Refinishing your drumset! (getting an awesome natural finish DIY)

@Shaox: Nice work! Hahaha yeah I hate sanding. Dyeing was fast for me since I did a simple colour. Anyway, I found a way to do fade from dye to natural, by sanding off. By applying more dye (assuming it hasn't saturated yet) you can get a gradient.

For Jeeper's drums, what if a filler or something is used first as a base? Like sand it really smooth, use filler, then paint over...

@Jeepers: On PDF there's a thread in the uni section on doing glitter finish. Apparently it's really difficult and time consuming. Also, I'm going to be wrapping my spare Pearl Target snare with some fabric that I'm getting. I'll post it once I actually get the fabric and work on it. This one is for practice, if it works well I'll try it on a higher end snare to use as my main snare.

I've seen a lot of people rewrap with all sorts of things. I've seen wallpapers, even checkered cloth and stuff.

The easiest way would be to get something to wrap the drums in. Just be creative, it can be anything like what threadstarter said. Could be wrapping paper, tablecloth etc..

The idea of physically using paint is not impossible, but it would be very very hard. I would imagine using maybe acrylic paint and apply a thick layer, or multiple layers. On top of that, you would want to sand it down. This sanding wouldn't be possible to do manually and you'd need a professional sanding block. Theres a lot of work involved.. best leave it to the professionals haha.

The easiest way would be to get something to wrap the drums in. Just be creative, it can be anything like what threadstarter said. Could be wrapping paper, tablecloth etc..

The idea of physically using paint is not impossible, but it would be very very hard. I would imagine using maybe acrylic paint and apply a thick layer, or multiple layers. On top of that, you would want to sand it down. This sanding wouldn't be possible to do manually and you'd need a professional sanding block. Theres a lot of work involved.. best leave it to the professionals haha.

I've a friend who may have some extra leopard-fur-print cloth >D planning to use that! It'll look so =O =O =O

Have you seen Tama's limited edition furry drums, that time they were promoting it online. I always wanted one since then lol.

One time I saw a drumset in LV wrap like a handbag LOL.

Hahahaha yeah I wouldn't dare to try paint too. Plus I think the wood grain is nicer. Or can have sparkle wood grain. Like cover the wood grain with a thin layer of silver so it's silvery-woody, then add sparkles!

haha i made a thread about buying wraps....

homefix sells wood finished type wraps... maybe u can find exotic print wood finish there.. try ur luck!

anyways, im going to refinish my drums in time soon too.. shall not reveal the intended color/pattern*hinthint* just wait for my post here and show ur kit thread! hahas...

probably by months end when i have the moolahs for this project.

till then, stay tuned!!!

Just to share - - - I’ve a friend, who tore out his Old-1982 (Japan Made) Yamaha 5 Series Kit – and did a Re-Wrap (using Marina White colour Wrap), and also change all the lugs of the Kit. The Wraps & Lugs were all bought from the same place I don’t know where he got it from. But seriously - - The Wraps are of average quality (the way I see it) and it’s not cheap (as he told me) but there are alot of different Wraps you can choose from (he has the sample with him). But – Yes he did a great job (as he is a very creative guy)

When the entire job was finished – The Kit does look good (But he did not drill hole to put the Yamaha Batch back onto the Kit) – I guess it’s ok here – cause the lugs are all changed to small little tiny lugs – doesn’t look like a Yamaha already now.

However - - I saw the kit when it was half-way done. When he tore the old-Wrap from the Yamaha out - - the shell looks ugly because the wood shell is not smooth as the glue is so strong Yamaha is using (the wood are like splits here and there) - - That’s where I believed - - one need to sand paper the Shell now – but I believed that you will have to sand away at least another (2mm) of the shell if you want the whole thing to look good.

I guess this is the difficult part too - where Composer Of Requiems gave a very useful hint - Use HAIRDRYER to heat the Glue 1st. If anyone is contemplating to use Wraps (to reWrap the Kit) - - this is a tedious job too - - (the cutting of the Wraps and Pasting it to the Shell - it's not an easy job) - my friend was complaining like hell here.

