Willing to pay an experienced guitarist to pick out a good electric guitar

morphl

Hi, I've had a cheap electric guitar for a while now. I now want to get a really good electric guitar that will stay with me a long time. I've heard that older guitars sound better (due to the wood quality and how the wood changes over time or something) so high-end electric guitars should be bought second hand.

The thing is, I haven't got the slightest clue how to pick a very good second-hand electric guitar. I don't know what to look out for at all (necks bent? Pickups still in good condition? Quality of wood? Serial number to ensure authenticity? Year and place of production?). I want a well-kept guitar that can maintain its value over a long time.

I am willing to pay a fair price for a very good second hand one but I don't want to end up being cheated of many thousands of dollars.

I want a really good guitar that I don't have to change again and that can last me a long time, which I can also use professionally if I eventually get gigs with my band etc.

If it helps, I really like linkin park's guitar sound so maybe the kinds of guitars they use, but also one versatile enough to play other things as well (I probably can't afford another few thousand dollars for a second very good guitar to achieve a different kind of tone).

I'm not even sure how this would work, maybe someone very experienced with the second-hand guitar market could offer me tips and advice on skype and I could pay you a reasonable fee? Or help me pick out a suitable guitar or something. I don't know, just suggest something and we'll see if it works! Can whatsapp me at 97325081 if keen.

Thank you, I really like music and my first good guitar would mean a lot to me (my current guitar is like $300 lol) and it would mean a lot to me for someone to help out a newbie in this area. Thanks.

Brad Delson (Linkin Park) uses PRS (Paul Reed Smith) guitars, and they are not cheap. You are looking at SG$2.5k and up for a second hand one.

Hi, I've had a cheap electric guitar for a while now. I now want to get a really good electric guitar that will stay with me a long time. I've heard that older guitars sound better (due to the wood quality and how the wood changes over time or something) so high-end electric guitars should be bought second hand.

The thing is, I haven't got the slightest clue how to pick a very good second-hand electric guitar. I don't know what to look out for at all (necks bent? Pickups still in good condition? Quality of wood? Serial number to ensure authenticity? Year and place of production?). I want a well-kept guitar that can maintain its value over a long time.

I am willing to pay a fair price for a very good second hand one but I don't want to end up being cheated of many thousands of dollars.

I want a really good guitar that I don't have to change again and that can last me a long time, which I can also use professionally if I eventually get gigs with my band etc.

If it helps, I really like linkin park's guitar sound so maybe the kinds of guitars they use, but also one versatile enough to play other things as well (I probably can't afford another few thousand dollars for a second very good guitar to achieve a different kind of tone).

I'm not even sure how this would work, maybe someone very experienced with the second-hand guitar market could offer me tips and advice on skype and I could pay you a reasonable fee? Or help me pick out a suitable guitar or something. I don't know, just suggest something and we'll see if it works! Can whatsapp me at 97325081 if keen.

Thank you, I really like music and my first good guitar would mean a lot to me (my current guitar is like $300 lol) and it would mean a lot to me for someone to help out a newbie in this area. Thanks.

Hi! can't help replying to your thread.

There's really nothing wrong with your views on guitars ..

1. Cheaper guitars are not necessarily bad.
2. Expensive ones are not always good.

Good guitars are mostly well-played ones that's constantly being tuned and re-tuned / setup etc .. If you're looking for
display, buy an expensive one. Otherwise, buy/try as many as your storage allows because all guitar feels, sounds and plays uniquely.

My two cents.. Hope you find them useful...

Cheerios!
JT

If you don't really know what you want, you can try looking at Reverend guitars. Book an appointment with movementmusic, the dealer here. Their guitars are extremely versatile!

Check if the Kingbolt is in. I bought the Descent (a baritone) and it's incredibly versatile, capable of everything from djent to ambient post-rock. The Kingbolt seems to be the guitar-spec'd version. However, a Jetstream with a P90 neck and hum bridge sounds promising too.

If you want to go the PRS route, the S2 series already sounds great. Even the SE plays well. I'd suggest going for a model with coil split to get single coil tones (better than just "passable" IMO, it's actually good!).

Last edited:
Back