need help with the law.

marilyn

hi guys recently a friend of mine got into some trouble so want to ask if anyone of you knows how to help.

ok it goes like this, my friend join a pageant competition. so on the day of competition they have to wear watever the sponsors give them. after it ended my friend return the jewellery assigned to her to the in charge, and they found like a bead or one part of it spoilt or missing. so my fren offered to pay for the repairs or the small missing part, to which they refuse saying the whole thing is spoilt already and must be replace becos it is handmade so they will charge her full price n consider her buy the item. but my fren got no money as the jewellery cost abt $200, she still student lah so they made her sign a contract saying she will pay for the item. now they are chasing for it.

my friend feels that it is unfair cos its not her fault so she doesnt want to pay for it, but i understsand it is hard to verify now already so lets not go into who is right or wrong anymore.
my question is, i understand that ppl below 21 in singapore are still consider an infant or a minor so any binding contracts on them can be made voidable at their own decision which means they cannot be bind to anything at all. so can she just heck the contract? cos she is still below 21. anyone got a clue?

pls don post anything too biased or sensitive here as i am already asking something sensitive i guessed. so if you can help n know whats goin with this law i mention kindly drop me a reply here and explain how it works. thanks!

You might be right about the voiding of the contract thing. That law helped me get out of a few glitches :) You might want to double check with a lawyer friend of your family though because I think that law might be conditional for some aspects.

You might be right about the voiding of the contract thing. That law helped me get out of a few glitches :) You might want to double check with a lawyer friend of your family though because I think that law might be conditional for some aspects.

+1

Request for a copy of the contract, then go look for a lawyer.

Good call, pf.

However the law may actually stand, just hang tough. No company will expend needless time, money and resources to go after a paltry $200. In fact, the "damage" is much less than that (because they have retained the item, right?). They are just scaring her (in my book, they are bullying). And their case is shaky at best.

The contract will have to state that the item was damaged under her hands though and the company will also have to prove that it was damaged under her care. Did they inspect the jewelery BEFORE it was handed over? Can they prove that they did? Can they prove that she is the one who damaged it? All very circus circus stuff involved there.

Chances are, the Under-21 law will indeed help her, since it is rather a minor (pun pun!) matter.

sorry to hijack the thread, aren't singapore males under 21 binded by some contract regarding NS? im pretty sure this is defintely legal, but apparently being under 21 allows you to make a contract void. don't really make sense in this case, as most singapore males would try to void this 'NS contract'. care to shed some light on this too?

and marilyn , i love your Signature . hahaha.

thanks jarvis hahaha yea hey guys u guys are really helpful i will let my fren see this page so she might know what to do also. my thoughts are also same its only 200 bucks how would anyone sue for $200 bucks gonna take alot of time n energy n i felt when she related the case to me they were bullying her. and i was also in this top 50 thingy for this sg magazine and we were sponsor alot of stuff too but they never did ask us to pay back anything when they were spoilt. so it really puzzles me when they want to sponsor yet am afraid ppl spoil your stuff. i feel that the event organisers have to be liable for the girls and not the girls themselves. i found out from my fren too that she was made to sign the a contract stating she have to be liable for the item b4 she can go up the stage 5mins prior to the event. so it means its like its no choice one man. just 5 mins b4 competition starts n u have to sign if not no go what kind of event is that man. i wont say which one it is lah of cos not so stupid but if u guys wan to know can pm me hahaha

thanks guys!

Last edited:
Back