Musical Notation and Sight Reading: important or not?

rottenramone

Borrowed a walking bass book from a fellow softie, Darkred.

It has just musical notation on it, and no tabs. My sight reading is pretty damn rusty too.

Just wondering, do you guys find reading 'tow gay' important? Just want to hear your views. :)

PS Thanks Darkred!

i believe that sight reading is not the most important aspect in music,but its still necessary =) if i have the chance,i want to study it as well

Ability to read scores is a must to have if u want to play music for a living. or at least do well in this business. ... will take a long time to explain this ...

if you are stuck and not improving with your playing even though you are already "good". One thing you need to learn is sight reading ... Trust me it is more than worth the time and effort took to learn it ... It will open your way to endless of resources to improve your playing.

I think it really depends on what stage you are with your playing. Most of us bassists/guitarists usually just took off with reading tabs.

Later, even after we memorized, or became familiar with the fretboard, we still can't read standard notations, but at least we know what notes/scales/time signature we're playing after knowing some music theory.

http://www.basslinepublishing.com/

The above link is about a long-time Mark King fan, Stuart Clayton. He was such a big fan that he started transcribing Level 42 basslines in standard notations when there were none available in the market.

The interesting comment from Mark King on his transcriptions is this: "As I can't read music, I have no idea of what's going on, but it looks really great." (Extracted from Guitarist magazine April 2001 page 15)

Interesting? It's not uncommon that a lot of our guitarist/bassist heros couldn't read music.

B.B.King is another example. He didn't even know what's he was playing in his instructional videos. To him, the only thing that rules his great blues solos is: "It sounded good."

If you're someone who is "playing by ear", and if you're good at it, I don't see any need to force yourself to read standard notations. Techniques and speed development do not depend on reading music. You can still go on to develop your skills, to play complete songs, and to improve on your techniques.

But what Mr_KeyboardMan mentioned is true, if you're doing it for a living, e.g. you're a sessionist, you gotta know how to read music well. Because before the recording/rehersal starts, the first thing you receive is the scores on the songs you've never heard before. That's when you need to read music to deliver your playing.

I gave up on reading standard notations, but i'm still digging music theory, which is more important, for me.

My many cents :wink:

yup,good comments bro,what's the use of reading scores if you cant play your heart out or play as yourself,are you gonna play from the scores forever?not for me,still,sight reading is necessary to me,but its not the most important

Playing your heart out is subjective the situation bro, if you are doing recording or playing in a big band, everything will be messed up.

For soloing, then u can play your heart out and just whack, but still must maintain control.

Composing is the only time where u can truly play your heart out. Just whack, get a concept or an idea, record it then transcribe.

Myself and my frens, we use lead sheets to perform ... cos it's damn hard to memorise so many songs ... but we do improvise in between as necessary.

neway, what i want to say is there are times where sight reading or playing your heart out is needed. You just gotta identify them.

rottenramone, how come you post this kind of question?? haiz.... weak lah. :lol:

being able to read 'tow gay' is like being able to read ABCs.

can you imagine how fustrating it is if we do not understand what is being posted in this forum. we would have to call each other up on the phone or meet face-2-face to communicate our thoughts.

Mr_KeyboardMan said:
Myself and my frens, we use lead sheets to perform ... cos it's damn hard to memorise so many songs ... but we do improvise in between as necessary. .

bro,if got lots of songs,simple chord chart will do what,just for guidance right?then the instrument fill in just use do your own stuff

reyrey said:
bro,if got lots of songs,simple chord chart will do what,just for guidance right?then the instrument fill in just use do your own stuff

What about signature solos of the song, arrangement, synchopations and melody? how to put into a chord chart?. True, sometimes i do use number notation and chord charts, but just dont feels right for me lah. When u have hunderds of songsin yer repertoire, it will be difficult to remember all

Yeah I love fake books. Besides jazz, there's lotsa them pop fake books and rock fake books ... helps me a lot of time

It's a balance. We are all different. The important thing is: just know what works best for you, then, stick to it. If TABS are not working well for you to a certain stage, then, that's the time to force yourself to read standard notations.

I started out as a guitarist on the electric guitar, so, i was never in the environment of having to read music to play my instrument.

I envy those classical guitarists and pianist. They're like reading music since day1. Gotta admit that they do go further in music.

rottenramone said:
i can read it, just its damn slow.

hahaha . i'm like you .. but i'm getting faster a little .. very lag in my sight reading practice .. still trying to catch up .. i have a Christmas booklet that is pure tow gay .. trying to dig that and transpose .. i tranpose "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen" to a tap bass line before .. and written it down . BUT ... i forgot how to play it .. so it's good cos i can go back and relearn it through my tow gays .. at least i won't die trying to retranspose it again .. =)

Hey got this DVD by Paul baloche called Music Theory Made Easy just yesterday.
Wanna sell cos know most of the stuff liao.. good for musicians who wanna improve their theory the easy way. Market price $50. Selling 39.
Interested? email me.. benjso28@yahoo.com
Ben

Pai sei bass brothers.. DVD sold. Got an euthu guy just contact me after I post at Luther. People know that theory is important.

Cheers,

heh... didnt even have time to refresh page and its been snapped up :)

i agree reading is impt.. i guess tt if u want to go semi pro or pro, prob have to get that under ur belt at least to an acceptable level. however, for playing in a band i think chord charts would suffice..

as someone has correctly pointed out, there are phenomenal musos out there who get by with very little sight reading and even music theory. (i think even the guy who wrote our national anthem or some of the early national day songs was this type of muso)

but i think for a majority of us, gd to have some handles and skills to hold on to to help our musical growth...

side pt, classical pianists have my respect, and granted they read more tau gey an an hour that my fave zhu chao stall can fry up in a week... but sometimes they might be lacking in the improv side of things.. playing pop covers might be a whole new ball game to them if u take away their scores :p

Back