So the shell will become thinner – will it somehow affect the sound? – a little maybe – anyway it’s ok – some people love Thin-Shell, they sound nice too.

Last edited:
To Varnish a Kit - I was thinking if the shell could be Spray-Paint then Oven Bake it - - - - - Like those Paint-Work done for cars ? I believe it can be done - and it will look good...real good.

I used to play those Radio-Control Petrol C-Class BMT or Serpent Racing 1/8 Scale Models.....and I remember I had Spray paint the Cover (which is actually a Thin Plastic Mould in a Racing Car Shape)....The paint that everyone uses is - The Hobby Paint but it doesn't look as good as the one - (when I was still with Toyota that time) that I took it to the Oven-Bake Spray Painting Shop and spray the Cover and Bake it of course - - - - It was simply Beautiful.lllllllllly done- like the works of a real car be it in Metallic colour or whatever colours

PS: - The Result from after Spay & Oven Baking it shines like a Car - you polish it and the refection is not like a mirror but when you smile at it you will be able to see your teeths, you can see yourself like a mirror at the drums, good reflection - the kit is really very reflective...like a car.

Last edited:
To Varnish a Kit - I was thinking if the shell could be Spray-Paint then Oven Bake it - - - - - Like those Paint-Work done for cars ? I believe it can be done - and it will look good...real good.

I used to play those Radio-Control Petrol C-Class BMT or Serpent Racing 1/8 Scale Models.....and I remember I had Spray paint the Cover (which is actually a Thin Plastic Mould in a Racing Car Shape)....The paint that everyone uses is - The Hobby Paint but it doesn't look as good as the one - (when I was still with Toyota that time) that I took it to the Oven-Bake Spray Painting Shop and spray the Cover and Bake it of course - - - - It was simply Beautiful.lllllllllly done- like the works of a real car be it in Metallic colour or whatever colours

PS: - The Result from after Spay & Oven Baking it shines like a Car - you polish it and the refection is not like a mirror but when you smile at it you will be able to see your teeths, you can see yourself like a mirror at the drums, good reflection - the kit is really very reflective...like a car.

Powdercoated ah? I always thought that the shell can't take the heat... I've seen it done for the metal hardware though. I would not dare to try it on my kit.

Powdercoated ah? I always thought that the shell can't take the heat... I've seen it done for the metal hardware though. I would not dare to try it on my kit.

Is that call PowerCoated, I dont know...Maybe not Bro.

Cars need a high-Class Kinda Shine (so that it will look damn good), and the paints are Special in a way and upon Baking in the Big-Vehicle Oven in most PaintShop - - - Wow.wwww Phew.www - Like a Brand New Car and once Polish Up - The luster of a Lexus as in Toyota. (I mean I got it done for Free there - as I work there previously) and am still dealing with them today as a customer but not under Toyota Payroll liao.

Anway, I believed that the Shell can definitely take the Heat from the Oven-Bake, because (my example of the Radio Control Car Mould is Plastic and it’s not the very thick Type) - - - I took a Risk to try that – and the Plastic never Melts (It’s the same kind of Plastic-Body you find in those Kyosho Plastic Radio Control or Helicopters Model) – If these Plastic can withstand the heat from the Oven, I’m sure a Drum shell can too here.

Maybe oneday, I will go down to Toyota Body and Paint Shop or those Vehicle-W/Shops I know (a few of them the Bigger ones like Ricardo etc) to ask them to do a Tom Tom for me – and see what’s the outcome (when I am free).

Last edited:
Is that call PowerCoated, I dont know...Maybe not Bro.

Cars need a high-Class Kinda Shine (so that it will look damn good), and the paints are Special in a way and upon Baking in the Big-Vehicle Oven in most PaintShop - - - Wow.wwww Phew.www - Like a Brand New Car and once Polish Up - The luster of a Lexus as in Toyota. (I mean I got it done for Free there - as I work there previously) and am still dealing with them today as a customer but not under Toyota Payroll liao.

Anway, I believed that the Shell can definitely take the Heat from the Oven-Bake, because (my example of the Radio Control Car Mould is Plastic and it’s not the very thick Type) - - - I took a Risk to try that – and the Plastic never Melts (It’s the same kind of Plastic-Body you find in those Kyosho Plastic Radio Control or Helicopters Model) – If these Plastic can withstand the heat from the Oven, I’m sure a Drum shell can too here.

