Pickups for Downtuned Guitars

RazrAsh

Yes, like the title says, i need pickup recommendations for a guitar in D standard tuning.

i want tightness, clarity and decent tone. any recommendations??

btw, its for playing power metal, and i'm using an alder bodied V.

current string gauge 10-46. do recommend a change of string gauge if necessary guys.

Cheers! :)

actually, there's no need for special pickups for downtuned guitars.

check this out... i have a few baritones and they're tuned to B. all of them uses standard regular pickups from Bill Lawrence and GFS, so the regular "knowledge" base on pickups available on the net applies. A Bill Lawrence L500XL and L500L is tight, clear, high output and can sometimes be unforgiving.

most important thing for downtuning is string gauge as lifele55 mentioned.

Try a set of 12's or 13's to see which one fits better. However the heavier you go, you'd need to setup your trussrod and correct the bridge saddles intonation/string height.

yes, passive pickups works as well. i kinda like how the actives propel single note definition under high drive settings.

Yes, like the title says, i need pickup recommendations for a guitar in D standard tuning.

i want tightness, clarity and decent tone. any recommendations??

btw, its for playing power metal, and i'm using an alder bodied V.

current string gauge 10-46. do recommend a change of string gauge if necessary guys.

Cheers! :)

If you believe the marketing hype:rolleyes:, then the DiMarzio D Sonic is the way to go... According to John Petrucci...:mrgreen:

Then again, I had this pup, but I use standard tuning. Maybe that's why it didn't sound right...:mrgreen:

If you believe the marketing hype:rolleyes:, then the DiMarzio D Sonic is the way to go... According to John Petrucci...:mrgreen:

Then again, I had this pup, but I use standard tuning. Maybe that's why it didn't sound right...:mrgreen:

did you installed it correctly? if im not wrong for downtuning the solid bar is near the bridge. for normal tunings its the opposite.

Dude... Try re-stringing your V with 52-10s or thicker variations. It's the cheaper alternative as compared to pickup changes, which may not always yield desirable results.

did you installed it correctly? if im not wrong for downtuning the solid bar is near the bridge. for normal tunings its the opposite.

Not really. Solid bar at bridge or neck position is a matter of tone. Not related to tuning. The JP guitars come with the pick up installed in the recommended position. JP uses the 6 string with the bar facing the neck, and it's still down tuned.

IMHO, if money is no object, get a Bareknuckle Warpig (ceramic). I have one and it owns everything else I've tried.

If you're going active, get Seymour Duncan Livewires, they are somewhat better than EMGs.

you mean the packaging is clean? hur hur hur.... i jest bro subbie bro... i jest!! :mrgreen:

There are pups specially designed for low tunings where the mids are enhanced to compansate flabby lows, especially for the neck....
Stan Hinesley's Drop Zone
"Specifically designed for drop tuning, our Drop Zone humbucker provides clarity and balls in one awesome package! One coil is wound for articulation and the other is wound for drive so you get the best of both worlds. Very tight and focused, even on the lower strings. The Drop Zone features a high quality ceramic magnet coupled to 12 steel slug pole pieces. The Drop Zone also includes the necessary mounting screws, springs and wiring instructions. Great for either position, optimized for the neck. "
*DC resistance = 12k ohm. Ceramic.

....... is a good choice to consider.

:cool:

pick ups for downtuned guitars?

dude...you don't NEED pick ups for down tuned guitars, YOU need to change to a heavier gauge set of srings to increase mass & tension.

now subbie is pickin on aquanut! hur hur hur... :mrgreen:

btw bro aquanut bro.... your ex fernandez retro rocket now sports a WD Music Deep Six baritone neck tuned to B.

DCHUGGA DCHUGGA WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! :mrgreen:

i'm not picking on anyone, just my nose when no one's looking...
nosepick.jpg

hur hur hur.... now where is the thread starter?

anyways, i got a bunch of GHS Boomers DYM .013 .017 .026 .036 .044 .056 that I may wanna let go soon. who's up for it? MIGHT have some tiny bit of rust on the plain strings. MIGHT.

Discovered Elixirs baritone set and I prefer their heavier 6th strings on "shorter" scale baritone necks.

Back