Refinishing your drumset! (getting an awesome natural finish DIY)

I'm not too sure yet. Gonna see what I can do with the metal. I'm just thinking if it'll be worth the bother.

Gonna put the hardware on it, photo, and then photoshop it sooner or later and give it a try.

I tried putting it together to test the looks.

P5160670.jpg

After seeing this, I think I'll be keeping the hardware this way!

please share how you planned to redo the hardware, even if you're not planning to do it anymore?

Would love some ideas, especially on the rims and lugs.

please share how you planned to redo the hardware, even if you're not planning to do it anymore?

Would love some ideas, especially on the rims and lugs.

What I had in mind was good quality spraypaint, then a thin layer of good spray-on lacquer to protect it from flaking. In any case, I won't be hitting the hardware on the toms much, unlike rimshots with snare, so it shouldn't be so much of an issue.

Another thing I want to try is the special texture sprays that I saw at some DIY shops. Maybe on my next project, I have some ideas on what I want to work on.........

P5170672.jpg

All ready for a coat of poly!

It's worrying me, though, I suspect my poly is slightly tinted.... might tint the colour slightly.

P5170673.jpg

It looked this green too when I applied the dye, but when it dried off, it was teal-ish blue. Maybe when the poly dries it'll be different.

I'll find out tomorrow morning, when it dries... but I'm not feeling too confident about this.

But one interesting thing I noticed is that when I looked at it straight on, it appears green, but at an angle it appears blu-ish. This would be pretty nice in the final product.

@ahball- =O don't say can liao! xP

Last edited:
yeah, u tell me ur b'dae then i dun say :p
anyway, is like my fighting fish like tat, looks green, then blue at an angle.
then tat fish is turquoise colour i tink. so maybe urs is too xD it's cool

Dude it's starting to look gorgeous man! Maybe I should pay you to do that to my stagestars...looks damn nice.Even glossier...even nicer..ha

Back