Pay to play...or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippyfactory

Just wanted to seek opinions with regards to the above:

What's the general sentiments of "Pay to Play"?

Is audtioning with a fee considered "Pay to play"?

Are paying qualified performers, after the "paid audition fees" considered "Pay to play"?

What do people (performers / gigs goers) expect when a gig "pay to play" (OR NOT).

What are the impact of performers and gig organizers?

Just to kick off the discussion going.

Cheers,
TF

Some people like to "pay to play" especially the eager ones
Some will never agree to it.

Auditioning with a fee is considered "pay to Jam" and no gaurantee the auditioners like your face.Haha!

Payback?

Auditioning with a fee is considered "pay to Jam" and no gaurantee the auditioners like your face.Haha!

With all honesty, some auditions are like that isn't it? Such a pity that there are bias b*****d around.

Assuming that the auditioners are professional and unbias:

what about paying the qualified bands, which will cover their audition fees, transportation and meal allowances? (i.e. giving something back to realy solid bands who deserves to be on stage). Maybe a 100 bucks for their effort?

maybe if u come across any such auditioners can post their names here? but most likely those auditioners are too stingy to pay any bands anything,not even 50 dollars for a 5 piece band,believe me, thats' how stingy they are.

pay for auditon, must check out the prizes to the competition first and the number of band signing up too! don't kena conned later 100 band sign up each pay $50 but prize money only $500

OK .. I'll bite ..

It's anyone's pergogative to start a pay to play ... with their own by laws / fees etc ... and of course anyone's perogative to also say NO to pay to play gigs ... me and the members of Soft Band Collective firmly believe in NO TO PAY TO PLAY gigs ... which is what we believe in and what we are all about.

Pay to play is one thing, pay to AUDITION is worse .... infact personally.. I would not even want to pay entry fees for band competitions, etc ...

The only PAY TO PLAY I would agree to is when bands PAY FOR STUDIO REHERSALS to improve their overall PLAY ...
you can never rehearse enough ...

Last edited:
maybe if u come across any such auditioners can post their names here? but most likely those auditioners are too stingy to pay any bands anything,not even 50 dollars for a 5 piece band,believe me, thats' how stingy they are.

Trippy Factory pays $20 per head (maximum 5 piece band) for selected bands for their shows.

Pay to play is one thing, pay to AUDITION is worse .... infact personally.. I would not even want to pay entry fees for band competitions, etc ...

Paying for audition is just showing the organizers that the band is serious about taking part in a competition or in a gig.

Participating bands are putting in time, effort and a small fee in advance, knowing that they will be playing in a quality show with excellent crowd.

The fee simply helps cover cost of the auditioning venue, rental of equipment for some and the time and effort of the organizers. There are also opportunity cost involve as well; we (the organizers) could be investing in stocks and shares making real money or something.

Auditioning bands is not easy and most definately not free, if you see it from the organizers point of view. (hopefully).

If there are no quality control, how can the audience take the band and the show seriously?

In this case, serious bands will pay a small fee to impress the organizers through an audition. If selected, they'll join ranks with other bands of excellent quality, which will attract a great crowd.

IMHO it's a win-win. No good bands wants to play in front of low (or no) turn up.

There are heaps (I mean hundreds) of amatuer or semi-pro bands in Singapore who wishes to perform on stage in Singapore, but unfortunately there are very limited organizers and venue.

Why should Band A be more deserving than Band B? As the saying goes "give and take" - Before you take, you'll have to give.

Just my thoughts.

Looking forward to any response from anyone,
TF

Last edited:
Trippy ...

well, you & your organiztion have your own set of rules & way of doing things, and we as outsiders have to respect that ...

Unfortunately, we from SBC cannot share in your vision as our fundemental beliefs defer ....

Non the less - break a leg to you and all your bands in your gigs ... If we can, someday, find mutual ground to work something out together for an SBC / Trippy gig on mutually agreeable terms - do PM me or my commitee kakis ...

cheers dude ..

