My 14-yr Daughter Wants to Buy a Guitar!

I would recommend starting off with an acoustic, in my opinion it is easier to learn the basics on, ie. chords, which will make electric playing a whole lot easier in future.

Otherwise go for a fender strat.

lessons will kill the interest. I think its very important at her stage to make sure that she enjoys playing the guitar, whether it is just playing simple 3 chord songs or simply just messing around the fretboard

*Warning* ...get the real thing...the mini may send the kid thinkin " its' just another toy"

...and end like some of the overgrown kids here on soft!

From one parent to another, I'd suggest you find out what kind of music she enjoys listening to, and get her the same kind of guitar that produces similar tones. It's better to get her something she can identify with, and can enjoy playing rather than something she'll get frustrated and will fight with.

Teenagers are fickle... I remember being one... Same thing with your daughter... Started and quit piano for lots of times. Ended up picking the guitar, and sticking to it simply because my parents told me not to... I listened to Twisted Sister when everyone else was into Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and Bananarama. But the guitar gave me a lot of enjoyment simply from being able to learn my fav rock song, and being able to play it...

This is why I'd advise you to get her a GOOD guitar she can enjoy as a first guitar... otherwise, you get her something she fights with, and you'll end up wasting money because she wants to switch to the drums.:mrgreen:

YES! I have parents who really don't like me buying GOOD gear. I guess they have a point (teenagers are fickle, i'm a teenager, i'm fickle and so they don't want me to spend lots of money on a guitar and end up dropping it) but it can be really aggravating. Like I've been saving up money for half a year (around 2k saved up now) for buying a new guitar but when I tell my Mom I'm planning on buying a guitar she gets pissed and says "no. you already have one".

So buy your daughter a decent guitar please!

Uh ...

What would be the price range of a decent guitar? And what would that guitar be - acoustic, electro-acoustic, or electric?

YES! I have parents who really don't like me buying GOOD gear. I guess they have a point (teenagers are fickle, i'm a teenager, i'm fickle and so they don't want me to spend lots of money on a guitar and end up dropping it) but it can be really aggravating. Like I've been saving up money for half a year (around 2k saved up now) for buying a new guitar but when I tell my Mom I'm planning on buying a guitar she gets pissed and says "no. you already have one".

So buy your daughter a decent guitar please!

Back