newbie need advice on drum school + drum set

viper

hi guys..I'm new here.
I'm actually very interested in learning drumming and was thinking of signing up for yamaha's drum class at ps.I don't know if their course there is good or not and whether they're actually any other better drum classes avaliable.

they actually have the optional exam.not sure if I should take it.. if I take it is it of any use if I get a cert or something?

also , I am hoping to get a drum set too.my budget is around 600+.the max I can go is 750.any recommendations? some better quality types.

:D thanks !

Hey, welcome...good choice of instrument...drums are just fun

You should check out some of the older threads about people asking for starter kits. It should help for a start.

Around that range you can get a rhythm traveller or the taiwanese/chinese brands like carlos. I got a ludwig for $760. Quite decent but I got cheap cymbals which I don't really like.

For a starter kit, just get something decent. They will last longer and they're just simply better.

I've been learning in Yahama as well but quit recently because I got a kit and the expensive fee. I recommend it because it is really good for beginners. You can learn all the basics etc. I think you do get a cert if you take the optional exam. Are you thinking of joining group lessons or private lessons? Although private lessons are more expensive, they let you learn at your own pace or even faster especially if you already know about music notations, etc.

Try having lessons first and see if you should get a kit. When you get one, it can really make you a better drummer...you know what they say..."practice makes perfect".

I have asked around from people who had taken lesson frm yamaha. Once case i came across is that some of the teacher just teaches you and goes to the next lesson without bothering whether you really learnt it or not. Well.. that didn't really left a good impression of yamaha for me so i never took lessons frm there before, haha.

My advice is to look for other teachers outside of yamaha but im sure the price is much higher.It might cost average $50 per lesson, usually around 1hr or so, it really depends how much the teacher wants to charge you for.

ok Im done here, Over and out

thanks guys for the advice. I'm really confused whether to buy a drum set and learn through dvds or use the money to get lessons.
anybody knows tony zee? where does he conduct his lessons and what's the fee?
thanks guys , I'm really desperate for a teacher.

hey, where do u live ?
yamaha is good, it gives you rock solid basics. But theres better chioces
if u live north, theres a gd place for u.

try tama's stagestar. they rock. haha. as for cymbals, get paiste 302. all these are cheap stuff. you'll probably pay around $1k for these.

as for tony zee, he's real expensive. but very well known and good.

i say stick with yamaha for the basics. i used to learn from yamaha.

SoAp88 said:
hey, where do u live ?
yamaha is good, it gives you rock solid basics. But theres better chioces
if u live north, theres a gd place for u.

whats the good place?=/

I suggest you to go with a second hand drumset. That way, you'll have money left over for a budget cymbal pack. One thing new drummers neglect is the fact that simply buying a whole drumset in a package isn't the end of story. Get some budget cymbals which are decent like the Sabian XS20 or Paiste 302. Even better if you can sneak in a set of drum heads too. :lol:

As for drumming lessons, Yamaha would be fine. I've got no first hand experience there, but from what I'm hearing, Yamaha should suffice.

Otherwise, go with a private teacher. I conduct drum lessons over at my home here in the East. If you're interested, feel free to contact me via PM or email (check my profile).

Back