If a 2 piece band signed up with $50 and win, they will split the cash price of $250 each. That's 1000% profit. Have you seen it from that angle?
trust me, i try see it from all angles, especially from the point of view of the organisers more than participants. i've seen great competitions with almost unbelievable prizes and i've also seen competitions like the one i mentioned.

if the organiser is going ahead without some kinda sponsors for venue / equipment and even prizes, then prizes will most probably be unattractive. good compeition organisers with good business sense, attracts good participants with good business sense.

Last edited:
I think you should do a search and go through the countless threads on this topic before going any further... if you can make any sense of it, well done.

well, you & your organiztion have your own set of rules & way of doing things, and we as outsiders have to respect that ...

With Massive Respect to you too, FGL. :)

Trippy Factory is trying to bring up the standards of the local bands since 2001. *shucks it's been bloody ten years*
We have done too many non-pay-to-play gigs and we found out one truth: No one is taking the show and the artistes seriously!

Trippy Factory is not out there making money through registration fees or selling tickets. Besides you can't make REAL money by asking for $35 per band for registration or selling $15 dollars per ticket. *oh come on...*

Organizing gigs take lots of time and cost money. That's a fact. Can't deny that no matter which school you belong to.

Before the gig-goers decides which gig to go to, the chief responsibility of the organizers is to make sure that the bands performing in the show is of superb quality. This is first priority. To do so, audition is one of the ways.

Above everything else, Trippy Factory is willing to pay up to $20 per head (maximum 5 piece band) to help cover their cost. Won't the bands be earning back the registration fee already?

Last edited:
I think you should do a search and go through the countless threads on this topic before going any further... if you can make any sense of it, well done.

No need to make perfect sense out of this, jbarks. Nothing and no one is perfect. There's only 3 school of thoughts: it's either you are with it, not with it or neutral with it.

But I am hoping, with my minute (my-nute) effort in this universe of engima, that I can help make sense of why the supposed "paying to play" may not be a bad thing after all.

You give and take: You GIVE up a small fee and a certain amount of time (to practice and rehearse), and TAKE the opportunity to perform in a good solid gig. Eventually, you'll get monetary token amount back from decent organizers and bring home great memories of the show.

Win-win right?

good compeition organisers with good business sense, attracts good participants with good business sense.

Assuming that the registration fee is not for an audition, but for a exclusive gig. A gig that assures you that you will be performing with 2 overseas band and 2 top quality local band. With the right business and entrepreneurial mindset from the selected bands, we'll be looking at strong crowd of 300-400 attendees cheering you on.

Is $35 too much of an amount to pay for an initial investment?

P.s. Business was mentioned twice in your comment. No hint of mockery or sarcasm intended. Peace.

With Massive Respect to you too, FGL. :)

We have done too many non-pay-to-play gigs and we found out one truth: No one is taking the show and the artistes seriously!

?

Your point is well noted beb .. but .. if you ever think about doing another one (non-pay-to-play gig that is) in future (purely as a platform for newer bands to try to get some stage time & exposure, if not for anything else), then do contact us at SBC, we could use your considerable expirience in the industry

cheerz

Your point is well noted beb .. but .. if you ever think about doing another one (non-pay-to-play gig that is)

Although NPTP gigs help "newer bands to try to get some stage time & exposure"; but if it's on the expense on my team's (and my) time and money...I'd rather read a good book to learn something new.

It's extremely unlikely that I'll ever do a NPTP gig, but I thank you sincerely for your invite.

It's extremely unlikely that I'll ever do a NPTP gig, but I thank you sincerely for your invite.

No worries Tripster .. - maybe sometime in the distant future ... u never know ... both our doors are open and swing both ways ...

No worries Tripster .. - maybe sometime in the distant future ... u never know ... both our doors are open and swing both ways ...

How true indeed. Never say nevery right? Once again, with massive respect, all the best to your non-profit projects.

Anyone in this forum FOR "pay to play"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back