Maybe oneday, I will go down to Toyota Body and Paint Shop or those Vehicle-W/Shops I know (a few of them the Bigger ones like Ricardo etc) to ask them to do a Tom Tom for me – and see what’s the outcome (when I am free).
If the thing is like powder that you put on it, then you bake it, then is powdercoat. I'm not sure what kind you're using.

I'm not scared of it melting... I'm scared that the wood will expand and maybe crack. Haha if you have an extra tom then can always experiment. Should be interesting! But wait it affect the sound =X

If the thing is like powder that you put on it, then you bake it, then is powdercoat. I'm not sure what kind you're using.

No It's not Powder, it's Car Paint hehehehe......yalah wait expand then explode then fire sparks up - then burn down the whole Oven Bake Room cascading to the entire Body & Paint shop burn down - - I kenna chailat ...hehehehe Joking here...Yeah should Try it out I've some S$10.00 toms....hahahaha just try and see -= but I will make it in colour the entire tom (inside and outside) .... oneday.

You know Helmi from Swee Lee - He has a Drum that he Re-Wrap it in Leather (Black In Colour) - the kit is still with him today pretty nice.......yeah it works too.

Last time I tell Helmi - Hot-Stamp it lah: put "Genuine High Quality Leather" - and stamp the Brand - "Louis Vuitton - LV " on it or "JPG" whatever lah .... Whahahahha ! he look at me like wanna kill me like that....whahahaha.

No It's not Powder, it's Car Paint hehehehe......yalah wait expand then explode then fire sparks up - then burn down the whole Oven Bake Room cascading to the entire Body & Paint shop burn down - - I kenna chailat ...hehehehe Joking here...Yeah should Try it out I've some S$10.00 toms....hahahaha just try and see -= but I will make it in colour the entire tom (inside and outside) .... oneday.

Won't that affect the bearing edge?

You know Helmi from Swee Lee - He has a Drum that he Re-Wrap it in Leather (Black In Colour) - the kit is still with him today pretty nice.......yeah it works too.

Last time I tell Helmi - Hot-Stamp it lah: put "Genuine High Quality Leather" - and stamp the Brand - "Louis Vuitton - LV " on it or "JPG" whatever lah .... Whahahahha ! he look at me like wanna kill me like that....whahahaha.

I saw one angmoh on PDF with a GIANT set in leather... like giant is really giant until surrounded 360 degrees by drums and percussion...

bt wad if my drums are already the stain type...i mean not the wrap finish....

then hw to re-do the drums sei??

Very difficult because of the lacquer already on it. Well, you can paint or wrap around it, or you can slowly remove the lacquer. That one is very risky, I would advise you to get it professionally done.

Next to impossible to redo your drums. You need to sand everything off, and that could mean taking as much as half to one whole ply of wood off your drum shells.

From my understanding, drum lacquer is painted on in thin layers and left to dry. In between layers, it is buffed. This may be repeated many times (20-30+ or even more). It's very time consuming and you need to have the proper equipment.

HHHMMM.....nvm then.... Have some idea already bt duno when wanna start my Project 'X' ......

However, i went to Art Friend at bras basah juz nw.....n my fren say they kind of expensive place to shop for DIY stuff....bt being said that, they have everything there....so thats y they charge more la.....

Nonetheless, im still goin to do my Project 'X' soon....hopefully my DnT experience is goin to help ALOT in this project 'X'..... :)

HHHMMM.....nvm then.... Have some idea already bt duno when wanna start my Project 'X' ......

However, i went to Art Friend at bras basah juz nw.....n my fren say they kind of expensive place to shop for DIY stuff....bt being said that, they have everything there....so thats y they charge more la.....

Nonetheless, im still goin to do my Project 'X' soon....hopefully my DnT experience is goin to help ALOT in this project 'X'..... :)

You should also look around the rest of bras pasah... a lot of the time I was going to get something from art friend. Then lucky I go look elsewhere and can find cheaper.

Back