gb
xx

I'm about to head to Perth to study and live, probably 6 years or more.

so i just wanna know the racist situation over there right now-

izzit common?
how do i deal with racist actions? (like being insulted and all)
what do i do if i get into a tough situation? (like getting cornered in a street)
do i need to take martial arts classes?

Haha okay that disregard that last point.

Also to ask, is there a forum like SOFT but for for online musicians over there?

I'm about to head to Perth to study and live, probably 6 years or more.

so i just wanna know the racist situation over there right now-

izzit common?
how do i deal with racist actions? (like being insulted and all)
what do i do if i get into a tough situation? (like getting cornered in a street)
do i need to take martial arts classes?

Haha okay that disregard that last point.

Also to ask, is there a forum like SOFT but for for online musicians over there?

i dont think so.
Perth is like a place where you can relax unlike melbourne/sydney where you go there for an holiday.

Perth= Family life
unlike singapore,the shops there close early so theres no reason for you to go home late.lol

I'm just wondering, becuase i've met so many Singaporeans that have studied in Perth, why they go to Perth. whats so good about it? I've never been there myself and my friends say its boring.

So why Perth?

Why not Sydney or Melbourne

Perth is great for studying. No distractions, no life, boring city; virtually dead. Most shops starts closing at 5pm! =\ Rent is much cheaper compared to the bigger livelier cities too (but still really expensive none-the-less and rising due to inflation rates here). Public transport infrastructure is poor (whether its in Perth, Melbourne or Sydney), and expensive. Cab can cost you $30 or even $80 or even more depending on where you go, since everywhere is so far away and the rates are high. Overall, life is generally more relaxed, but you'll start missing the more exciting urban city life after awhile.

People are also generally a lot friendlier in Perth compared to Sydney base on my personal experiences.

Cost of living in Australia, in general, is actually substantially higher compared to Singapore and even to America! Food costs 2-3 times as much, etc. and I'm not even factoring in the exchange rate (so you better learn to cook). Nothing is free in Australia (if you think $ingapore is bad) - You've even gotta pay for your packets of Ketchup at fast food places -- no free chillie/curry/bbq/sweet-sour sauce avail at McDonalds to go with your Chicken nuggets. :p And their limited fast food chains generally taste crappy in comparison to the ones we have in SG. Hungry Jacks (i.e. BK) dun have Mushroom Swiss or Randang burger. :( haha No MosBurger, or Yoshinoya. Food over here labelled as Extra Hot or "Super Spicy" are actually 'mild'. haha

Perth is comparatively "safer" than the larger cities simply because the population is so sparse and spread out. Even so, its advisable not to go out by yourself too late. Still lots of muggings and thefts, especially around my Uni. :( My Aussie friend told me that there are just so many that they just can't be bothered to report it anymore.

My bicycle got stolen at my uni (lock smashed), and the bicycle-lights a couple of times too when I forget to remove them from my bike. Two of friends' had their car window smashed and ransacked, laptop stolen from home, and countless mugging incidents. My Korean friend was mugged and lost his assignments (his 3 months of hard work..lol)!!! Even in Perth there was an incident where a poor Indian girl got beaten up really badly near where I study. Another aussie mate was attacked in another mugging while waiting for his cab at night, and had his head smashed really badly, almost to the point of death, two years back. Part of his skull has to be removed due to excessive swelling. The two culprits only got 2 years sentence (they weren't even sorry)! Its a good thing that guns are banned here.

I've consider making myself a Taser, but my friend informed me that its illegal here.

Racism isn't a problem around the university area. But me and some other Asian students still experienced random harassments like being thrown water at by a passing car filled with drunk screaming idiots while waiting for our bus at the bus-stop, or retards showing us the middle finger yelling racial slurs as they drive by. While cycling home, a group of "bogans" made silly Chinese and Japanese sounding gibberish at me. My cousin and his friends got threaten by some guy with a baseball bat yelling for him to "go home" (i.e. get lost back to Singapore, etc).

But I guess it depends on your neighbourhood, and where you're in Perth. Don't go out after the shop closes, and avoid the train stations at night. But regardless its "still" safer than the bigger cities. ;)

Many drivers likes to speed and do dangerous fast turns, and tailgate, etc and don't slow down at the zebra-crossings too. So you've gotta be more careful when driving or cycling around. Temperature's crazy in summers. Freaking 45degC!!!

I've stayed mainly because my supervisor offered me an irresistible research project and scholarship to keep me here. :D

Last edited:
Singapore Crime in Comparison

Interesting to read JunAd's experience in Perth.
What I have seen and heard in Singapore (in comparison) in the past few years:
1) My good friend was walking towards her Bukit Batok block of flats, got pushed from behind, knocked unconscious and chipped her tooth badly, and leaving her with a black eye, while her handbag got stolen.
2) When I was at NUS, an NTU student broke into my student hostel, stole all the bras and panties from the girls' clothes line, and then fell down the Kent Ridge ravine to his death.
3) My hostel neighbour had his room broken into while he was having a shower - wallet was stolen.
4) My friend got peeped at while having her shower in the NUS hostel.
5) Came within metres of a group of guys with blood on their heads and faces, after a gang fight near Clarke Quay. This happened during daylight hours!
6) My work colleague's friend got abducted, thrown into a passing van and gang-raped while waiting for her SBS bus outside Beauty World at night.
7) My good friend was given a spiked drink while clubbing, taken somewhere deserted while she was unconscious and raped - she got Chlamydia from the rapist and needed treatment.
8) I saw a drunk guy punch a woman in the stomach and to the ground, at the bus stop outside AMK MRT station, just because she was standing his way while he rushed towards a bus. I went to the woman's aid but in retrospect, should have gone for the guy instead - he ran up the bus and it took off. This was peak hour so it was crowded but everyone else just looked on mindlessly, did not lend a hand at all.
9) My cousin and girlfriend were held up at by a man wielding a knife in an Orchard Road carpark after they had finished shopping.
10) While I was waiting for a cab outside a hawker centre at night, saw a speeding driver crash into a just-parked Merc (who was legally parked on the side of the road), taking the entire passenger door off and then speeding off. The driver missed the family (had a pram and young children) by seconds as they were just unloading the boot area.
11) My Shimano bicycle got stolen - the lock was broken/fiddled with.
12) My dad's prized singing China Thrush got stolen (was hanging in the common corridor just outside the flat).

Last edited:
Back