My 14-yr Daughter Wants to Buy a Guitar!

EADGBe

She has just started lessons in her secondary school and is planning on purchasing a guitar. She has no music background. Learnt piano, quit and then re-started piano lessons and then quit again.

This time round she appears fascinated with the guitar lessons and has been through a few since the class started.

Should she get a guitar now? If so, what should we be looking at. If not, what should she be told? I know - I'm her guitar-playing dad and should have some ideas.

But ... kids these days - they don't listen to parents. That is why I am putting this thread up so that she can read for herself the advice from you guys out there!

Thanks a bunch in advance!

thats ok i guess,
my 4yr girl wants her own electric..
where can i get a guitar for her size eh?

:confused:

on a side note..
we tend cherish our instrument more,
esp. if it comes from our own pocket money.. *hint ; )

I'm assuming she's not into electrics yet. So that leaves an acoustic or a classical guitar.

A few questions,

-what kind of guitar lesson is she taking? A classical course, or strum and sing lessons?
-does she have any musicians that she looks up to?

thats ok i guess,
my 4yr girl wants her own electric..
where can i get a guitar for her size eh?

:confused:

There's a mini stratocaster I saw last Sat in Swee Lee going @ $150 (not sure if includes GST), will be perfect for young guitarist :cool:

You're right - that is why she will be paying half of it. Using 'installments' from her school pocket money. <smile>.

I think it is an appreciation type of guitar class. And she listens to Avril L's stuff!

on a side note..
we tend cherish our instrument more,
esp. if it comes from our own pocket money.. *hint ; )

From one parent to another, I'd suggest you find out what kind of music she enjoys listening to, and get her the same kind of guitar that produces similar tones. It's better to get her something she can identify with, and can enjoy playing rather than something she'll get frustrated and will fight with.

Teenagers are fickle... I remember being one... Same thing with your daughter... Started and quit piano for lots of times. Ended up picking the guitar, and sticking to it simply because my parents told me not to... I listened to Twisted Sister when everyone else was into Tiffany, Debbie Gibson and Bananarama. But the guitar gave me a lot of enjoyment simply from being able to learn my fav rock song, and being able to play it...

This is why I'd advise you to get her a GOOD guitar she can enjoy as a first guitar... otherwise, you get her something she fights with, and you'll end up wasting money because she wants to switch to the drums.:mrgreen:

thanks a bunch jerry,
nobody touches that strat.. lol

9644a3b9-1.jpg

this image may be copyright to music123

*just kidding around, wish u the best on your soon to be new guitar ..
EADGBe girl, hope all goes well with your new found passion & listen to daddy will ya :)

Last edited:
the best solution, get your daughter the avril signature guitar on sale in the buy/sell section now! however its a electric...

Found somethins quite relevant to beginners:

Yngwie J Malmsteen said:
I don't think anyone can actually teach someone how to play guitar. The desire should come from inside. Once you get past the basics needed to play guitar, the rest is up to you."

From www.stratcollector.com

I think this is something that applies to us all. A Guitar teacher does not teach, but merely guides us along the right path. The willingness to learn and grow, should come from within. Without that, having Joe Satriani as your teacher would still be meaningless.

then ther was light, eric clapton must've learnt from this... :mrgreen:

It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop.
*QUOTE by Confucius

If I'm not wrong, the mini strat you guys talking about comes in many colours....black, metallic red etc.. single pup with 1 tone and 1 vol knob.
However, the intonation is bad unless you're playing only the first few frets.
Further up and it goes totally out of tune.
Need proper set up I guess. Or perhaps its due to the short scale length?:confused:

omgg in my deepest darkest dreams i see myself rocking to the avril signature guitar. if only i was 4 years old!
get it for her, srslyyy

keithC, i think u got it all mixed up..
ts is EADGBe, asking for his/her 14yr old girl..
maybe i shud edit out my prev posts, sry for the sidetrack & distraction.. =)

how bout borrowing a guitar from a friend/relative first? see where her interest goes from there. it took me 2 years before my dad got me my own guitar.

Back